• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If any of you have a ? about what 80mm fan to use I recomend this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

Over the past month that I have been with this forum I have seen many questions about what 80mm fan to use. This is for those who are new with cooling and not sure what fan to use.

These recomandations are just my opinions so you all have every right to disagree with me. Just dont start huge arguments or debates about wich fan is better.

I recomend these fans

1.Thermal Take Smart Fan 2 80X25
nexfan03_1730_52061189

20.55 cfm @ 1300 rpm 17db
75.7 cfm @ 4800 rpm 45db
also, it generates for static pressure than the vantec tornado from what i heard. meaning it is better at ramming air through thin finned heatsinks.

this fan is about $10 but comes with a 3-4 pin adapter, a nice looking laser cut fan grille, thermal tape, thermal adhesive, a temperature sensor(plug in to fan and fits in case or underside of cpu), screws, a rheostat and a color instuction sheet.

the reasons why I like this fan is because it moves alot of air for the amount of noise it makes, it has 3 functions, and the fact that you can control it from 1300 rpm to 5900rpm. at 5900 rpm it makes more than 45 db of noise but probably moves close to 90 cfm of air.

2. Sunon High-Speed a.k.a. Vantec Tornado 80X38

nexfan03_1730_52257999

84.1 cfm @ 5700 rpm 55.2 db

This fan is about $10 as well but is much larger than the Smart Fan2. this fan also comes with a 3-4 pin power connector.

This fan is very good for cpu cooling ( smart fan 2 is good too) this fan has alot of power to be able to ram the air through thin finned heatsinks and is good for overclocking. The one problem this fan has is NOISE. It is VERY LOUD.

3. Sunon 80X25

nexfan03_1730_51866260

39 cfm @ 2900 33db

This fan is for those of us who are on a tight budget and just need a cheap reliable fan. This one is about $3.50 (not the cheapest out there but the price is resonable for what you get)
this fan moves a reasonable amount of air for its noiseand PRICE. These are NOT good for cpu cooling UNLIKE the other two.

I hope all this helps those who are a bit new with the whole cooling thing. :)

Last edited:
I like Sunon fans a lot, but this a better deal in a 39cfm fan.

http://www.mpja.com/product.asp?product=14377+FN

Anybody that can stand multiple SF2's in the same system is either deaf, or is going to be. The only way they are quiet at all is if you turn them down below the 39cfm level anyway. Like buying a tornado and the putting it on a rheobus, what is the point? 39cfm fans like the Sunon and Panaflo do a great job without assaulting the ears. If you need greater airflow you are either in for some noise or you need to move up to a 92 or 120mm fan.

I've got one of those YS-Tech's, it is dissapointingly loud. By the time you turn the controller down to where the sound is tolerable you have no airflow. Most any other 33-39cfm 80mm fan is quieter than the YS-Tech set to the same airflow level.

I've got that YS Tech as well in use as side intake (might move it to exhaust instead).

Yeah, it's adjustable, but it seems to only have two distinct noise levels. Maybe in the back of the case it won't be as audible.

I looked at the ys tech and its blades dont curve to a 90degree angle wich makes it not very efficent. the smt fn 2 curves to a 90 angle.

I think I'll get me a couple of those smart fan 2's, fan noise what's that. I wont't hear them above my vantec tornado.
My motto is Hear the noise-You know its running :D

Is the Delta FFB 0812 EHE any good? Or is it even too high for the SLK800. I am gonna buy a SLK800, but I am not sure which fan will be the best. The dates of the Delta are nice, if u ask me, although it's noisy.
80 x 80 x 38 mm
134,7 /h
51 db(A)
5700 U/min
:DC 12 V
1,35 A
10,8 W

Ahh just decided to buy the Thermaltake Smart Fan II Cool Mod :D
It looks very good, is effective, cheap and not that noisy. And if it is: 'Hear the noise-You know its running '

If you note my sig i think you'll realize that sound is not an issue here :D

Furthermore the computer will soon be out of my bedroom, i dont mind the sound, if it's loud it's loud...someday i may get watercooling.

I agree with

the smartfan as the best allround fan for use on a hsink
the vantec tornado as the fan witch will give you the best performace
the panaflows are good but expencive
the YS-tec is cheap but its not the best fan around

however i think that the OEM fans that i am using in my setup to be the best value for money. i have 8 in my case and i also brought a spare 20 (for freinds cases and other rigs) the best bit is that they are ONLY 50p!!!!!!!!! (when i bought them) and totaly silent!!!!!!!!!! i dont have any specs but they do flow quite a bit (they would easly better a old psu fan that i had laying around)

currently they are 92p but the price can drop to as little as 50p

go here: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=23880

there a bargin and well worth the money

Back