• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If any of you have a ? about what 80mm fan to use I recomend this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The problem with this list is that it'll turn whoever buys the recommended fans suicidal because of the noise. The $ 3.50 fan is perfectly fine for heatsinks and there are much better fans available at the price.

yes the 3.50 could do fine but wouldnt temps be really high?

and the tornado and smtfnII move alot of air for the amount of noise. with the tornado you would have to by your own rheo though.

hahat.gif

This is with a 24CFM Panaflo on an SK-7. I don't know what the 15°C is - it used to be 19-20°C with my watercooling.

Its a Tbred 1700+ at 8.5x200=1700Mhz.

No, i don't think temps will be too high - you are overestimating the CFMs a normal system needs.

I have 2 SF2s as my intakes, and I had to turn them down more than half way because the noise was just getting to be too much. I'm actually going to replace them with 2 80mm low output Panaflos (24CFM/21dBA).

lo all again.

I got hold of a few 80mm and 120mm fans from an old server a m8 of mine scraped, the 80mm's are just normal nothing special case fans, the 120mm's though are a little differant.

6of them are 120x120x2.5mm but i also got 2 others and they are real monsters 120x120x5mm

is the depth of a fan important in moving air, will the bigger 1s be better if a little louder.

I have a server, that is used as a server/workstation and since coming here i been hearing how keepin ya kool can help a system run better so i was thinking about fitting some of these, i was thinking about cuttin a round hole in the roof of the chassis attach the fans (2 fans mounted back to front, counter rotating adds higher comperssion of air flow i heard on another thread) to ducting and direct the ducting the the CPU riser board.
will this work?

Mark Larson:

"Maybe its not obvious, but if you're gonna cut up the case,
why not just make a 120mm hole for a bigger fan that'll push
more CFM at lower dBA?"

Mark, it is obvious to most of us to do something like that IF you're
gonna cut up the case, IF you have that much case "real estate" to work
with.

Almost any midtower case and many minitower cases can accomodate two 80mm fans side by side mounted at the front bottom of the case without any modification other than cutting the 80mm holes. There are, however quite a few midtower and minitower cases that would require cutting up drive cages in order to mount 120mm fans.

There are some CHEAP silent fans out there. Panaflos aren't all that expensive. It is my feeling, however that Panaflos give respectable air flow at respectable noise levels for a reasonable price.

One point I'd like to make about airflow needs. When I build a system for a friend of mine, I still recommend components that would result in a stable overclocking platform. I do take into account noise as a factor these days. It is my belief that if I build every system as if it were going to be overclocked, it'll undoubtedly be a stable "well engineered" appliance, even if it's run at stock speeds. That being the case, In a "silent" PC I aim for a minimum of 25-40 CFMs of filtered intake with a tad fewer CFMs of exhaust. In a "quiet but cool" PC I aim for 60-80 CFMs of filtered intake with a tad fewer CFMs of exhaust. In all instances I use Panaflos exclusively, for their low noise to CFM ratio.

Electorsoldier:

"6of them are 120x120x2.5mm but i also got 2 others and
they are real monsters 120x120x5mm"

Electro, I think you meant 25mm and 50mm for the depth of those fans. I'm not a physics major or an airflow expert, but deeper fans usually have a different sharper pitch to their blades. At a given RPM, these fans usually move more air and make more noise as well.

"i was thinking about cuttin a round hole in the roof of the
chassis attach the fans (2 fans mounted back to front, counter
rotating adds higher comperssion of air flow i heard on
another thread) to ducting and direct the ducting the the CPU
riser board."

Why don't you post a picture of the inside of your case so we can see the possibilities for fan mounting and advise you as to what our choices would be?

If you're planning on mounting 2 fans directly to each other,
Don't. From what I've read, that doesn't offer any benefits. Ducting an exhaust to your CPU is also a "don't" in my view. I feel IF you're going to duct anything to your CPU, it should be filtered intake from the lower cooler regions of your case.

I dont have a carera to take a pic.

My case is an Intel SC5000 server chassis &fullpg=3&site=Support]HERE is the pdf spec sheet from Intel site, mine is the Tower type without the hot swap SCA rack, you can see in the pic in the manual it laready has to fans blowing into the case but these are directed to the PCI cards.

I would mount a 120mmx120mmx50mm case fan in the roof and guide rather than duct the airflow to the gerneral area of the 2 slot P3s, and then useing the 2 80mm rear mounted exhast fans expel the hot air.

