• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed new PSU, refuses to do anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

OK So I got a replacement PSU for a friends Compaq Presario "5000". I read that some of Compaq's PSU's are proprietary and use weird connectors and such so I pulled it and all of the connectors and such are the same as any other normal ATX PSU that i've looked at, so I went ahead and had them buy an Antec SmartPower 2.0 350W PSU.

Now i'm here and I slide it in, plug everything in, flip the back of the switch on the PSU to I and press the power button... nothing... try the switch in the back again... nothing... check all other connections... nothing...

My next step is to rip out the PSU and stick it in another computer and see what happens but that'd be a pain so I figured i'd ask here first.

Is there any chance that the mobo is tryin to start the PSU up in it's "proprietary" manner? If so how could I rig it so it makes the PSU start up "normally"?

Thanks.

Well crap upon a harder look I noticed, on the Compaq PSU the blank pin on the 24pin connector is in 1 spot, and the one on the Antec is on the other row. Like there are 2 rows and the blank one is 4 from the side and on top, well in the Antec it's still 4 from the side but it's on the bottom.

Now what? :-(

break out the DMM, check all voltages on the atx p1 connector and change all the wires to the compaq spot :) with a pin and some brain power you migh tbe able to salvage it :)

Ok, but how would I manage to take out the wires and put them in different spots? I know there is a tool that takes out the metal contacts but I don't have it nor know of where to get one locally.

Test the Antec in another rig first, just to verify it works. There are probably more than one wire different. With Compaqs you just can't tell. Odds are you are going to have to get a Compaq replacement PSU and bite the bullet on the Antec.

Back