• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s_mack

Registered
Hi all. In all my years of computing, I've never actually had a "dead" mobo before... but I think I do now. Just wanted to run it by you guys before I spent any $$.

Basically I was pretty sure I left my PC running for some downloads to finish. At night I went down to turn it off, only to see it was already off. Ok, whatever, I guess I did shut it down (I thought). Next morning though... go to turn on, and nothing. No lights, no sounds, no fans... nothing.

My first thought was the PSU. But I did the "short green wire to ground" trick and it fired right up. I installed it in my friend's PC and it turned on no problem. So PSU is confirmed good.

My second thought was perhaps the case's switch, so I tried shorting the mobo's POWER_SW pins... nothing.

Am I right in then concluding the mobo is toast? Or could it possibly be the CPU or something else? I would think even without a CPU or ram I'd at least get something. The mobo has onboard LED diagnostics to get error codes in case of a non-post, but NOTHING comes on, including those LEDs. Zero power at all.

Any thoughts/tips?

Supposedly I have a warranty. I bought it 15 months ago and it has a 2 year. But at best that takes several days to fix and its tax time! I need this up and running ASAP.

Cheers.

- Steven

That does sound dead.
No LEDs with all the power cables plugged in and jumping the PWR_ON pins on the mobo pretty much means something has died the final death.

I figured :( Thanks. Sucks, but thanks.

I'm downgrading and upgrading at the same time. A much less expensive board... but newer chipset. I'm looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H. Should have everything I *need* (but missing quite a bit of "want")

Rough situation. The UD3H is a solid board though. Not long on epic features, but solid.

Back