I am unable to add any kind of fan to the drive bays as they are all filled with SCSI hard disks and cooled by there own from panel/5 1/4" cooler boxes (the air passes over the disks and out through the rear 80mm fans.

I know that under normal running the fan mount cools the system fine, and this is how I have been running it, but I now plan to OC the dual 933EB Slot 1 Pentium 3s so a little more cooling would be a good idea.

Also IF i put a side window in it will it affect cooling?
Hope the manual helps I hope to get 1soon and post some pics of my babys in all there glory :)

Ok, is this your case?

server.JPG

Looking inside at the rear of your case:
server_inside.JPG

There are 2 fan mounting locations at the rear of your case. I assume those are for 80mm fans. If you install 2 Panaflow 80mm H1As or 2 80mm U1As, you'll have very sufficient airflow for overclocking.

Looking inside at the front of your case:
server_inside_rear.JPG

There's a ducted fan assembly that pulls air across the hard drives.

Let's look at that fan assembly housing:
dual_92mm_fan_mount_assembly.JPG

According to your manual that fan assembly houses 2 92mm fans!!! That is wonderful! Replace those fans with 92mm panaflo U1As or H1As and you'll have more than enough air flow for overclocking without killing your ears.

Your case already has everything you need in the way of fan mounts to provide excellent cooling suitable for an overclocked PC.

Are we talking about the same case here???? Exactly what is WRONG with the stock fan mounting options you already have????

-BdK

"enough airflow"

I'm assuming you're considering installing additional fans for practical and functional reasons. Those reasons are to be able to provide your CPUs sufficiently cooled case temperatures conducive to overclocking those CPUs.

With this particular case, before I'd jump the gun and make plans to cut holes for new fan mounts:

I'd overclock my CPUs with the case open to see where my CPUs limits are at ambient room temperature without case temperatures inhibiting achieving the highest possible overclock.

Then, I'd install reasonable cooling fans in the provided locations and fully assemble the case.

If my CPUs were able to run just as fast under load as they were able to run with the case open, I'd say my cooling is sufficient. I'd also take note of ambient room temperatures, case temperatures, and CPU temperatures. I'd analyze those temperatures and make a judgement as to the effectiveness of my cooling using the stock mounting options.

IF I were to determine that my stock mounting options were not providing me with acceptable temperatures, THEN I would explore improving that cooling by adding more fans or changing the fans I presently had installed.

If it's not cool enough, I'd suggest an intake fan mounted on your side panel above your CPUs blowing air onto those CPUs. Again, I wouldn't run out and get a delta screamer, I'd put a panaflo that moves enough air to meet my needs. Once again, I feel compelled to state that I don't think you'll NEED to do this with 2 92mm fans for intake with combined airflow ratings of better than 80cfm with a sub-40dba noise rating.

I think you should build your system with good fans in the stock locations and test it first.

-BdK

Yes that is my case bilydkid1970. I dont know if there is enough cooling for what I plan to do, as it is there is surfisiant cooling for what is there, I have just bought some round SCSI cables as I know these will help air flow, I though the problem is that as you guys are always saying that OCing puts CPU and system temps up I should consider adding more fans to counter the heat.

The standard 92mm fans were replaced with Zalman 92mm speed controller fans, the lower 1 blows on to the PCI cards and from what I can see it simple goes over the cards and out throught he expansion slot vent fan, so doesnt really cool the CPUs, The upper of them cools the rest of the case but it also pulls hot air from the disks, so im not sure if this is a real aid to OC'd CPUs.

I must admit I dont like the idea of cuttin a hole in the roof of it for a few reasons but 3 more inportant 1s are the resale value, and looks (its been spray painted Matt black with a silver spay dusting over it, and 3 dust will fall into it even with a filter I cant keep shutting it down to maintain it really as it is in constant use.

I think I will try your advise as 1st it is more sence than my idea (which i never liked, and 2nd I dont really wanna cut a hole in it

Expansion Slot Vent Fan

Electro:

Is that expansion slot vent fan an added part???? I don't believe I saw that in your owner's manual. If so, I personally would remove that slot vent fan. Your PCI cards likely already have sufficient cooling from the 92mm fan blowing across them. Removing that slot vent fan and putting the regular slot cover over the slot so there are no open slot holes to the rear of the case will encourage/direct airflow upwards toward your CPUs and out the rear exhaust fans. Another possibility would be to open up that slot fan assembly and flip that internal fan over so it pulls air into the case instead of out of the case.

