• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II hit 6ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they still rock and roll, just not quiet with the big boys yet ;), they are still doing small bar tours :D but i cant wait until they hit the main stage!

Thanks for the update. Looks like I got a big week ahead of me with all this updating and trying to OC.

I know this has been said but 1.9V? How long could CPUs survive at those voltages? 24/7 voltages that we know the CPUs can sustain are much more interesting. Anywho I think it's great that AMD is back in the hunt and competitive clock-for-clock and can oc decently as well, especially for the Phanboys ;) It's also nice to see AMDs inhouse former ATi chipsets doing well, I never liked NV chipsets much and chipset was always a weak point for AMD when compared to rock solid Intel chipsets.

I'm still sticking with my new build dual core e8400 for a long while but if this brings more price wars and in a year I can look at a cheap q9550 as one final single item upgrade then great :)

Last edited:
I know this has been said but 1.9V? How long could CPUs survive at those voltages? 24/7 voltages that we know the CPUs can sustain are much more interesting. Anywho I think it's great that AMD is back in the hunt and competitive clock-for-clock and can oc decently as well, especially for the Phanboys ;) It's also nice to see AMDs inhouse former ATi chipsets doing well, I never liked NV chipsets much and chipset was always a weak point for AMD when compared to rock solid Intel chipsets.

I'm still sticking with my new build dual core e8400 for a long while but if this brings more price wars and in a year I can look at a cheap q9550 as one final single item upgrade then great :)

Well I am sure that the CPU would last longer at 1.9v than whatever coolant they were using :)

Yah I am glad that AMD is back in the hunt as well. No, these are not i7 CPUs, but they are not i7 prices either, so it works out.

And I got into overclockingto buy cheap stuff and run it like the high end :) So this works for me :)

In the next month I will have converted all PCs back to AMD except for the living room desktop (old p4)

HTPC is already back on a dual core am2, my gaming PC will be last, but will be a PII and I made purchase on a miniITX, video encoding/file serving quad core phenom rig :)

Are the phenom IIs as good on power as the AM2 dual cores? I read that the 65W 4200 runs 44W at load and 8.8W at idle....
If it twice that for 4 cores, that would be really nice.

EDIT: nm just found this 89W idle for a complete system (IGP) 100W increase for full load.

Pretty good, but not what I was hoping for :(

Last edited:
EDIT: nm just found this 89W idle for a complete system (IGP) 100W increase for full load.

Pretty good, but not what I was hoping for :(
Even old Agena+700 series IGP systems were idling and render loading sub 100W.

Just check transparent testing like shown here:
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/gigabyte-ma790gp-ds4h-790gx-p3.html
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/foxconn-a7va-780v-p3.html

940BE is around 65-90W power as far as all the data shows (under max load). New gen chip power varies just like it does with Intel chips. Some are lower power, some higher but thats the overall range. At 1.35v.

since when are mhz the be-all and end-all stats?

My 478 presscot ran at 4ghz, doesnt mean it was anywhere close to my Q6700s performance (at 3.8).

Run a few benchies on two machines, id be surprised if the PII didn't get slapped in just about everything. (Synthetics, games, office apps, etc.)

Please do not start flame wars. Especially in my threads.

Wow, this thread has not been posted on since January until the attempted flame baiting. Tell ya what though, I have 3 AMD chips and 2 Intel chips all within a 1-2 year range in technology. These 955 BE hold up nicely in price v. performance when comparing them to many chips.

I know in games my 955 BE is doubling my FPS in some cases sitting in high population cities of my favorite MMO :) It may not get the top scores or the top synthetic benchies, but I am very happy with it and it didn't break the bank for me to get a nice performing chip.

Please do not start flame wars.

not the point of my post at all. What I'm saying is, the cost vs. performance statistic is very misleading. Just because one chip can squeeze out a higher frequency, does not mean it has a better architecture. I didn't come here to start and AMD vs. intel war. If you didn't like my last comparison, I can make another one.

many Athlon 64 X2's could run at say, 3ghz. That certainly doesn't mean that a PII running at say 2.8ghz is slower by any stretch of the imagination.

Mhz vs. Cost is a good start, but exactly how much of a difference does each mhz make? (in this case btwn the PII and the i7), i feel that has to be addressed.

