• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my I9 7980XE a faulty one? can't turn on XMP with G.Skill 4133C19Q 32GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOne_Emperor

Registered
Hi all:

I encountered a very bad issue with my new built PC,

I was hoping to enjoy some gaming after I assemabled my PC but it refuse to POST after I entered BIOS and turn on XMP,

My PC is not able to POST with anything pass 3859Mhz (Dram Freq).

Please kindly help if you encounter similar issue or know what's wrong with my hardware.

Spec of my PC:
CPU - I9 7980XE
RAM - G.Skill F4-4133C19Q-32GTZRF (Quad channel, installed in A1 B1 C1 D1 as per the manual)
VGA - MSI 1080TI Gaming X
MB - ASUS Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS - 1102 X64 (newest BIOS at this moment)
Sound card - SB ZXR
HDD - 5 SSD plus 1 NVME SSD
PSU - Corsair AX1200i
OS - Windows 10 Professional

What I tried so far:

1) Input everything by hand, Multi Core Enhancement & Intel Turbo Boost is On, DRAM Freq set to 4133 with DRAM Volt set to 1.35, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

2) Input everything by hand, Turned off Multi Core Enhancement, only Intel Turbo Boost is On, DRAM Freq set to 4133 with DRAM Volt set to 1.35, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

3) Input everything by hand, Turned off Multi Core Enhancement, only Intel Turbo Boost is On, DRAM Freq set to 4133 with DRAM Volt set to 1.40 & VCCIO, VCCSA set to 1.25v, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

4) Use the Auto settings in BIOS, DRAM Freq set to 4133, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

5) Try using the XMP profile that comes with the kit, my PC refuse to POST with error code B0 (detect memory)

6) Using XMP profile, but lower the DRAM Freq. to 3589 Mhz, able to enter windows, but I experience slow down from time to time, I guess that not very stable... (the slow down is like, you have a steady 60FPS in the game, but suddenly it feels like 30FPS but you can clearly see the FPS didn't drop, and it backs to normal after a few mintues)

What other settings in the BIOS can I try? Could it be I got a faulty kit? or a faulty CPU? or the MB itself got issue?

I can't believe I just can't simply turn on XMP with such hardware that I have.

Thanks for helping.

Memory on the qvl list?

4133 memory? That is incredibly fast for the platform. You overbought. If i was you, id return the sticks for something mkre appropriate for the platform...maybe 3000-3400 or so. I have ddr4 3600 sticks working fine, but 4K is out of the question.

While you are at it, return that 1.2kw psu for 800-1000w model. You can run 2 1080ti and that cpu overclocked on a 800W+ psu. Now, you arent breaking 400w. :)

Memory on the qvl list?

4133 memory? That is incredibly fast for the platform. You overbought. If i was you, id return the sticks for something mkre appropriate for the platform...maybe 3000-3400 or so. I have ddr4 3600 sticks working fine, but 4K is out of the question.

While you are at it, return that 1.2kw psu for 800-1000w model. You can run 2 1080ti and that cpu overclocked on a 800W+ psu. Now, you arent breaking 400w. :)

The kit was not on the QVL list, but I never refer to that when I built my pervious PCs, not a single issue, guess I was just lucky back then to be able to run it at the advertised speed without any issue.

Since I don't think the shop will allow me to return the kit if the hardware itself is not a faulty one, therefore I want to make sure that none of these hardwares got problem.

Could you advice some tools for me that I can check if my MB, CPU and RAM are working as intended?

I only used the following tools to test my system so far:

1) Memtest, in order to test all avaliable memory I have to run 16 instances, 14 of them reached 270% coverage without any error, 2 of them reached 135% without any error, this test was ran with DRAM Freq 3856Mhz (1.4v). can I say the kit should be fine or any other tools that I can use to test it again?

2) Prime95 (first 2 tests were tested with XMP on but lower the DRAM Freq to 3856Mhz, DRAM Volt 1.4V), got a BSOD in my first run, 2nd run didn't result in BSOD but received error almost in half of the cores. (around 9 cores stop working after received the following error "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file
Torture Test completed 0 tests in 0 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings. Worker stopped." 3rd run was with XMP off, DRAM Freq set to auto, 2 cores encounter an error 15 mintues later. but I forgot to take a screenshot of the error message.

