• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a peltier water chiller a dead idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The probes are similar to the idea I mentioned above. The only difference being the use of a submerged heatsink instead of a probe. 15c seems a bit off for such a low watt TEC. If the system were at stock everything that might be possible. Building your own looks a bit cheaper.

Low power TEC
2 heat sinks
1 decent 80mm fan
A reservoir tapped into your water if you don’t already use one
RTV sealant
4 hex head screws

The low power TEC uses the heat sink / fan to keep the hot side cool. The second heat sink will reside inside the reservoir, directly fastened to the cold side of the TEC using 4 hex screws. Use RTV sealant for everything that needs protection from water. This is not something I thought up entirely on my own. I forget who it was but someone here at OC did something very similar with respectable results. If I remember correctly it dropped water temps 5-7c! That’s a nice improvement for not much work. You don’t even have to worry about condensation until you get a lot more TEC power.

I was thinking about doing this too. I was going to sandwich a pelt between two heatsinks, cut a hole in my res to fit the heatsink and submerge the cold side heatsink in the curclating water.
Of course the hot side would have a fan blowing on it. I pictured the finished product to look like a res with a Heatsink and fan attached to it. I'm not looking for below ambiant temps but am looking for a way to use a small radiator with one low cfm fan or eliminate the radiator all together.

I think that JimS had a copper res in which he had a hs protruding into the water (within the res). I don't remember what size pelt he was using but It worked, he eventually build something else and sold it.
I am currently running 220+ watts of pelt cooling in a chiller and find that while it can contain the heat from my OC'd xp2600(@2600mhz) it was having a problem when I was running my xp2400@ 2450mhz. I don't remember the calculated power the cpu was using but it was high enough to basically show me the upper cooling range of my 220 watt chiller.
wj

well the iceprobe just came in the mail a few minutes ago...

i just took a pic and plugged it in. looks great to me... i plugged it in and after 3 minutes the probe part HURT when you touched it (yea that's how cold it was)

as a first impression: i believe that this isnt an ordinary TEC... ive played with a 120 watt TEC before and it didnt get anywhere near as cold as this thing did. i think it will be great for watercooling.

i will build some sort of reservoir soon and see what kind CPU temp difference this thing makes. i will be keeping the radiator. running maze3 and NB block right now.

heres a pic:
nico3k-iceprobe.jpg

if the temps are great i will start a new thread... if not i will post back here.

-nico3k

dreammmatt said:
wait...did it honestly say 32*C with a peltier chiller....my SLK-800 does around that (alebiet idle) - - and i was planning on doing a peltier chiller...heh...guess i'm not...

This is true, but he air-cooled the hot side. he should water cool the hot side as well. here a guy is selling chiller blocks that use pelts to chill. the pelts are sandwiched in between the hot and cold plates. neat idea though mounting it may be tough. condensation would also be dealt with.

Nico3k said:
well the iceprobe just came in the mail a few minutes ago...

i just took a pic and plugged it in. looks great to me... i plugged it in and after 3 minutes the probe part HURT when you touched it (yea that's how cold it was)

as a first impression: i believe that this isnt an ordinary TEC... ive played with a 120 watt TEC before and it didnt get anywhere near as cold as this thing did. i think it will be great for watercooling.

i will build some sort of reservoir soon and see what kind CPU temp difference this thing makes. i will be keeping the radiator. running maze3 and NB block right now.

heres a pic:
nico3k-iceprobe.jpg

if the temps are great i will start a new thread... if not i will post back here.

-nico3k

Yeah!! You bought one eehhh? How much did it cost? I have been wanting one of these babys for awhile.

hehe i posted right when i ordered it... scroll up.. :D

Item Name SubTotal
1 Ice Probe with Power Supply 104.95
Subtotal: 104.95
Shipping: 10.00
Tax: 7.61
Total: 122.56

they were actually VERY QUICK.. i ordered from marinedepot.com with regular UPS ground shipping... and it came THE NEXT DAY lol

Back on the front of peltier water chilling, I just laid my grubby little hands upon two 130 watt pelts off ebay. I currently plan to build a custom billet aluminum reservoir to cool with them. This is gonna kick ***! ... I hope. Wish me luck guys, I'll post in with update when I start building.

Exoce†

Exoce† said:
Back on the front of peltier water chilling, I just laid my grubby little hands upon two 130 watt pelts off ebay. I currently plan to build a custom billet aluminum reservoir to cool with them. This is gonna kick ***! ... I hope. Wish me luck guys, I'll post in with update when I start building.

Exoce†

Welcome to the forums Exoce†

I’m really interested in seeing how well your setup works. Sounds like an awesome project.

yea welcome to the forums. good luck to you!

i got a good containter that i can use which fits my iceprobe nicely... i just need to pick up some 1/2 fittings and then plug it in.

Nico3k said:
yea welcome to the forums. good luck to you!

i got a good containter that i can use which fits my iceprobe nicely... i just need to pick up some 1/2 fittings and then plug it in.

Cool let us know how it goes.

picking up 1/2" fittings from ACE Hardware tomarrow at 3PM. when i get home I will cut holes on my res, put in the fittings, apply some epoxy, and probably let it sit overnight.

iceprobechiller.jpg

Nico3k said:
picking up 1/2" fittings from ACE Hardware tomarrow at 3PM. when i get home I will cut holes on my res, put in the fittings, apply some epoxy, and probably let it sit overnight.

iceprobechiller.jpg

You might want to make that res smaller so or maybe sit sideways with the water coming in over the cooler thingy and the out on the other side and the bottom.

yea well i have no choice but to find a new res becasue
I MESSED UP TWICE. first time the knife slipped and made a huge slice in the side.... second time i made the hole wayyy to big on accident.

i am on the lookout for a new res... i suck at "homemade" :(
i did get thouse fittings, teflon tape, and epoxy though...

sorry ive been trying to make a res for the 5th time now... i am just too retarded or something. it always leaks because i drill the holes for the fittings too big.

my next attempt will be trying to position the pump in a way so it will "suck" out the water instead of water getting fed to it.

anyone have an idea to make things easyer? i cant think of any way to run the iceprobe inline...

this is what im talking about... always happens every time i make the res... one fitting gets a crack in it and leaks.

anyone got an easy way around this or any tips/tricks?
rescrack.jpg

Back