• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is anybody using the onboard LAN on Abit IC7-G Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
veryhumid said:
what do you mean by capped it?

Have you checked if you can reach Giga speeds, so they haven't turned down the maximum speed just to fix the problem (If the problem was related to overloading the CSA)

ah no i have not, I am not sure how i would test it. could I use a crossover cable connected to another giga card on another computer? (which i don't have ;))

bah problem still here, was about to paste a link to driver revision history from intel, so i click on my ocforums favorite link, and bam, memory dump. really pisses me off. We'll see if service pack 1 treats me better than 2...

This is honestly the biggest pain in the butt that i have ever encountered. happened to 3 different boards now ( 2 abit, 1 asus, and even when I switched to a pci slot card and disabled the onboard lan I had the same problem) I think there must be an internet explorer related problem for me.

*crosses fingers for sp1*

Last edited:
OK..are you sitting down for this??Depending on how close your problem is to the one i described earlier,i found out what my problem was.Strange enuff i woke up with this idea..I noticed i was having a problem with a drive maintaining UDMA5 and kept getting knocked back to pio mode.While not unusual for this to happen i would remove it in properties and reboot and once again UDMA5.But...it wouldnt take long and pio mode again.As i described before i would get the hanging problem when..
1) After being afk for a couple hours
2)During shutdown
3)Moving or copying fairly large files
Taking this into consideration i initially thought my problem was of the power scheme variety since these would be the times when power would change to devices,either to conserve power during down time or during shutdown.Now go back to problem with the drive.Being discusted with the drive and pio mode slowing everything down i remove it from the MB completely.WELL..whatdayaknow..problem solved with the hang-up and everything.I have as my os and main drive a 200 wd sata drive,the secondary drive and the one that was giving me pio mode problems is a pata drive that i was using the Serillel pata to sata adapter.So it is now obvious to me that even though it has an additional power adapter for this device it still doesnt cope with the power variations caused by shut down,spin up or down and power down devices to conserve energy during long absences.
Maybe if anyone that is experiencing the same type of hang up as i was are using the adapter also.Check it out. ;)

Same problem

OK, I've been trying for a week to figure out why my IC7-G keeps freezing or doing the "memory dump" and then I found your thread. I changed out every thing i.e. video card, memory, cpu, hard drive etc. but to no avail! I'm using a WD 36 gig Raptor and now the on board SATA chip does not find it! I'm now running it on the on board raid chip and its working fine....for now. The strange thing is, I have not loaded the SP1 or SP2 for Windows XP Pro and the computer has been running trouble free for 9 hours now. Before I was lucky if it stays up and running for 10 mins! So....could it be a SP2 thing? I'm just about ready to give up on Abit boards, I'v been using them exclusively for about 8 years now and the last 4 boards I put in my machine have had some kind of problem and its getting old! Can you hear us Abit?? I'll keep watching here to see what happens.

JF

So much for good news! Turned on the computer this morning and 5 mins later it froze. Tried to reset 4 times, no go. Had to turn it completely off and then back on. And again, 10 mins later it freezes. I give up. Time for something other than Abit!?! But what? Any suggestions? I don't use RAID anymore but do need SATA and want something that is OC'ing friendly.

JF

justfig said:
So much for good news! Turned on the computer this morning and 5 mins later it froze. Tried to reset 4 times, no go. Had to turn it completely off and then back on. And again, 10 mins later it freezes. I give up. Time for something other than Abit!?! But what? Any suggestions? I don't use RAID anymore but do need SATA and want something that is OC'ing friendly.

JF

yeah i feel your pain, man. I also had stuck with abit for a while. I have the same net adapter on my current asus board and i had the same issue as with the abits. However i am running sp1 right now, crossing my fingers. nothing bad has happened yet but i haven't used the net too much. if it happens again I am going to call abit then call asus, see if they have anything to say.

Mike, I think this post was primarily directed at the random lock ups believed to be caused by using the onboard controller.Mine ultimatly was the pata to sata controller and not the nic after all.Your post appears to be directed at the difference in transfer speeds of the abit/asus boards.I did see where you were using pata to sata adapters on one of the boards.Was it the slower of the 2 during the 10 gb transfer tests?

Read my entire post. If the ASUS is that much faster than the ABIT, then ABIT does have some type of problem. It may or may not be a terminal problem but, a problem none the less.