Thanks for your input

The kit was not on the QVL list, but I never refer to that when I built my pervious PCs, not a single issue, guess I was just lucky back then to be able to run it at the advertised speed without any issue.
When you are dealing with fringe high end kits like that, its a good idea to see if it is on the list. ;)

Since I don't think the shop will allow me to return the kit if the hardware itself is not a faulty one, therefore I want to make sure that none of these hardwares got problem.
The hardware isn't the issue, as in, there is nothing wrong with it. That platform just cannot support such speeds 24/7. Coffee Lake, sure. But not X299. Again such fast memory speeds are not remotely needed. Save a couple hundred and get something that will work with the platform. :)

Could you advice some tools for me that I can check if my MB, CPU and RAM are working as intended?
Does it work at stock? Then its working properly. :)

1. Kit is fine
2. Which test in P95? Small FFT? Blend? Large?

Again, test at stock. If it works, your hardware is fine as we said. ;)

When you are dealing with fringe high end kits like that, its a good idea to see if it is on the list. ;)

The hardware isn't the issue, as in, there is nothing wrong with it. That platform just cannot support such speeds 24/7. Coffee Lake, sure. But not X299. Again such fast memory speeds are not remotely needed. Save a couple hundred and get something that will work with the platform. :)

Does it work at stock? Then its working properly. :)

1. Kit is fine
2. Which test in P95? Small FFT? Blend? Large?

Again, test at stock. If it works, your hardware is fine as we said. ;)

Lesson learnt by paying more for the RAM kit this time, next time got to be careful on this...

The test I ran with PRIME95 was blend. (which is where the errors came from)

The reason why I am a little worry about I might having a faulty hardware is becaue I experience 3 things as list below.

1) When I run Memtest, sometimes my PC will freeze for a few seconds then it back to normal again

2) Same thing happened when I run the benchmark in CPU-Z, when it start to test the "CPU Single Thread" my PC freeze for a few seconds then it back to normal again

3) Sometimes when playing a game, even I got soild 60FPS, the screen movement feels like as if I am under 30FPS, it is not smooth like what you feel with 60fps, it stays for around 1 mintue then things back to normal again

On the other hand Real Bench gave me the following result

Image Editing
Time:105.164

Encoding
Time:19.3458

OpenCL
KSamples/sec: 20859

Heavy Multitasking
Time:38.0351

System Score

Image Editing
Time:105.164

Encoding
Time:19.3458

OpenCL
KSamples/sec: 20859

Heavy Multitasking
Time:38.0351

System Score

Is my CPU, MB or the RAM itself really a good one? why my PC frezzed for a few seconds when the stress test started? are there any other tools that I can further testing my system?

Thanks for your input again.

1) When I run Memtest, sometimes my PC will freeze for a few seconds then it back to normal again
Normal IIRC

Mine doesn't freeze at all for the single test. The number doesn't change nearly as quickly but I still have mouse movement etc. I'd imagine this is still memory instability. Again, test at stock, if it works at stock, it works. :)

3) Sometimes when playing a game, even I got soild 60FPS, the screen movement feels like as if I am under 30FPS, it is not smooth like what you feel with 60fps, it stays for around 1 mintue then things back to normal again
This could be ANYTHING... I would guess instability.. .could be temps... try it at stock and see if it still happens.

The Motherboard is the most expensive out there... you could have bought one half the cost and got the same features and performance. CPU is 'the best' if you can use all those cores and threads. Gaming surely does not. If this is a gaming rig, you would have been much better served going Z370 and 8700K. The RAM, its fast, but again, RAM isn't bottleneck in the first place so ultra fast and ultra expensive ram is a waste of cash.

Next time, reach out to us before you build. Seems like we could have saved you well over $1500 and still got the same performance. That or return half the stuff. Even if you eat $200 in restocking fees, you'll still come out ahead.

If you can't return the memory unless it's faulty then just down clock it to lower level that is stable. Or sell it on ebay and buy DDR4 3200-3400.

If you choose to down clock it you might want to contact GSkill and ask for recommendations for appropriate timings at the lower speed - primary, secondary and tertiary timings.

Normal IIRC

Mine doesn't freeze at all for the single test. The number doesn't change nearly as quickly but I still have mouse movement etc. I'd imagine this is still memory instability. Again, test at stock, if it works at stock, it works. :)

This could be ANYTHING... I would guess instability.. .could be temps... try it at stock and see if it still happens.

