• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my I9 7980XE a faulty one? can't turn on XMP with G.Skill 4133C19Q 32GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have helped find sticks that did not reach tested speed in threads you have been in, one guy if you can remember purchased 3 sets of the same G.SKILL before XMP worked on all 4 . Testing factory overclocked memory is a lost art, folks now just settle for lower speed or loos timings with factory overclocked memory. The OPs motherboard is rated SS DDR4 64GB at 4200 speed, If it was me I would check the new memory.

This is for KabyLake-X , not Skylake-X. Even if 4000+ is on the list then believe me, nearly all manufacturers were lying in their QVL lists giving the same max frequency for all their motherboards regardless of used CPU or memory setup. ASUS made exactly the same list for every single X299 motherboard. In real barely anyone tested it with memory at more than 3600. They even made OC guide where they said that max they can guarantee on X299 is 3600 ( maybe there is something new but I doubt ).
Next thing is that everything above 2133 is marked as OC so not guaranteed.
However there are all ... 2! memory kits on the G.Skill website ( not counting different colour ) tested at 4000+ on ASUS Rampage VI. Still to make it run like that there have to be perfect timings.

Check OC rankings and you will see that top scores on X299 are near 4133... as max that will boot or pass quick tests, not stable. If it could run much higher then people would do that.

There is a chance that OP memory will make 4000-4133 on this motherboard but it will require manual settings. This will require some knowledge and a lot of time spent on tests while final effect won't be much better than what this memory offers at ~3600 and tighter timings.

This is for KabyLake-X , not Skylake-X. Even if 4000+ is on the list then believe me, nearly all manufacturers were lying in their QVL lists giving the same max frequency for all their motherboards regardless of used CPU or memory setup. ASUS made exactly the same list for every single X299 motherboard. In real barely anyone tested it with memory at more than 3600. They even made OC guide where they said that max they can guarantee on X299 is 3600 ( maybe there is something new but I doubt ).
However there are all ... 2! memory kits on the G.Skill website ( not counting different colour ) tested at 4000+ on ASUS Rampage VI. Still to make it run like that there have to be perfect timings.

Check OC rankings and you will see that top scores on X299 are near 4133... as max that will boot or pass quick tests, not stable. If it could run much higher then people would do that.

There is a chance that OP memory will make 4000-4133 on this motherboard but it will require manual settings. This will require some knowledge and a lot of time spent on tests while final effect won't be much better than what this memory offers at ~3600 and tighter timings.
+1

This particular mobo doesn't split it up like that KL-X v SL-X. The KL is usually higher as you mentioned - it is dual channel. That said, just because the memory has the multiplier for it listed, doesn't mean it is guaranteed to work. There are other variables involved. The IMC being able to get there is obviously a big factor in that. These just aren't made for 4000+...

Well that sucks that all manufactures are lying with the X299.:mad:
I don't think so, no.

Last edited:

Well that sucks that all manufactures are lying with the X299.:mad:

I don't know if they have any 4200 sticks on the QVL. I do know the board 'supports' it meaning, it has the memory multiplier for it.

One or two memory sticks at a time MAY work. They may ALL work in total, but just not together at the same time/quad channel. They may all NOT work individually or dual, depends on the quality of the IMC. However, just because the IMC can reach the speed with 1/2 sticks does not mean it will reach it with 4. Not in the least. You need a top notch IMC and board to get quad channel 4K+ out of the X299 platform.

In the end, what we are saying is, why bother wasting the time to test to see if they all work when we know already they do not work together? The chance of a bad stick are not high, what a couple % at most? Its exponentially more likely the IMC just can't handle it. It does NOT mean any part is failed.

Last edited:
There is one 4200 G.Skill kit on the QVL list which is also on G.Skill QVL list ( actually 2 kits but just different heatsinks so also different PN ).

I would or ask G.Skill if this kit can work and ask them for settings or just return it and get something lower/cheaper if price difference is really worth it ... but really you probably know I would just waste a lot of time to set it manually :sly:

I don't know if they have any 4200 sticks on the QVL. I do know the board 'supports' it meaning, it has the memory multiplier for it.

One or two memory sticks at a time MAY work. They may ALL work in total, but just not together at the same time/quad channel. They may all NOT work individually or dual, depends on the quality of the IMC. However, just because the IMC can reach the speed with 1/2 sticks does not mean it will reach it with 4. Not in the least. You need a top notch IMC and board to get quad channel 4K+ out of the X299 platform.

In the end, what we are saying is, why bother wasting the time to test to see if they all work when we know already they do not work together? The chance of a bad stick are not high, what a couple % at most? Its exponentially more likely the IMC just can't handle it. It does NOT mean any part is failed.

OPs Motherboard is rated for 8 SS DDR4 64GB at 4200 speed QVL LINK: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...73.1869447292.1519933226-897866199.1513720243

Earhth dog I know what memory overclocking entails, your just repeating what I already said about the processor many times on many threads. One thread we engaged in you said "So long as you are not overbuying memory for the platform, reaching xmp speeds/timings should rarely be an issue." http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...t-Coffeelake?p=8054752&viewfull=1#post8054752

Like I said it would not hurt anything to test the memory sticks individually to see if they will all reach rated speed.

