• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it a Contender?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting results...Would you be kind and try reading vcore with a dmm?
I heard those Asrock boards misreport vcore (lower than actual vcore)
All but the mighty z77 OC Formula did that from what I gather but not sure on the AMD side of things.

Your voltages are off. My fx-6300 is overclocking stable 4.65 - 4.8 ghz aircooled and VCore never goes over 1.4 with temp range good as well. I have this coupled with a minimal board (mATX), psu(430w..corsair), ram (Kingston 1333 oc'd at 1600) and an oc'd 7850 gpu. My aircooler is a beefy enermax though. Maybe you got off on the wrong foot and didn't calibrate your voltages after turning off turbo mode at the beginning?

Lol no blue screens, system lock ups, bios corruptions, restarts, failed startups etc. Sure the benchmark stress tests are okay - I like burnintest and aida64 extreme edition but I think real world ops are much more reliable and realistic in terms of system use with all components held as a constant factor while being incorporated with the variable clock ranges at an incrementally measured pace. I have been maxing out Skyrim, Blacklight Retribution, and Planetside 2 with great results. I like what another member of a different site once said on this subject - achieving true 100 percent stability is practically impossible - something that works perfectly fine one week can suddenly change for no reason when you're dealing with overclocks :)

Lol no blue screens, system lock ups, bios corruptions, restarts, failed startups etc. Sure the benchmark stress tests are okay - I like burnintest and aida64 extreme edition but I think real world ops are much more reliable and realistic in terms of system use with all components held as a constant factor while being incorporated with the variable clock ranges at an incrementally measured pace. I have been maxing out Skyrim, Blacklight Retribution, and Planetside 2 with great results. I like what another member of a different site once said on this subject - achieving true 100 percent stability is practically impossible - something that works perfectly fine one week can suddenly change for no reason when you're dealing with overclocks :)
I agree with this and what one considers stable for oneself is always different for another. Some of our members fold on their overclocked rigs 24/7 which usually requires more CPU V core in order for it to run stable then what I would use for the same clock speed. We recommend that one uses prime95 for 2 hours, as a general rule for stability. Is it 100% reliable no but it does give us a good indication of stability for most users. I have personally found that in order for me to make it through 2 hours of prime I will need more CPU v core and slight changes in other areas, then I do using Aida64 or I burnintest. Does this mean that my pc is any more stable then yours no, like you said if it's stable for what you do then it's stable. This is probably why there is a difference between your V core and the one Rgone is testing on, as well as the differences that come chip to chip.

Could be. He could also calibrate his voltages at the begining of his venture - as I previously mentioned..mainly due to the fact that a lot of overclockers miss that step b/c as we all know even a tenth of a measurement of voltage can change everything exponentially..

I have no further questions or concerns with the FX-6300 since it is gone back to its' actual owner. He has at least 3 or 4 of the FX-6300s and all of his exhibit the same Vcore characteristics across at least 4 different Motherboards including Asus CHV motherboards. He is not overly concerned and neither am I anymore. The fact your cpu does better for you boardr45, is great for you and glad for you. Although I will admit that no matter what someone posts over the years I have attended forums, there is always someone that seems to have a better setup and I have become used to that fact. It sort of reminds me of the scuffling thing. There is always someone out there that is bigger and badder it seems.
RGone...

Cinebench R 11.5 and 3D06 CPU Test Only...

I finally felt good enough to try and resize and edit all the captures I have for the FX-8350 on the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX PRO motherboard using ALL the very same speeds as when I tested my FX-8350 on my own CHV mobo.

As noted below in the Percentage of Increase chart is something that surprised me and has me puzzled for sure. I think the Image will be self-explanatory. Just odd and sooner or later, will have to return to my CHV for some form of explanation.
RGone...

Chart for Percentage Increase in CPU Test using Cinebench R11.5 with CPU speed increase by 100Mhz increments. Asrock Fatal1ty Mobo and my FX-8350 Processor

Chart FX8350 CPU.jpg

Chart for Percentage Increase in CPU Test using Cinebench R11.5 with CPU speed increase by 100Mhz increments. My Asus CHV Mobo and my FX-8350 Processor

Chart FX8350 CPU CHV.jpg

Spoiler for ALL Cinebench tests and ALL the captures of same. 4.2Ghz thru 5.4Ghz. Click Spoiler to view images.

And finally a Spoiler in which are all the captures of the results for the CPU Test Only in 3D06 which is still a good pointer to CPU performance even if the DX Version does not load the Graphics tests which were not run at all. 4.2Ghz thru 5.4Ghz
Click Spoiler to View Images.

Love it man! The graphs coming off these Vishera CPUs is so much more linear than anything I was able to record for Zambezi parts. I had my suspicions about the Fat1lity board for a long time before I mentioned to you that I wondered how it would perform. I almost want to grab one of these and a new CPU pot just to see how it does when you really beat it.

I'm really impressed with it, I honestly expected the vrm section to fall flat on it's face with the current draw of the 8 core.

The sucky part is if he sends it back i'm going to have to figure out exactly what to build around the thing and if you think my sigs way out of date now............

Last edited:
Mandrake must have that espn stuff going on, in a sideways fashion, Rgone and I were just discussing that very thing on the phone last night.

Too bad I sold my pot a few months ago or I could send it to ya for a while.

LOL espn, Little did you know, I have the two of your phone lines tapped so I can learn all of your overclocking secrets?

well, you won't learn much from my end but Rgone sure helps me a lot with the stuff i don't post.

ssjwizzard, I wish i could use a pot and dice but i like to run mine for hours and hours, that's why i was thinking about a chiller I could disguise from my little woman.
I work at a stand up desk so it's not at all easy to hide anything from her.

mandrake that is a good idea, with one minor issue, when i yelled upstairs to get her to fix me a drink she would just say that i had a special cooler for it down here......

Last edited:
Now I know what that clicking is that I hear in my phone all the time. Hehehe.

Ask C_D what it cost him the last time he went 'really' cold. Ram and video card fell out of the motherboard and the fans all rotor locked and burned up. But it weren't no doubt he and all his shett were really really cold. Hehehe.

C_D does his putering from a teaching podium. He holds classes every 5th Tuesday in the month. Hehehe.

His woman want let him keep his BEEG AZZ cooler in the house. Big crossflow aluminum radiator with a 1.5HP AC motor pulling a car fan. She says it keeps blowing the table cloth off the dinner table. Hehehe.
RGone...

my idea of excitement is everclear and high voltage, i might survive that.
tempting that little behorned, blood dripping fanged 105 pound she-devil is instant death!!!!!

Back