When people in these forums discuss additional cooling for better overclocking results, bear in mind that many cases come stock with one cheap 80mm low CFM exhaust fan installed, in some cases the stock fan configurations vary for better or worse, but in most cases we can drastically improve our case cooling by changing our fans, adding more fans, or installing bigger fans, etc. etc.

In your case, having 2 92mm fans for intake is likely sufficient in my view for case air intake in a fully configured overclocked system.

Likewise, having 2 80mm fans for exhaust is likely sufficient in my view for case air exhaust in a fully configured overclocked system.

If we were talking 1 fan for intake (other than 120mm) I might expect to do some case cutting, but two 92mm fans moving ~40CFM apiece should be enough.

Post us a link on the 92mm fans you installed so we can take a look see.

I think your system will be fine with the stock fan mounting options.

Glad to see you're gonna test it first.

~BdK

if you look HERE and click , computers , computer cooling , quiet case fan 92 x 92 x 25 you will see the fans I have, I also have the Zalman Fan mate fan speed controller to control the noise, They are the same as I have on ny Zalman CNPS-6000Cu coolers on my dualie P3 1GHz syatem, I got them because of the noise and I knew they were good.

The slot exhaust vest was added by me (i got it 2nd hand after a guy traded his system in and though it might help getting the air off the cards, I have a RAID controller in there that gets quite hot and a 4 head PCI graphics card that also gets quite hot).

If you look at that site I gave you, I can get any of the items from there as a friend has bought from them before (i have no credit card to buy stuff online) so if you think any of them will be better than the fans I have that will be great.

The 2x 80mm fans running as case exhausts are just "normal" 80mm case fans, I got them from the same place they are called Thermaltake TT 8025 A brushless fans i only got those because they were cheap (£7.99 each compaired to £19.99 for the Zalmans + £12.99 for the speed controller)

Just how hot is hot???

Your 92mm case fans:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnpsfan-f2.htm

After doing a google search, the Zalman ZM-F2 is rated at 53CFM.

Your combined rating for these two 92mm fans ranges up to 106CFM, depending on your fan mate's setting.

This is a respectable amount of case intake airflow. Your zalman fan is noise rated at 36.1dB. This isn't silent, but it's far from loud.

Your 80mm case fans:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/8025.htm

The Thermaltake 8025 is rated at 37CFM.

Your combined rating for these two 80mm fans ranges up to 74 CFM depending on your fan mate's setting if they're connected to it as well.

This is a respectable amount of case exhaust airflow. Your TT 8025 is noise rated at 30dBa. This isn't silent, but it is far from loud as well.

I do think that 53CFM of 92mm fan blowing right across your PCI cards would be enough to cool them sufficiently.

Your hard drives may get warm, and may warm up the air that is drawn over them to some extent. To what extent really depends on just how much heat those drives are radiating. Measuring your case temps during peak drive usage versus low drive usage temps can help you to guage whether or not your case needs more cooling, or merely turning up the fan speeds using your fanmate.

I think you're already off to a good start with the fans you presently have.

I still don't think that slot fan is a necessity. If you're really concerned about managing your case temperatures and have multiple heat sources you want to address, it'll be easier to do so if you have some sort of temperature probe. A compunurse or something better. It doesn't have to be permanantly installed, just so you can close up your case and see what effects things like slot fans are having on your PCI cards' temperature. additionally, you could temporarily remove those scsi drives - they're in a removable cage, right - and see what influence the heat they radiate has on your case temperatures as well. That'll help you to understand the impact they're having.

I'd like to hear some actual fully configured case temperatures. You seem to feel as though you're going to be running a proverbial oven.

Just how hot is hot????

-BdK

When the system is "idle" the fan mate is set to 50% and 100& when running "normal", the exhaust fans are always 100% (no fan mate for them) I think I need a case temp monitor before I try anything as Im not sure on true case temps to start with.

I get no overheat warning from the onboard temp monitors so I guess it isnt as hot as it could be but I think it would be better to know temps inside there before i go messin around.

I let you know temps of the system as it is, as soon as I can get a temp monitor :)

AAdjuster said:
I think I'll get me a couple of those smart fan 2's, fan noise what's that. I wont't hear them above my vantec tornado.
My motto is Hear the noise-You know its running :D

lol

Back