Last edited:
And what is the first thing i said here???? HE OVERBOUGHT FOR THE PLATFORM!

Once you hit the extreme end of the memory it becomes sketchy if it will work as more variables come into play. Clearly the context there is not the same as here. That is base memory, and jedec. Here we are talking the highest end. And in this case, its overbuying for the platform...literally in my first post here. :)

Edit to your edit: it wouldnt hurt anything but time, right. It would be a neat fact to have in your pocket when all 4 dont work. Thats up to the op if he wants to take the time to check...i wouldnt. If the sticks are bunk, which is what, 1 in 98 chance, then it would be worth it. Me......id be on the horn with whoever i bought drom amd see what they can do. :)

Last edited:
And what is the first thing i said here???? HE OVERBOUGHT FOR THE PLATFORM!

Once you hit the extreme end of the memory it becomes sketchy if it will work as more variables come into play. Clearly the context there is not the same as here. That is base memory, and jedec. Here we are talking the highest end. And in this case, its overbuying for the platform...literally in my first post here. :)

He did not over buy for his platform that is not what the QVL shows. You need to be more careful making blanket statements when I always talk about the difficulty's of using XMP and things to check.

Last edited:
Lol, no sir. This s overbuying.

In that thread we were talking jedec and 3600 mhz on coffee lake. If the context was discussing 4133 on x299, or 4000+ on CL, the conversation would have been different and included a mention of the IMC etc. But since coffee lake can run 3600 mhz in its sleep, i didnt feel i needed to mention that and assumed i didnt need to spell that out.

Again that thread 2666/jedec/3600 coffee lake...this thread x299/SL-X/4133. Apples, meet oranges.

Edit: that thread is literally talking ONE multiplier over base spec all cpus can handle!!!!! We know z270/z370 is good to well over 3600 on top of it. Here, its on the extreme end of it working period! You have a lot of nerve to chastise me for making 'blanket statements' when the context is COMPLETELY different!!!!!!

Last edited:
Wingman, im nit going down this hole with you any deeper. At this point, we arent helping the op.

I will say, again, its two different discussions. When you get that fast, the imc does come into play....you need an above average one to run 4k+ on this platform. In the case of the irrelevant other thread they will all do one bin above base memory spec. Also, when talking 3600 we are talking about the sticks being rated there. Really has little to no bearing here man...move on.

I will say it again. So the QVL for the OP is a lie like woomack said. You keep saying he overbought for the platform. If the platform can handle 8 SS DDR4 64GB at 4200 speed memory I would test the memory sticks individually to see if they will all reach XMP speed.;)

Last edited:
When they test and put it on the QVL, its ONE CPU. One well above average CPU (IMC) to get that rating in this case. That doesn't mean a majority will make it there. KNow when they test these sticks, they know which CPU (IMCs) will handle it. There is always a warning too about support and a 'YMMV' message.

Let me ask you this....If they all reach XMP speeds, what does that mean really? What will that change? Its not like he can return the CPU.. it isn't broken. Its not like he can return the memory, it isn't broken. He also can't return the motherboard because it isn't broken either. So in the end, if all sticks work alone, that's cool and a neat nugget of information. But that doesn't change the end result for the OP, does it? DDR4 4K+ is not a reasonable 24/7 speed in the least. He overbought, regardless of what the mobo says it supports. Another important part, the CPU (IMC) on his sample, cannot. What am I missing here???

With you there. But, how often are sticks bad (addressed this earlier) really? In the end, it really comes down to how much time the OP wants to put into it. Personally, I would spend my time seeing if I can return the sticks regardless than to test them. Everyone is different. Its painfully obvious to me that its the IMC causing strife here. If we were talking DDR4 3600 or less on this platform, I would stand firmly behind you. But since its 4K+, I simply don't think its worth the time from what I know of the platform.

@Earth Dog: I am quite new to this so please don't mind if I ask you again, I checked the QVL for my MB, and I saw a ram kit, G.Skill 4200 64GB is on the list, yes I know it's 4200 and 64GB and it's different than the one I have, but since it support 4200 I believe it should also support the one that I have right? and where can I find the max memory speed for my CPU, I can't seems to find it on Intel's website. just want to make sure my MB is fine since I don't thing there are any tools that can test if the MB is fine or not. thanks

I will take the suggestions from all of you, before I get back to home and can test my system again, I want to give you guys some update.

Before I went to take a rest, I left my PC on with PRIME95 (Blend) running, this is with XMP on but set BCLK to 100 instead of 103.4 and lower DRAM Freq. to 3800 with the voltage set 1.4v, multicore enhancement was disabled, both VCCIO and VCCSA were set to AUTO. timing for the RAM were set to 19 21 21 41 2T as per G.Skill's spec.

