• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a Raidmax PSU good for casual OCing and gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
GET A FORTRON!!! RaidMax PSUs aren't even suitable for running anything beyond a PIII, and even then I'd reccomend a 250 watt Fortron instead. If you're looking at a specific RaidMax, just get a similarly priced Fortron or Sparkle (Sparkle's are just rebranded Fortrons), otherwise here are the high-points in the Fortron line:

FSP350-60BN -- 80mm fan (thermally controlled) 350 watt unit tested to provide 454 watts. I own one of these and it powers my system just fine (though when I had my CPU at 1.8 volts, 2442 MHz (222x11) and my video card OC'ed it made buzzing noises which indicated it was near overload) and if I have my fans adjusted right it never goes into high fan speed which means it very quiet. I don't think these are made any longer, however www.directron.com still has some in stock (that's where I got mine).

FSP350-60BT -- Like the above one except the fan in permenately stuck in high speed which makes it very loud (I like my computer silent, so "very loud" is subjective here).

FSP350-60PN -- 120mm thermally controlled fan 350 watt version tested to produce 412 watts (I think). It's suppost to be pretty quiet. It's internals aren't as good as the 80mm versions but it's still better than most of the junk out there.

FSP400-60GN -- Good model inbetween the FSP350's and the FSP530 (see below). IMHO I'd spend the extra $10 for the FSP530 but if you're tight on cash then this is a good one to get.

FSP530 -- Any of the FSP530 models are a good choice. These are some of the best PSUs on the market today. You can't go wrong with one. (IMHO the only better one is the PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe.)

GET A FORTRON!!! RaidMax PSUs aren't even suitable for running anything beyond a PIII, and even then I'd reccomend a 250 watt Fortron instead. If you're looking at a specific RaidMax, just get a similarly priced Fortron or Sparkle (Sparkle's are just rebranded Fortrons), otherwise here are the high-points in the Fortron line:

I am running a raidmax in my main rig right now. It is a lot better than a pIII.

Raidmax aren't terribly bad power supplies they just don't stand up to what we expect of most of ours. For a casual system one will do fine just don't expect it to support any heavy overclocking in the future. Do consider a Fortron/Sparkle though, they are cheaper than most power supplies and can support major voltage draws. The voltage adjustments make it a very powerful psu and one that can support it well.

Back