• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 Core prices falling History

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Will prices for the Core 2, dual and quad alike, come down now? I want to give Intel a try..

no they will not drop till april because i7 is a different platform. its prices will not affect the LGA775 platform, april is when intel does its first round of price cuts in the new year. sometimes sooner depending on what amd/ati has going on.

ohh what the? so it will me more than 5 months from now when intel will drop the prices on the C2D and C2Q's? ohhh man :( and they will not come out with no more new cpus except for more of the i7 varients? dang intel.

ohh what the? so it will me more than 5 months from now when intel will drop the prices on the C2D and C2Q's? ohhh man :( and they will not come out with no more new cpus except for more of the i7 varients? dang intel.

intel will still be release LGA775 cpus, just not as often as we are use to in the past. intel even stated the last "NEW" cpu for lga775 would be release around Q2-09. which is about the same time the mainstream neha boards come out.

wow that is a long way to go :( but i guess the LGA 775 won't be dead anytime soon, i'm hoping that intel will keep the LGA 775 alive for like 2-3 years until its time for me to upgrade to a whole new level of performance :)

rad,
i should clarify then, what i said is not when a new cpu for lga775 will come but the last time a new one will. meaning they could release a new 45nm lga775 tomorrow or in april but the last release for one in that time frame i said.

even though there wont be any new chipsets for LGA775 - it has had a good run and remember, most of the publis joe shomoe's - dont even know what it is

LGA775 still has some serious performance in it for %90 of current computer owners who are still on single core and dual core OEM rigs.

i haveno issues buying a q9 series to replace my q6600 as i know it will do what i need for a good 1-2 years more. and by then i7 bugs will be worked out, prices will have dropped and perhaps AMD will be back in the battle :)

ya actually if AMD comes out with something to fight back against a i7, i might actually be pulled towards that from intel, just because of the huge price difference that AMD has always brought to the table. UNLESS there was a MB that came out that supported both LGA 775 and the i7 on the same board, other than that, AMD hurry the *beep* up with your next generation processors :)

That's a negative on the board: i7 is an exclusive $ milking machine platform.

AMD will not have anything to counter i7, but they will have phenomenal (geddit?) price/performance ratio CPUs. :)

that kind of suxs that AMD won't be making no hardcore processor to take on the i7. but if they make something thats can at least keep up with the i7 or at least close to it, i'm hoping that they price their processors like 30% cheaper than the i7. and that the MB would be cheaper too.

That's a negative on the board: i7 is an exclusive $ milking machine platform.

AMD will not have anything to counter i7, but they will have phenomenal (geddit?) price/performance ratio CPUs. :)

Yeah right.
Are Bloomfield going to get some new revision by Q209 ? Coz I dont see any space between them and C2Q where the mainstream Lynnfield might fit.

AFAIK, there are 65W C2Q in the making...there's some hope if these are priced right

that kind of suxs that AMD won't be making no hardcore processor to take on the i7.
Unless you are a server/HPC/3dSMAX guy, AMD is going to be very much in the game.

Unless you are a server/HPC/3dSMAX guy, AMD is going to be very much in the game.

ehhh i'm none of that lol... so AMD is gona still be in the game? sorry i'm kind of sleepy at 1 in the morning, so i really did not get what were you trying to say there. hopefully when i wake up tomorrow morning, i'll read it again and figure out what that exactally means. like if the AMD is gona make something to counter the i7 for the average joe and gaming person, or that AMD is only gona be making killer processors for guys that do servers/HPC/3dSMAX.

Just went to E-bay and used live.com, paid $307 including shipping and insurance for an i7-920 but there will be a $73 rebate so total is $234. Not too shabby.

i also heard that AMD wont compete directly with i7, at least not right now, in about another 1-2 years they may be able to take the crown again.

the only thing they could do now is try for the performance per watt market again but even then they need to be able to beat current c2q and c2d chips... which they cant even do now.

Not too shabby at all Lukee. Welcome to the new Intel Generation.

Thanks.. I took Brolloks' recommendation and got the Gigabyte Extreme X58 board.

330 + 10 for shipping. so 340 on Ebay. -30 for a coupon for november - 82 for Microsoft cashback = roughly $226

So for both the MB and the i7-920 it will be a total of about $460 (226 + 234)

You can't beat that with a stick!! i would urge anyone who is going to upgrade to give it a look.

Wow, that's strange. I got the cash back for the MB immediately in my paypal account. For the CPU, it said that it will take 60 days.

Thanks.. I took Brolloks' recommendation and got the Gigabyte Extreme X58 board.

330 + 10 for shipping. so 340 on Ebay. -30 for a coupon for november - 82 for Microsoft cashback = roughly $226

You can't beat that with a stick!! i would urge anyone who is going to upgrade to give it a look.

Wow, that's strange. I got the cash back for the MB immediately in my paypal account. For the CPU, it said that it will take 60 days.

where did you get the discount at? i can't seem to find them

how does the microsoft thing work?

Go to www.live.com

put in CPU

On the items that pop up, the first should say
CPU Items - www.ebay.com

Click on that link. narrow your search down to i7-920(or whatever CPU you ae looking for). You have to have an ebay and paypal acccount. You have to pay via paypal for it to work.

also, you'll need to create a windows live account if you dont already have one.

When you click on the buy it now button, you'll have to confirm the quantity, then it will show you what your discount will be. Then you finalize it. Once you get an e-mail, you have to follow the link to create the live account(first time).

Now, I did it for the CPU, Motherboard, Power Supply and Computer cases.

So far I was able to purchase the following using this method. Next to each item is the discount.

i7-920 - 73.75
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXT intel x58 chipset - 82.75
Corsair HX1000W HX Series 1000 Watt Power Supply - 68.75
COOLER MASTER RC-932-KKN1-GP HAF 932 BLK FULL TWR-CASE - 38.49

A total of $263.74 in savings. $151.50 were instantly put back in my paypal account, 112.24 are pending. Those will take 60 days.

Most of the prices paid are roughly what they are going for. CPU was like 310 including shipping, MB was like 330 + 10 for shipping. That discounts make it a great deal. the case was only a small discount though due to it's weight and the cost of shipping.
The Gigabyte board was the trickiest one to get. It didn't come up on my search initially.

Back