Based on the drive index scores, the ABIT RAID array with adapters was much faster than the single ABIT Raptor. Yet, the file transfer from the ASUS to the Raptor on the ABIT was MUCH faster than the same transfer to the ABIT ICH5R RAID.

The reason I suspect this all may be related is that most of these posts involved the native Intel CSA on the NB. And, my results from the tests improved when I went from OCed back to stock. Past testing by more than 1 IC7 MAX3 owner has shown that the ICH5R RAID performance drops off when OCing. So, there is some correlation there, I just don't know what it is.

The hardest part of this is making sure we can compare apples v apples. No 2 setups are alike. And, some people are comparing PCI NICs and 10/100 gear. I never detected my "problem" until I went to a 100% gigabit LAN. This is significant as I still think the problem is related to the NB. And I noted in the other thread, my system worked fine with no noticeable differences at 10/100.

Mike.

Last edited:
OK I read it.
If you haven't gotten the hint by now, we'll spell it out for you: there is no place, and no need for a RAID-0 array on a desktop computer. The real world performance increases are negligible at best and the reduction in reliability, thanks to a halving of the mean time between failure, makes RAID-0 far from worth it on the desktop.

Our systems don't fall within the category this guy is talking about. We do digital video production. I use RAID-0 stripes to make HUGE fast arrays with sufficient thruput. Most of the software and hardware we use specifies SCSI drives. I avoid that cost by using SATA RAID-0. Read below from the same article.

There are some exceptions, especially if you are running a particular application that itself benefits considerably from a striped array, and obviously, our comments do not apply to server-class IO of any sort. But for the vast majority of desktop users and gamers alike, save your money and stay away from RAID-0.

Not to be a smarta55 but, what does that article have to do with this thread? Did I miss sumpin?

Mike.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to be a "smarta55" either. Its just that after losing a hard drive in a non-striped Raid array (and all my stuff) I now realize that Raid is not for me. And your right, it has nothing to do with (your) post but my on-board SATA chip is no longing working (IC-7G) along with my Gigabyte LAN, which does have to do with this thread. I just thought you may be interested in the article. Please forgive the assumption.

JF

Last edited:
justfig said:
And your right, it has nothing to do with (your) post but my on-board SATA chip is no longing working (IC-7G) along with my Gigabyte LAN, which does have to do with this thread. I just thought you may be interested in the article. Please forgive the assumption.

JF

That is odd because the Intel RAID is controlled by the SB and the Intel is controlled by the NB.

INTEL LINK

However, you may be on to something with your system. Your problem does have some parallels to what I have seen. Perhaps my performance is actually a sign of a weak or failing chipset? Actually, it will OC to 270mhz+ so I can't really say "weak". However, my suspicion is that ABIT cut some corners in the other aspects of the chipset implementation to insure good OCing. Obviously, more people bought the MAX3 for OCing than those that bought it to have native gigabit LAN.

I think if enough people pool their info, we may finally find a common denominator here. Or, I may just have a bad MOBO.

Thanks for the info, Mike.

justfig said:
I just thought you may be interested in the article. Please forgive the assumption.

JF
And, I am new here also. I didn't come over here to be an a55 or step on people's toes. It is a good article, especially for people that are really weighing the options. I actually thought that it would be more beneficial in games etc.

:beer: Mike.

Maybe I should be a little more specific about my earlier post. I'm using the IC-7G and on this board SATA1 and 2 are controlled by the SB and neither one of them is working now. I've had to move my Raptor over to SATA3 (which still works). Also, my system locks and/or freezes 3 or 4 times when I first boot up and use my cable modem (which is connected to the Gigabyte LAN). After maybe 45 mins to an hour it will stop doing this, as if something is taking awhile to warmup? But as soon as I get on line to play golf with some friends (either direct or throught MSN Zone) it crashes, freezes, burps, farts and generally will not work! I justed got in a board that does not use the Gigabyte LAN and as soon as I have the time I am going to swap out the boards and leave everything as it is and see what happens. I let you guys know.

And welcome to the Forum Mike .

JF

yeah i bet you it will work. I have had the same issues with both my boards (asus and abit that has the intel CSA giga network adapter). wish i knew of another good 875p chipset board that isn't abit or asus but i haven't done my research. i guess i might check dfi.

Back