• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Sandy Bridge performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He tested Win SMP -bigadv, on a p6900 and regular Win SMP on p6074

It's built like the 1st generation i7. It has 4 physical cores + Hyperthreading (adds 4 logical cores). You set it up to fold just like the 1st generation i7. Either -smp or -smp 8 will result in the use of all 8 logical processors.

LGA1155 only gets quads if i recall correctly.
LGA2011 gets quad channel memory and quads, hexes, and octos.
LGA1356 I just read about earlier today, maybe intel decided quad channel ram was overkill? Maybe 2011 is like 771 in that it's server only? (Read, where the SR2 replacement will be).

Making a purchase Chas??

The construction economy in this part of the country is still quite depressed. It'll have to get a lot better before I spend any money.

With my luck, when I do spend the money to get those 50,000 ppd, PG will come to their senses and change the bonus scheme that rewards folks with such ridiculous ppd.

ChasR, is there any reason in particular that you'd chose a GA-P67A-UD5 over say, a P8P67 Deluxe? It looks like the P8P67 Deluxe is a better board and cheaper. Not sure if GB overall quality is much higher these days than Asus or something.

My main concern with most of these boards is that they have 6 SATA ports when I have 7 SATA drives :(. I don't really want to buy a card, or use my old PCI one :-\.

I picked one at random just for pricing. Not the most expensive one but close. I have a good mix of ASUS and Gigabyte boards. Hard to say which is best in general.

I just bought a 950 (have ~$260 in it) and a mobo (have ~$200 in it) and haven't even put it together yet. In fact I already took delivery of the mobo and it was damaged... so its on route back to the Egg for a replacement. I'm going to call them tomorrow and have them give me a refund instead of a replacement. Sell the 950 for something close to what I paid and put a few extra dollars into a Sandy Bridge combo. At this point it just doesn't make sense to put new 1366 hardware into use when a now much better option exists.

I think I'm gonna get a P8P67 Pro and 2600k after I get my tax return, then try to sell my 1366 stuff. It actually feels like a step down from X58. But the majority of the use is for folding, so it'd be best to cater it to that.

I'm wondering how it'll do on p2684. I hate that WU. Would like to see more power figures too.

New socket. The i7 2600K is a mainstream desktop product, priced at $317. AC is going to cr*p when he see's how high intel has raised the bar!

If the Bulldozer does not come out soon, I expect this Tock to be more of a (((BONG))). As for the price,,, SICK! ... On that note, all of the folks that paid more than 400 for a CPU got screwed my inhel again.

So can I interest you gentleman in 30 or so Asrock X58 Extreme mother boards :):):)

Grumbles and wanders off muttering %^&*(( Intel . :rain:

Back