Especially in my threads

The OCF rules/terms are the same and apply to all posts/threads in the forums. Your threads are not special, nor do they have elevated consequences for misuse of rules/terms.

Wow, this thread has not been posted on since January until the attempted flame baiting. Tell ya what though, I have 3 AMD chips and 2 Intel chips all within a 1-2 year range in technology. These 955 BE hold up nicely in price v. performance when comparing them to many chips.

I know in games my 955 BE is doubling my FPS in some cases sitting in high population cities of my favorite MMO It may not get the top scores or the top synthetic benchies, but I am very happy with it and it didn't break the bank for me to get a nice performing chip.

That's great, I too have both AMD and intel chips in my current set-ups. And I'm not hear to say which is better, cost is the main factor when I choose a chip. The reason I posted here so "late" is because I followed the link from Dolk's sig, when he posted in another thread.

Last edited:
We will agree to disagree then. I love both intel and AMD chips. It will benefit us all if AMD can get their act together and keep this new found momentum going forward. Right now though, I really am enjoying my 955 BE as an ethusiasist, especially with all the bench runs. Pushing 7ghz for some on the LHe is pretty cool.

Really though, imo the best intel has for cost/performance is the 920. All the other offerings are so overpriced and not worth it. With AMD you have several chips to choose from at a good price/performance ratio.

We will agree to disagree then. I love both intel and AMD chips. It will benefit us all if AMD can get their act together and keep this new found momentum going forward. Right now though, I really am enjoying my 955 BE as an ethusiasist, especially with all the bench runs. Pushing 7ghz for some on the LHe is pretty cool.

Really though, imo the best intel has for cost/performance is the 920. All the other offerings are so overpriced and not worth it. With AMD you have several chips to choose from at a good price/performance ratio.

oh no argument here, I only posted here to make a point about cost:mhz that is all. Whichever chip anyone uses is his/her choice, based on his/her needs. And yes, from intel I would only buy the 920 right now if I went i7. 920 if I went PII too!

All the other offerings are so overpriced and not worth it. With AMD you have several chips to choose from at a good price/performance ratio.

Phenom isnt really competing with I series though..Remeber the I7 was released as a high end processor, i5 will cover everything else.

Since i7 series (all 2 processors) is better then Phenom II in performance, Phenom 2 is more inline with the Core 2 Series (performance wise), so now you have plenty from intel to compete in that price range from the e5,e7,e8 cores to the Q8,Q9 processors.

It's not like you can keep it at 6ghz all day anyway, that's a bragging rights number, not something for performance.

I find it very impressive, just like P4 630's doing 8.2-8.2ghz. No practical value at all, but over eight billion ticks per second!

AMD is playing catchup no doubt. However, when the new i5's come out then AMD has their competition in the works as well. This is much different then the last few years and should benefit us all if things tighten up a bit on Intel. When I went shopping for a new gaming rig to upgrade my old athlon 3800+ a while back, I remember looking to buy an AMD, but there just was no alternative then to buy the 8400 I had for over a year. Now at least we have more choices coming from AMD.

Well... What is the update?

More data added to the graphs and charts on the first page.

since when are mhz the be-all and end-all stats?

My 478 presscot ran at 4ghz, doesnt mean it was anywhere close to my Q6700s performance (at 3.8).

The name of this site is Overclockers.com.. that is outright the most ridiculous thing you could ask being a member of this site lol.. Aren't we all here to push our CPUs to their limits and beyond?

Run a few benchies on two machines, id be surprised if the PII didn't get slapped in just about everything. (Synthetics, games, office apps, etc.)

Actually in performance the PII is near equal to something like the Intel Q9550s..Everyone knows the Phenom II was NOT made to compete with the i7.. But I believe it does a damn good job keeping up! Why would you start bashing the PII all of a sudden when it's been out for several months and proven itself time and time again? You have no right saying that in this thread.

can't wait for the phenom II 965, hoping to see 7ghz :D and with all these people tryin to bash a cpu that was meant to compete with the qxxx series and not the i7's...

I doubt Amd retail chips will see 7ghz until they release a new stepping or revision. Simply raising the multipler won't do much in my book. The week may make a difference though.

Back