• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting pagefile bsod's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

\dev\goat

man /dev/goat
I have 8gb of ram and I had a 512mb pagefile on a ssd.

Was playing gran turismo 3 on a playstation 2 emulator earlier, ran through the options and maxed everything out in the graphics section.

Messed around in the menus and stuff, just fine, 60fps, started a race, just fine, 60fps, then windows pops up an error message. Your system has run out of memory, please save your data and close this program (ps2 emulator).

Before I had time to click the "cancel" button and close the emulator, my screen turned black and computer was completely unresponsive. Hit the reset button and bsod as soon as it rebooted. Tried another reset, bsod again before login screen appears. Booted into safe mode, deleted the 512mb pagefile, set a 4096mb pagefile on a different ssd, and it booted up perfect.

Never ever had a pagefile/run out of memory related bsod before, and definately never had one that would put me in an endless bsod/reboot loop. I didn't even know this was possible. Especially not with a ps2 emulator.

I stopped keeping pagefile when bought 16gb ram. If I'll get bsod, I'll store pagefile to hdd so I could save bsod message.
I agree too that emulator is leaky - try to monitor RAM usage.

Back