• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Inherited old computer overvlock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zmrstk002

Hi
I have recently been given an old computer specs below:

CPU: Pentium g3220
Gpu: Geforce gt630 2GB
M board: MSI h81m-p33 (ms-7817)
Ram: 4GB DDR3 (nfreg 1999.5mzh)
HDD: 500gb

As i a new to the scene to start with i was wondering if any of the above can overclocked to increase performance.

Also im think of increasing the ram by 8gb as it has a free slot. Would it be possible use the old ram with a new 8gb slab?

I am in the process of saving up for a new rig but it will take some time. For the moment i am hoping to play games such as cities skyline, total war, football manger and older FPS. But just want to maximise this current set up best i can.

Thanks

You can add a 4gb stick (preferably same as the one installed).

I believe those are overclokable by a large margin, even on H81 chipset.

If you throw in a used 7970 or 280x, you'll be able to play ALL current games on high to very high settings@1080p.

Edit: I might have mistaken on the OC... If you can change the BCLK (Baseclock) in the bios it should be possible though (Stock is 100MHz, and you have straps@100MHz, 125MHz, 166MHz)

The statement about gaming is still valid though, even without overclocking ;)

Last edited:
You can add a 4gb stick (preferably same as the one installed).

I believe those are overclokable by a large margin, even on H81 chipset.

If you throw in a used 7970 or 280x, you'll be able to play ALL current games on high to very high settings@1080p.

Edit: I might have mistaken on the OC... If you can change the BCLK (Baseclock) in the bios it should be possible though (Stock is 100MHz, and you have straps@100MHz, 125MHz, 166MHz)

The statement about gaming is still valid though, even without overclocking ;)

Agree with everything here. A matching 4 GB stick of RAM will be fine, and perform better than a mismatched pair. Ditto on the graphics cards. If you're buying a new card, it's a great time to be alive. :) 1060s and 480s and 1070s, oh my! And at 1080p you can max out settings well below the top of the GPU food chain. No need to go farther than a 1070. I just ran the War Thunder game benchmark with everything maxxed out and got a minimum 229.4 fps. Average was 368 fps. Not a demanding game, but nice numbers. I forget the exact numbers, but an RX 480 slayed it, too.

Found it:
War Thunder benches (Battle of Berlin)
RX 480
Average FPS 283.8
Minimum FPS 189.4
Rating 26100

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback

With regards to OC the Cpu and Gpu im finding mixxed information as to if it is possible to do so. Some information i have read says that the processor is locked?

Also in regards to RAM would it be possible to put DDR4 in as the prices seem to be similar?

Thanks again

Processor is locked (multi is locked), but might be overclocked through base clock (BCLK) straps.

Thanks for the feedback

With regards to OC the Cpu and Gpu im finding mixxed information as to if it is possible to do so. Some information i have read says that the processor is locked?

Also in regards to RAM would it be possible to put DDR4 in as the prices seem to be similar?

Thanks again
No you cannot put DDR4 in that board.

What version of windows are you running? If it is a 32 bit install you are limited to 4 gigs of RAM.

Good to go.

I would not be putting much money into this machine. See how it runs as is or with any overclock you can get.

I don't see a good upgrade path here and just see a money pit.

What is PSU in this machine. That will dictate the GPU that you could put in it.

If you do upgrade stuff, the used market is your friend.

Last edited:
As Tir na NOg said, that processor is locked down. You would need to find a modified bios to unlock it so as to overclock via the BCLK. I'm not sure any modded bioses exist for that chipset and socket generation. There are modded bioses available for socket 1151 and Z170 chipset boards.

Back