• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improv Water Chiller: SS Phase & CPU WC Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your going to need to insulate better where the single stage meets the the water block. Otherwise your trying to cool the entire room and not just the block next to it.your also probably gonna want to insulate your water lines. This should help control both the condensation, and the amount of condensation you have going on. Some Pipe Insulation from the hardware store should do the trick.

I'm gonna try insulating first, then I'll try removing the rad altogether. Just changing one thing at a time and documenting the results :thup:

Also, I may be "losing cold" at the evap/DTek connection since all I have is a towel wrapped around the sides of the evap...I couldn't find my armaflex...

EDIT: TJ and I were thinking the same thing :D

If having a larger mass of cold water is the benefit of a radiator, perhaps a large insulated reservoir would be much better. Less restriction, bigger volume, and easier to insulate.

If having a larger mass of cold water is the benefit of a radiator, perhaps a large insulated reservoir would be much better. Less restriction, bigger volume, and easier to insulate.

What about if he submerged the Rad in a cooler full of distilled water/anti freeze would it add load to the loop. Or hold temps better/longer giving him more MASS, maybe even toss is some ice.

I don't like that rez on a Subzero run, maybe just the pump then use a water cooler for a rez.

What about if he submerged the Rad in a cooler full of distilled water/anti freeze would it add load to the loop. Or hold temps better/longer giving him more MASS, maybe even toss is some ice.

I don't like that rez on a Subzero run, maybe just the pump then use a water cooler for a rez.

I've submerged my rad into a bucket of ice water + lots of ice + anti-freeze and it worked very well.

Like I said earlier, I've done it two different ways: Submerging the rad into the bucket of ice and water, and using the bucket as the rad. :)

Here is my quote from the HWBOT Rankings thread:
I did freeze my waterloop using two methods:
A) Put the rad in a bucket of ice + water, and some anti-freeze
B) Used the bucket as the rad with water, ice and some anti-freeze in the mixture. I used panty-hose as a filter to not let any ice into the loop.

Creative setup. I would probably remove the rad and go with a large insulated res instead personally. Ill be watching, bet that some interesting results are going to come out of this.

I guess I can see the ice water bucket be good to keep the rad at around 0-5c (ish) but it would also be more difficult to take any temps below that if it would be desired.

I've submerged my rad into a bucket of ice water + lots of ice + anti-freeze and it worked very well.

Like I said earlier, I've done it two different ways: Submerging the rad into the bucket of ice and water, and using the bucket as the rad. :)

Here is my quote from the HWBOT Rankings thread:

Probably where the thought came from, I got a big cooler with two hoses in the lid. So then the rad should come out of the loop as he would want to go far below those temps I assume.

The only thing I can think of is that the thermostat was removed so that the system would run constantly. From what he posted looks like his gains came from simple adjustment of fluid levels and insulation.

Cool!
I'll have to start a thread for that, getting cooler here as the temps slowly go down.

Edit: No more work on this?

Last edited:
Back