• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 920 random massive slowdown and problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sabiancym

Registered
So I've had my system for about a year now and everything has run smooth. Then all of a sudden I went to load up Homefront (which I have played many many times before) and I ran into massive problems. It took a good 90 seconds to launch and another 40 to close.

After that I tried opening other games. Same problem on all of them. They take forever to load, but they do eventually load and play fine. No FPS problems at all. However, some of then have an inch or so of black bars on the top and bottom of the screen....

Needless to say, I'm utterly confused. So I checked my temps, and they're idleing at over 50 C..... and under full load Prime 95 they'r in the high 70s.

I have a corsair H50 cooling this thing, could it be going bad? Should I just re-seat the thing?

If I was having problems everywhere I'd know either the CPU or the cooler was the problem, but the games run fine when I'm actually in them. It's just the extremely slow launch times, and the heat that is worrying me.

Any suggestions?

ASUS P6T Deluxe V1 MOBO
Intel I7 920 @ 3.4ghz
Watercooled Radeon 5970
6GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Corsair P256 256gb SSD
Random 7200 RPM 500GB Data Drive
Creative X-Fi Titanium 7.1 Sound Card
Corsair 850TX PSU
Corsair 800D Case
3x ASUS VW246H 24" Monitors in Eyefinity.

Last edited:
Well, I'm confused.

I turned off the PC for 30 minutes, started it back up and everything seems to be ok. Speeds are fine, everything is launching fine.

My temps are still around 50C idle though....

Could have just been an OS glitch. Are you gaming from the SSD?

Yes

I solved the heat problems, just had a lot of dust built up on the radiator.

But that still doesn't explain the performance issues. It wasn't getting hot enough to affect the performance.

Oh well. It's working fine now, could have just been a glitch.

The big black bar across the screen could be your graphics card overheating. What are the temps on that?

Back