The Motherboard is the most expensive out there... you could have bought one half the cost and got the same features and performance. CPU is 'the best' if you can use all those cores and threads. Gaming surely does not. If this is a gaming rig, you would have been much better served going Z370 and 8700K. The RAM, its fast, but again, RAM isn't bottleneck in the first place so ultra fast and ultra expensive ram is a waste of cash.

Next time, reach out to us before you build. Seems like we could have saved you well over $1500 and still got the same performance. That or return half the stuff. Even if you eat $200 in restocking fees, you'll still come out ahead.

Guess I better not try my luck next time and ask for opinions from you guys first,

I will test it with stock speed later as you said, so that means 2133Mhz for the ram right? (that's the default speed shown in BIOS)

Also what did you think about the BSOD & error the message I got from PRIME95? could it be related to the RAM again and do I need to test it again with stock speed? I hope nothing related to my CPU...

Thanks for your input.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't return the memory unless it's faulty then just down clock it to lower level that is stable. Or sell it on ebay and buy DDR4 3200-3400.

If you choose to down clock it you might want to contact GSkill and ask for recommendations for appropriate timings at the lower speed - primary, secondary and tertiary timings.

I will try to contact G.Skill about this later and see what their suggestion is once I confirmed all the HW I bought are fine, thanks for the input.

Also what did you think about the BSOD & error the message I got from PRIME95? could it be related to the RAM again and do I need to test it again with stock speed? I hope nothing related to my CPU...
P95 issue like releated to Memory, yes. Run stock, I bet everything works fine. Load optimized defaults from the BIOS.

Nont entirely sure if GSkill will provide that information... a better bet, with a quicker return, is to check their lower spec'd kits and try that. ;)

I would still look to return it... call the plcae and ask... again, a simple restocking fee vs the cost of say 3200-3400 RAM will easily make up the cost and put $100 back in your pocket. ;)

That ram will run but setting high timings at a lower speed like that can cause stability issues as well. First resetting the BIOS with F5 then reboot to BIOS set the main timings for the ram to 16-18-18-38 leave the rest at auto. Set the DRAM voltage to 1.4V reboot and then test

On this chipset you can run your memory at 3600 15-15-15/16-16-16 1.35V stable without any issues. Higher depends on many factors but there is a chance to stablize it at 3733-4000. 4133 is not impossible but really hard to even boot. I was able to stabilize only 2 kits at ~4000 on X299 while max boot was ~4133-4200 ... far from stable. Recommended max for X299 is still ~3600.

One thing you can try is testing the memory one stick at a time with XMP or setting the Speed timings yourself to see if you have memory sticks that can reach advertised Speed and some can not or they just can't with the with I9 7980XE.

Last edited:
He may be able to reach it using dual/single channel... but, he has four sticks on a quad channel platform that won't run memory that fast. There really isn't anything wrong hardware wise.

My point is maybe some could reach the memory tested speed and maybe one cannot reach the tested speed. Yes I know it is fast memory for the platform, I would not hurt anything to try it.:)

But it's not the sticks that's the problem. It's the platform and quad channel that's restricting speed. Even on my MSI board it's the same dual is faster but quad I can only manage about 3800 and that's just for benching

But it's not the sticks that's the problem. It's the platform and quad channel that's restricting speed. Even on my MSI board it's the same dual is faster but quad I can only manage about 3800 and that's just for benching

I already said that in post #14

I already said that in post #14

Still testing them one at a time to see if they can reach their rated speed is a total waste of time, so if you're saying the sticks aren't the problem then why , why, whyyyy

Still testing them one at a time to see if they can reach their rated speed is a total waste of time, so if you're saying the sticks aren't the problem then why , why, whyyyy

His motherboard is rated SS DDR4 64GB at 4200 speed. If it where me I would like to find out if I have one memory stick that can't reach rated speed causing no boot for the rest of the memory at the rated speed.

Testing the sticks will prove what is already 99% true, the sticks are good. I suppose he can do it. It wouldn't take anything but time. I'd rather be on teh horn with my store for a refund. ;)

I have helped find sticks that did not reach tested speed in threads you have been in, one guy if you can remember purchased 3 sets of the same G.SKILL before XMP worked on all 4 . Testing factory overclocked memory is a lost art, folks now just settle for lower speed or loos timings with factory overclocked memory. The OPs motherboard is rated SS DDR4 64GB at 4200 speed, If it was me I would check the new memory.

Back