• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Increasing memory frequency affects writing to SSD disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntonS

Hi all! I face a weird issue when I increase memory to 3200MHz I start getting "write test" failed to SSD from Intel. My desktop periodicaly crashes during the setup of new programs. However, all the load tests (memtest86, cpu load, games) are fine. I test SSD in Intel SSD Toolbox and write test fails. As long as I decrease memory to 3133, all is good. My setup:

Ryzen 7 2700
ASUS B450M-A
f4-3200c15d-32gtzr
GTX1070
INTEL SSD 760p - 256GB

When I use DOCP, the memory boots with 3200MHz 16-15-15-35. Disabling geardown prevents the comp from booting at all (bios reset helps). I have changed the SSD, I have given the processor back for testing. The memory passes memtest 86 for 6-8 hours. All looks good. But as soon as I try to use 3200MHz I have issues. I would really appreciate your input and the direction. I suspect that some tunnings to voltage is required on MB, but I am looking for help from you. Unfortunatelly, the seller does not wanna take anything back, as he does not accept the issue. Thanks!

cpu.PNG motherboard.PNG ryzen-master.PNG

Last edited:
Is that BIOS the latest for the board? May want to see if there is something newer there and see if that helps.

AMD isn't my thing but that feels like a lot of RAM at that speed for Ryzen. Some voltage tweaks may get you there though.

Thanks your answer EarthDog. The BIOS is the latests updated. Unfortunately, I do not have enough experiense in tunning those voltages, so decided to ask for help here.

AMD isn't my thing, so hang tight until some of the guru's get here, we'll get you squared away one way or another! :)

Memory speed affects many things on Ryzen as all is connected to the same main bus. I have no idea how your motherboard handles higher frequency memory but 32GB in general is harder to set than lower capacity memory.
3200 CL15-15-15 is not designed for Ryzen and you can't count it will run perfectly fine using XMP. As you see, it boots at CL16 because of the way how Ryzen works.
Try 16-16-16 1.35V ... if it won't work then try 1.40V ... if it won't work then try 16-18-18 1.35V
also try with higher SOC voltage like +0.1V

Memory affects storage performance on all platforms with any form of integrated controllers. Mostly it's because all caching is going through RAM. The same the CPU affects speed as it works as storage controller (not exactly but to give you some idea).
If you get storage errors then it can be just RAM error as all is connected. I would try different settings and later check memory stability. Can be memtest 86/86+ or some windows software. I'm usually using AIDA64 memory+cache tests but can be something else.

Thank you Woomack for your answer. I have increased the frequency to 3200MHz and voltage on memory from 1.35 to 1.39v and did several tests. Looks like the desktop is running stable now. The SSD test passed and stability looks ok.
The memory is running on 16-15-15-35. If I disable geardown, it does not boot up at all. I decided to live with 16-15-15-35 on 3200MHz.

Back