• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IM stuck like chuck :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fly2JZ

Hey guys im new to the forums , I recently made a choice to buy a pc apart from my laptop to do some pretty intense gaming. I bought an inspiron 390 case it has a LGA775 DN079 board unfortanetly thats my biggest mistake because I didnt know at the time the difference but I payed 185 for it with a AMD Radeon HD 5970 GPU , Q6600 Quad Core stock 2.4, it had 4 gb of ram (4x1) now 8gb which is max on my board (4x2) for free from a neighbor and also a with a kentek 775w psu.... to cut to the point I was looking for the biggest upgrade for overall performance for the money I have and that led me to purchase an artic pro 7 which is on the way and try to overclock to 3.2- 3.4 cus im screwed with this ancient board :/ any suggestions on overclocking for the for the first time? should I overclock my GPU too?? and also how far do you think I can take this current settup in gaming?

kentek 775w psu...
Oy.... not good.

that led me to purchase an artic pro 7 which is on the way and try to overclock to 3.2- 3.4 cus im screwed with this ancient board
Heh, you would be lucky if that board overclocked. OEM motherboards typically do not have the ability to overclock.

The system should game just fine, really. There will be a glass ceiling on some titles... otherwise, it will be OK.

Yeah, +1 ED, look into a more reliable PSU as your first component to upgrade. The case is something that will last the ages though, unless you want all the bells and whistles of a new case(SSD mounting trays, USB 3.1 front headers, etc)

Check up on Johnny Guru's website for in depth reviews for a PSU.

Or, if you have the money, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438053 It is probably the most reliable PSU on the market for under $100 right now.

For that system, gaming wise, you should be plenty good for most games.

and Define "pretty intense gaming."

If your trying to save money you could upgrade your video card after the PSU if you need to.

Back