• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel's 2008 Roadmap: a definite dis to AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This isn't a suprise at all. The market for processors fluctuates and this is just a small downturn. Intel will slow their innovation and raise prices due to a lack of competition but that should give AMD a chance to make a comeback like they did when the Athlon's stormed out. Competition will come back and we'll see another fight and processors will be better and cheaper for a while. One big cycle.

sure there is always that but i'm talking new stuff, the q6600 is nice and clocks well but i wouldn't spend my money on it, simply put i hate intel, and a pure blooded amd fanboy plus there is not much future proofing with intel setups. as seen with the mountain load of new chipsets they keep releasing not to mention the chipset alone for the x48 is $70. cost wise and future proofing i would recommend amd as for the best performance for your cash i would recommend intel. being a system builder thats how i see things. unless i see major price cuts on the Q9650 i doubt i will recommend it. as the same performance can be achieved from a chip costing 1/3 as much with a nice O/C. those days are coming back again were u want the performance of a >$1000 chip u buy a cheaper one and O/C it.

I am an AMD fanboi too. When they make a 3GHz quad I will switch back :)

I was surprised when they bought out ati, as I thought amd always played nicer with nVidia and intel/ati. Oddly enough... nVidia/sli chipsets are cheaper then intel/CF setups even though CF is cheaper then SLI.. why? Oh yah/// CUZ ITS INTEL

I hate intel. More expensive chipsets, and for all the "overclocking advantage" intel stuff tends to die. I never killed a CPU before switching to intel. Killed 1 mobo in my life on amd (it came back to life on its own) killed 4 with intel in the last year.

Killed 2 sets of ram on intel (both were micron though) and on PSU killed one on each. Intel was cpu died and killed psu. AMD was purely my fault. put a long screw into hdd shorted out and melted rail on psu as well as smokinghte hdd (actually.. psu still worked except that rail :O) )

intel used to be great, but lately, reliability wise they suck

I don't see the point of fanboism.

Neither company, Intel or DAAMIT, gives a rat's behind for us as individuals. It's all about mega/giga profits for them no matter who they hurt (including us).

So my loyalty is to my wallet and the maximum performance I can obtain at the knee of the performance vs cost curve.

I don't care which company loses money or makes money as long as I get good deals in the process.

It looks like Hector is also looking out for #1 as well and it isn't DAAMIT.

I agree with what people are saying about Intel's stagnation being a chance for AMD to revive itself. What I'm not so sure about is AMD being able to revive itself to levels like in the Athlon days. It has a huge debt pile that's not really getting smaller.

yes intel, start getting cocky so AMD can get back on their feet :)

Yup just as AMD did with thew A64, a continuing cycle.

i do ask, do we need more innovation right now? software for most (home users) hasnt caught up with the multiple cores yet....

i wonder how many people still have single core systems.. who dont even know about dual core yet, let alone quad core....

i know we should always progress, but perhaps this is also a time for intel to just research and say in 1-2 years come out with a complete brand new architecture or something..

Remember in The Matrix when Neo was kicking Agent Smith's @$$ with one arm behind his back?

Well AMD is Agent Smith in this fight. Intel has more money in R&D than AMD is worth.

Intel is slowly metering out the new technology just fast enough to keep a step ahead of AMD and put them down until they will never be a threat to them again. This way they can sell more processors before the next ones make it to market.

I liked it better when things were moving at a faster pace as both companies were neck and neck.

If intel raises their prices would that not curb some ppl to buy more AMD products ?

Intel has 45nm E7XXX procs to replace the E4XXX line for around 130$ and E3XXX to replace the E2XXX for 75$, both seem to be really good oc deal.
The former gives AMD's triplcecores a run for the money for half the power consuption and you can expect 3.5G-4G oc from those chips, with the latter K8 won't be able to keep up.

Intel has 45nm E7XXX procs to replace the E4XXX line for around 130$ and E3XXX to replace the E2XXX for 75$, both seem to be really good oc deal.
The former gives AMD's triplcecores a run for the money for half the power consuption and you can expect 3.5G-4G oc from those chips, with the latter K8 won't be able to keep up.

I was not meaning Intel will raise prices in the near future but if Intel raises the prices and Joe Sixpack wants a PC or processor there might be a better chance he will buy an AMD powered PC and I doubt he will know anything or care about CPU power consumption.
That is just my point of view.
Just last week or so Intel dropped prices on certain 65nm processors 30-50%.
It looks like Intel isn't done beating up on AMD just yet especially on prices/ performance wise.

Last edited:
Well, everyone at OCF must know by now how I detest Intel, so what I have to say is hardly front page news. It is true that Hector has poorly managed AMD and that they are in some deep doo doo, but AMD has always had good customer support and they treat their customers quite well. Intel, on the other hand, has track record that is horrible. Many of their ex-employees have banded together to expose their incredible lis of misdeeds. It truly boggles the imagination. Look folks, giant cartels are evil! They are now bigger and more powerful than any government on earth. They threaten the lives and liberties of everyone on the planet. It's that simple. Support Intel at your on peril. This is not about saving a few dollars, it is about far bigger issues than the speed of your computer.

Damn, I need a nightcap. Make it a double...no a triple! :beer: :beer: :beer:

R7

I'm still trying to figure out why people keep claiming Intel will refuse to innovate and raise prices ridiculously. They've had a huge lead over AMD for over a year and a half and they've slashed prices drastically and both cut die sizes and will be coming out with a new architecture soon. How is this anything but the exact opposite?

What you're describing there is the equivalent to when the announcer in a Mortal Combat game says, "Finish Him!"

Hopefully when Nehalem comes out AMD will get some market share back at least from the O/C community.
For those that don't know, Nehalem's Socket 1160 will be FSB locked as well as Multi-Locked making OCing a no-go. Only the high end Nehalem socket will be unlocked, which is the tri-channel memory socket; quite expensive.

Several thousand extra enthusiast's sales won't make much difference in the long run. Perhaps the + PR will boost the stock share values and encourage more investor interest.

That is one cool projection clock!

This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling -Spam link deleted and spammer banned- some people call
it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.

Last edited by a moderator:
2010 >< AMD will bring out a 12 core cpu :p and the fusion of a gpu and cpu "Falcon" with the "Bulldozer" core...and should support DDR3 well I hope it does.

Back