• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insane cpu temperatures during idle and gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrPhilth

Registered
Hello guys! I have come to ask why I have been having such bad temps on my cpu and how I might possibly fix it. Currently, I idle at about 60(RARELY) to about 85 degrees Celsius. During gaming it maxes out at a WHOPPING 99 DEGREES CELSIUS. This is after I had cleaned out my case and heat sink, keeping my bedroom at a cozy 76 degrees farenheit. I am running an AMD Phenom II x4 processor and have a great case for cooling (Coolermaster Sniper). My immediate guess is that I may have to clean off my processor and reapply new TIM. But I'm very unsure. If you need pics from CPU-Z and CPUID monitor just let me know. All comments are greatly appreciated. Cheers! :D

Sounds like a bad heatsink mount to me, and/or a TIM application issue like too much or too little.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I remember having moved my heatsink off of the processor by mistake a couple of months ago. (I know, very hard to make a mistake like that, but I was being quite careless in the decisions.) Could it be that moving it off of the processor and reapplying it might ruin the TIM application?

If you have moved the heat sink from the cpu then just placed it back then yes you need to clean off the old TIM and replace it with new. It can trap air in the TIM and that will act like an insulator to keep the base of the cooler from being able to transfer the heat away from the cpu.

Make sure to clean the cpu and base really well, I use alcohol and shop towels to clean mine. Apply the new TIM. You can search on here for best applications and how much to use there are a bunch of threads on it.

If you use to much it wont let the base come into contact and will cause higher temps. If to little you wont have enough surface contact and can cause the same thing. The TIM is basically there to fill in the voids where the heat sink wont have a perfect fit up with the cpu.

Make sure to clean the cpu and base really well, I use alcohol and shop towels to clean mine. Apply the new TIM. You can search on here for best applications and how much to use there are a bunch of threads on it.

If you use to much it wont let the base come into contact and will cause higher temps. If to little you wont have enough surface contact and can cause the same thing. The TIM is basically there to fill in the voids where the heat sink wont have a perfect fit up with the cpu.

Okay, thank you! Also, is there any certain type of alcohol you use?

The best thing to use to do the final wipe is a coffee filter like the ones in a 100 per bag for home use. They are paper and NO lint.

OP: Please tell us what you use to monitor temps and how you would check temps under stress. Meaning loading the processor to check for stability and temps.

Okay..... No secrets here.

If AMD, you should use Coretemp. If Intel, Realtemp is great. Use Prime 95 once you get your idle temps under control.

So, redo your thermal paste. You want to use a bit, larger than a grain of rice, smaller than a small pea. Put the cooler on top, do NOT sqiush, give a light twist. Install the cooler pushing down and tighten in an X pattern. You don't want the paste to all go to one side. There are a BILLION ways to do it and you should become informed and LEARN. Spend a while on youtube and learn how to do it right.

BTW, once you have 5 posts you should make a sig to help us troubleshoot if there are more issues later. Read many of our sigs and you can see what matters. We don't need to know the keyboard, mouse, and the foo-foo, just the basics.

Last edited:
The best thing to use to do the final wipe is a coffee filter like the ones in a 100 per bag for home use. They are paper and NO lint.

OP: Please tell us what you use to monitor temps and how you would check temps under stress. Meaning loading the processor to check for stability and temps.

Okay..... No secrets here.

If AMD, you should use Coretemp. If Intel, Realtemp is great. Use Prime 95 once you get your idle temps under control.

So, redo your thermal paste. You want to use a bit, larger than a grain of rice, smaller than a small pea. Put the cooler on top, do NOT sqiush, give a light twist. Install the cooler pushing down and tighten in an X pattern. You don't want the paste to all go to one side. There are a BILLION ways to do it and you should become informed and LEARN. Spend a while on youtube and learn how to do it right.

BTW, once you have 5 posts you should make a sig to help us troubleshoot if there are more issues later. Read many of our sigs and you can see what matters. We don't need to know the keyboard, mouse, and the foo-foo, just the basics.

I'm currently using CPUID Hardware Monitor. What are the advantages to using Coretemp?
Also, thank you for the info regarding installation and what to use to clean the processor!

I'm currently using CPUID Hardware Monitor. What are the advantages to using Coretemp?
Also, thank you for the info regarding installation and what to use to clean the processor!

HWMonitor is all you need for temperature monitoring.

You never mentioned what CPU you have, that's why. AMD is different. Try Coretemp since you have an AMD CPU. And compare temps between the programs.

You never mentioned what CPU you have, that's why. AMD is different. Try Coretemp since you have an AMD CPU. And compare temps between the programs.

I did mention what cpu I had. I stated I had an AMD Phenom II x4.

Update:
So I haven't been able to get and TIM today due to a very tight schedule. But have noticed that my CPU when Idle will go down to 55c now. But with the ever so slight use, skyrockets to about 90-99c. When I say slight, I mean just moving the damn cursor around will make this thing jump that amount of temperature. I really hope this is still just due to the TIM and not my CPU being a bit shot.

Back