• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IMPERIAL DEATH CASE COMPLETED!! lots of pics, 56k'ers beware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

ok for those of you who may know (and those who don't, even :D) i came up with the idea for an 'imperial death case', i.e. a computer case with the imperial symbol from star wars cut into the side, as an alternative to the boring round and square windows that are becoming so cliche these days. well, a few days, and too many dremel wheels later, here is the finished product.

what you are about to see is a pseudo-chronological history of the making of the case. this is my first case mod ever, and on top of that, my first time ever to use a rotary tool.

case: Chieftec (antec clone, you know, the case that everyone has)
tools: black and decker RTX rotary and a lot of dremel reinforced cut off wheels.

sorry for the image quality...these are scanned with an old scanner, i borrowed my friend's digital camera but i need to get a battery for it, so expect some better pictures in a few days.

first pic: the initial design drawn onto the inside of the case side.

finished product....with plexi liquid-nailed into place and enermax 431w PSU freshly installed.

just for clarification, this scan doesn't do it justice at all. hopefully the digital shots will help show it a little better.

final shot..this one is pretty cool i guess. but once again, no justice is done.

in a few days, i'll come back and post the digital shots, and a shot with the blue cold cathode on in the dark will be included. it should be phat!

thanks for looking at this thread and please tell me what you think, if i did a good job (or a bad one!), and basically whatever you feel like saying about my case.

laters,

jeff

i'd say, all of the cutting time added up would probably come to roughly 2 hours, but this is over the course of 3 days, off and on.

then there was the painting process that took a few days, then the gluing of the window, so whole process, from start to finish, i'd say a week.

jeff

Nice job Jeff...
Just wondering, wouldnt a RotoZip tool have done it quicker??? I noticed that alot of guys here in the forums use the Dremel.. the RotoZip cuts all kinds of material, and they really dont cost all that much...

I really just wanted to say, Good Job!!!!!

Charlie :beer:

Excellent job Jeff! That looks really good. :D Do you know how many cutting wheels you went through? I’m going to be starting on my UT case in a few days, and I want to be sure I have enough. ;)

64Thunderbolt said:
Nice job Jeff...
Just wondering, wouldnt a RotoZip tool have done it quicker??? I noticed that alot of guys here in the forums use the Dremel.. the RotoZip cuts all kinds of material, and they really dont cost all that much...

I really just wanted to say, Good Job!!!!!

Charlie :beer:

You gonna put some cool blue or green light behind that man???

that loooks awesome, very clean job dude

i don't know about a rotozip cutting through case steel/aluminum, i think that rotary drill bit would get chewed up in a few seconds, have you ever tried to cut your case with the rotary cutting drill bit with a dremel?? it makes alot of noise but dosen't cut that well

Jeff Bolton said:
yeah, and wouldn't that look nice with a custom imperial 120mm fan grill on the top? :D it will, my friend, it will.

jeff

Are you getting a custom grill for your case too? :D

thats sweet!!! too bad it wont look rite unless you put a blue lite behind it:(
btw what is a rotozip?? link me

Jeff Bolton said:
finished product....with plexi liquid-nailed into place and enermax 431w PSU freshly installed.

Jeff, that's looks great! I just have a question about attaching the plexi to the side door. What is "liquid nail"?

cant you get that stand thing for a dremel and those bits???? and just do it that way? and will those bits cut thru metal??

Back