• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insane cpu temperatures during idle and gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update: So I just found out today that it was not only in fact a problem with the TIM, but the mount on my motherboard was cracked. So I had to replace the heatsink with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO so that I could use their custom metal mount. I also Replaced the TIM with some beautiful Arctic Silver 5 and I am down to 35c now!! Thank you guys for all your help! You are all wonderful people :D

Yeah lol. It was the craziest thing. I guess my CPU was hitting insane temps for a while then. But I've never seen anything like that happen before.

AS5 is olddd. Not wonderful. Go to Skinneelabs.com and read about it. AS5 still works, there is better. Knowledge... Save the page.

35C is idle right? Load er up and really check your temps. Standard PC checks everytime for builders.

Last edited:
Yeah 35c idle. I only go up to maybe 45-49c when under heavy load. I would have gotten something newer and better but that is what was available at microcenter. Either way, SUPER happy that I resolved this problem.

Soon I would like to see how Indigo Xtreme performs. Have any experience with that?

No. It's expensive as all heck and only comes with TWO applications. It's easy to mess up. And a few better C temps. If your a bencher and your at the temp limits trying to beat xx for the top spot then it's only money for racing and benching.

Not for anyone with your background, not yet.

Maybe you should read Skinnelabs.com first and become informed.

Lets talk about your heavy load. Prime 95 small ffts for 10 minutes.

Record room temps at idle. Record idle temps ON ALL CORES. Run load test. Record room temps. And load temps same as above.

Make sure your using a good temp proggy, not Mobo software.

rtozflG.jpg
So I hope posting this picture worked. But if it didn't then whatever.
So here are the results.
Pre-Torture Test:
Room temp: 77f~ (25c)
Idle temp: Core#0-36c Core#1-36c Core#2-36c Core#3-36c (As read on CPUID HWMonitor)

Post-Torture Test:
Room temp:77f~ (25c)
Load Temps: Core#0-51c Core#1-51c Core#2-51c Core#3-51c

Last edited:
Good temps. 51C on that CPU gives you 5-10C to play with.

Just out of curiosity, what does coretemp give you for temps? Some AMDs don't like HW Monitor, the new ones are fine tho.

Just making sure, I'm not an AMD user. Just something I have seen.

Just re tested. Coretemp is giving me the same results.
And I was reading on Skinneelabs like you told me and so far the best two I have read about (according to temp tests and price per gram) is the PK-1 and TIM Consultants Quantum. Any opinions on those?

My laptop CPU is normally around 55-59C when gaming i hit 72 celcius last night playing csgo. It's rated for up to 109C should i be concerned at all or am i fine?

My laptop CPU is normally around 55-59C when gaming i hit 72 celcius last night playing csgo. It's rated for up to 109C should i be concerned at all or am i fine?

If it's an Intel then anything under 85°C is safe. Anything higher and you'll risk getting stability problems and it can't be good for the chip either.

If it's an Intel then anything under 85°C is safe. Anything higher and you'll risk getting stability problems and it can't be good for the chip either.

You should not have stability problems with stock voltage and clock.

You should not have stability problems with stock voltage and clock.

Unfortunately, I was working on an HP laptop that what show symptoms just like a hefty OC, even with stock clock and voltage!
(When the temp was near the shut down point, but still should have been stable, especially if it can throttle it.)

Even worse, I wasn't doing anything nearly as demanding as Linpack, I was just starting the Windows 7 installer, LOL.

Back