• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm writing my own

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i ordered those books too. about a week ago, i think. i just got vol 2 and vol 3 today. i also got a note saying that if i didn't recieve part of my order it's because it's back-ordered. so i gotta wait a while to get vol 1, i guess. i also placed an order for the xeon book today. probably get it next week or something.

but from what i've glanced at, i'm in for some deep-thinking *shudder at having to think* but it'll be worth it when i get to university and i have a bit of a jump on everybody else :D

oh yeah, and if anyone's wondering, the books are COMPLETELY free-there's no cost to order them, or to have them delievered :D always nice for those of us who don't exactly have the funds to go out and buy a stack of computer books *glare lil stumpy* :D

-daga

daga5831 said:
i ordered those books too. about a week ago, i think. i just got vol 2 and vol 3 today. i also got a note saying that if i didn't recieve part of my order it's because it's back-ordered. so i gotta wait a while to get vol 1, i guess. i also placed an order for the xeon book today. probably get it next week or something.

but from what i've glanced at, i'm in for some deep-thinking *shudder at having to think* but it'll be worth it when i get to university and i have a bit of a jump on everybody else :D

oh yeah, and if anyone's wondering, the books are COMPLETELY free-there's no cost to order them, or to have them delievered :D always nice for those of us who don't exactly have the funds to go out and buy a stack of computer books *glare lil stumpy* :D

-daga

Muhhahaha, I'm also getting an intermediate C book, Pascal book, and maybe an advanced C++ if they have that.

All veddy soon :D

you just have to go to http://www.intel.com and poke around for pentium4 architecture manual. you should eventually come to a list of 4 books, 3 are on the p4, and 1 is on the xeon. sorry i can't give you the direct link, but i have to leave for school in a minute, and i don't wanna sift through their entire webpage...sorry :(

hopefully you don't have any trouble finding it :D

-daga

wow...that was fast...in a previous post (feb 18) i said that i ordered the xeon book from intel. i got home today and found it on my doorstep! i thought it would take at LEAST a week...anyways...yeah...

-daga

Man, writing your own OS, that is so cool. I would have no idea what to do. I haven't finished reading the thread yet, but plan to. Good luck in the development.

Axle

I was reading through the thread and seen your troubles with getting a web server. I'll donate any space/bandwidth you need. I've got a server sitting on multiple Gigabit lines. Basically an upspeed of whatever the NIC card maxes out at. Tons of transfer, so no worries there.

And yes, all the scripting you could want, php and perl :)

A JVM would be excellent. I'll do some research, maybe get ahold of some of the JVM developers from the IBM JVM project, see if i can get some resources.

BTW, openprojects is now under freenode.net on IRC

irc.freenode.net

I'm on irc.zirc.org in #ocfoldingteam all the time.
email is [email protected]

Cluster said:
I was reading through the thread and seen your troubles with getting a web server. I'll donate any space/bandwidth you need. I've got a server sitting on multiple Gigabit lines. Basically an upspeed of whatever the NIC card maxes out at. Tons of transfer, so no worries there.

And yes, all the scripting you could want, php and perl :)

A JVM would be excellent. I'll do some research, maybe get ahold of some of the JVM developers from the IBM JVM project, see if i can get some resources.

BTW, openprojects is now under freenode.net on IRC

irc.freenode.net

I'm on irc.zirc.org in #ocfoldingteam all the time.
email is [email protected]

Right now I have the hosting @ esmartstart but if it isn't much trouble it would be great if u could host it. If you wanna pm me we can work it out.

DAWM! Making a whole OS. That is impressive. I am 15 as well and I know HTML, VB 6.0, C, C++, Java, Javascript (College Course) but I don't think I will be doing that kind of stuff. GOOD LUCK!

So how are things with this comming. I would like to help write a program when you get it done.

Update us!

hey garfield...i'll race ya! i'm starting at a tech school in september, and i'm going to be specializing in "embedded systems". i'll have to develop my own real-time OS. i'll graduate in 2 yrs. i won't even be starting the OS until my 2nd year. so you'll have a 2yr head start ;) let's see who wins :D

-daga

Damn, its been a year....this is amazing that there will be an os "born" from O/C

How is the production of it going? Did you finish the bootloader? ;)

I think garfiled disapperead, maybe Intel kinapped him after gettting his address and info from those books! I heard Intel chains their engineers to their workstations and raises their temps to 70C if they are bad! :D j/k of coarse

Back