After 4 hours of the PRIME95 stress test, this time I received no errors, (first 3 times I encounter different kind of errors and BSOD but that was on 3859Mhz, that means the BCLK was set to 103.4) when I back home I want to try it again but this time with Multicore enhancement ENABLED and see if it still stable because I believe I should be able to use that function right? I would like to see with the same settings will I receive any error after I enable Multicore enhancement.

About the memory, since I don't have any chance to return it if it is not faulty therefore I will spend sometime to test it one by one as Wingman suggested, if I found one of them failed to run with the avertised speed that I might be able to take you guys suggestion and exchange it to a cheaper option to get back some dosh. (any other tools besides Memtest I can use to test if there are any error in my RAM kit?)

Since the hardwares were expensive, I just want to make sure all of them are in good condition if I can't return any of them.

Thanks for all the inputs from you guys, really appreciate. :)

With you there. But, how often are sticks bad (addressed this earlier) really? In the end, it really comes down to how much time the OP wants to put into it. Personally, I would spend my time seeing if I can return the sticks regardless than to test them. Everyone is different. Its painfully obvious to me that its the IMC causing strife here. If we were talking DDR4 3600 or less on this platform, I would stand firmly behind you. But since its 4K+, I simply don't think its worth the time from what I know of the platform.

I see a memory stick not reach rated speed a lot when people will let me help them test. The memory I have now is a second set since the first set was XMP unstable. Since memory manufactures started overclocking memory I have had problems with a stick not reaching rated speeds and the a replacement solved the issues. Once I had two stick that did not reach rated speed in this Fourm and I did RMA twice to solve the problem.

Really how do you know how often a memory stick won't reach rated speeds? Really? every few times this situation comes up I suggest testing the sticks individual in this forum your on my case for reason not to do a simple XMP stick testing.

@Earth Dog: I am quite new to this so please don't mind if I ask you again, I checked the QVL for my MB, and I saw a ram kit, G.Skill 4200 64GB is on the list, yes I know it's 4200 and 64GB and it's different than the one I have, but since it support 4200 I believe it should also support the one that I have right? and where can I find the max memory speed for my CPU, I can't seems to find it on Intel's website. just want to make sure my MB is fine since I don't thing there are any tools that can test if the MB is fine or not. thanks

I will take the suggestions from all of you, before I get back to home and can test my system again, I want to give you guys some update.

Before I went to take a rest, I left my PC on with PRIME95 (Blend) running, this is with XMP on but set BCLK to 100 instead of 103.4 and lower DRAM Freq. to 3800 with the voltage set 1.4v, multicore enhancement was disabled, both VCCIO and VCCSA were set to AUTO. timing for the RAM were set to 19 21 21 41 2T as per G.Skill's spec.

After 4 hours of the PRIME95 stress test, this time I received no errors, (first 3 times I encounter different kind of errors and BSOD but that was on 3859Mhz, that means the BCLK was set to 103.4) when I back home I want to try it again but this time with Multicore enhancement ENABLED and see if it still stable because I believe I should be able to use that function right? I would like to see with the same settings will I receive any error after I enable Multicore enhancement.

About the memory, since I don't have any chance to return it if it is not faulty therefore I will spend sometime to test it one by one as Wingman suggested, if I found one of them failed to run with the avertised speed that I might be able to take you guys suggestion and exchange it to a cheaper option to get back some dosh. (any other tools besides Memtest I can use to test if there are any error in my RAM kit?)

Since the hardwares were expensive, I just want to make sure all of them are in good condition if I can't return any of them.

Thanks for all the inputs from you guys, really appreciate. :)

Like Woomack said you could just contact G.SKILL to see if your memory is compatible. In my opinion it should be 4, 32GB 4133 speed is eaiser on the IMC than the 8, 64GB 4200 speed.

If you don't find a stick that won't run the rated XMP speed or they all won't run one at a time XMP, I would just reduce the memory multiplier to a slower stable able to boot speed.

I would Disable MCE while testing memory, wait until you have the memory sorted out.

Memtest86 ISO runs in DOS.

Last edited:
@Earth Dog: I am quite new to this so please don't mind if I ask you again, I checked the QVL for my MB, and I saw a ram kit, G.Skill 4200 64GB is on the list, yes I know it's 4200 and 64GB and it's different than the one I have, but since it support 4200 I believe it should also support the one that I have right?
No. That is what I am trying to say. The CPU needs to have a strong enough IMC (integrated memory controller) to do so. Most do not. You can try to mess with it, contact GSkill, return the sticks for some 3600 that has a much greater chance to work... those are your options to me. :)

I see a memory stick not reach rated speed a lot when people will let me help them test. The memory I have now is a second set since the first set was XMP unstable. Since memory manufactures started overclocking memory I have had problems with a stick not reaching rated speeds and the a replacement solved the issues. Once I had two stick that did not reach rated speed in this Fourm and I did RMA twice to solve the problem.

Really how do you know how often a memory stick won't reach rated speeds? Really? every few times this situation comes up I suggest testing the sticks individual in this forum your on my case for reason not to do a simple XMP stick testing.
I bet on sports, a less than 50% average total for most, and win. If 95%+ of sticks come back OK, Im all in brother. ;)

Back