• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my I9 7980XE a faulty one? can't turn on XMP with G.Skill 4133C19Q 32GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After doing this test, I guess, if not my Motherboard, then it is my CPU really having a weak IMC,

Tested all 4 sticks one by one, turn on XMP, can't boot up my PC and the error code shown on the MB is code 04, Test NVRam. (Same for all 4 sticks)

Can I say that all my hardwares are fine now? do you recommand me to run one last test by using SiSoftware Sandra Lite Platinum.SP4?

Stress test passed for this setting (All auto, except DRAM FREQ set to 3600, 1.4V, 16 18 18 38) so far, Memtest86 (DOS), Memtest, PRIME95 (BLEND, longest run time is 7 hours without error), AIDA64 RAM benchmark, 3DMark Fire Stirke Ultra, Extreme and standard, CINCBENCH, REAL BENCH, Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit.

Thanks

PS: By the way, good find, I learn something new from the artical. next time I will surely consult with you guys before making expensive purchases. But this is also the first time I encounter such issue, must be lucky in the past.

It's good that you did the stick testing you would never know until you tried, now you can be sure 99% the memory is not the problem with overclocking. You are just unlucky this time with the IMC, the ASUS X299 article I linked for you had the 4 sticks of DDR4-4133 running no problem with XMP. One thing I'm thinking could reduce your bench scores is the spectre meltdown vulnerability patch. Do you have the latest BIOS update ? If you do it should have the patch that can slow down performance.

So, they don't accept returns period? Typically even if its good, many will accept it back, just chage a restock fee. Did you call and confirm or are you guessing?

Seems we will have to tell you its normal until we are blue in the face. :p

I called them, that said I can only return the kit if it's a faulty one, but I tested it with Memtest86 and Memtest (windows) and found no errors, unless I insist that this kit can't run at 4133 and they don't have a machine that able to run it either but that will be quite time consuming as I might end up waiting their tech guy to test it for a few hours...

Nah, I just have no idea why even with similar hardware the score could be different like that. I am quite new to this because my pervious PC can turn on XMP without any issue so I never dig into so many research and ran that many stress testes. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

It's good that you did the stick testing you would never know until you tried, now you can be sure 99% the memory is not the problem with overclocking. You are just unlucky this time with the IMC, the ASUS X299 article I linked for you had the 4 sticks of DDR4-4133 running no problem with XMP. One thing I'm thinking could reduce your bench scores is the spectre meltdown vulnerability patch. Do you have the latest BIOS update ? If you do it should have the patch that can slow down performance.

That's a shame, weak IMC for the mightly 7980XE, at least I learn something and next time I will be more careful.

Yes, I have the newest BIOS installed. (ver 1102)

There could be a slew of reasons. PCMark8 also tests the entire SYSTEM. So if he has a faster drive or something along those lines, that will affect the score too.

Your chip is fine. Your system is fine. Now go enjoy it. :)

You could always sell that memory as "barely used" and get lower one like 3200 C14 or 3600 C15 ?

There could be a slew of reasons. PCMark8 also tests the entire SYSTEM. So if he has a faster drive or something along those lines, that will affect the score too.

Your chip is fine. Your system is fine. Now go enjoy it. :)

I really would love to start enjoy some gaming after all this.

Sadly, My PC rebooted by itself while running the stress test from SiSoftware Sandra Lite Platinum.SP4, I am not sure which part, because when I woke up it's already restarted, I need to check if there are any error log once I back to home and run it again with the stock settings for the ram and see if it will reboot again.

And until today I still can't figure it out what cause those jerky moments that happens from time to time, not really that much, and each time it only last for around 3 -5 seconds. But quite annoying when it happenes..... for example it only happened 2 times when I was playing Rainbow Six Siege yesterday. (I played it for nearly 2 hours), sometime it will also happen when I was browsering the web by using Microsoft Edge. (usually when move to next webpage or minimize / restoring the browser window), not sure if it has anything to do with the newest Intel ME hot fix or not.

You could always sell that memory as "barely used" and get lower one like 3200 C14 or 3600 C15 ?

Since I have read the return policy on G.Skill's website that I am sure I can't return it to the shop, I might still losing some dosh by selling this kit so I might stick with this kit as a reminder to myself to be careful next time when buying new HW for my gaming PC.

At least I know I might be able to push it for better timings mentioned by other members.

What case do you have and how are the fans set up?

Again, how are the fans setup? Which way are they blowing? Should be front/sides = intake while top/rear = exhaust.

Again, how are the fans setup? Which way are they blowing? Should be front/sides = intake while top/rear = exhaust.

I am no expert on this but all the fans were in place when I purchase this case, so I presume it is working as intended, but I just discovered 2 of them on the front panel are not working, weird...am I plug it in the wrong pin?

The fans setup are identical to this picture since he is using corsair's tower case, so it should be the same, FRONT side = 2 fans, rear = 1 fan.
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12537&d=1366206343

Their connector should be plug into the pin where it shows CHA_FAN right?

Funny thing is the one on the back where I plug it's connector into the CPU_FAN and it worked. but those two on the front panel (2 fans but 1 connector), I tried plug it into the CHA_FAN & CPU_FAN pin, both of them are not working.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

PS: on the other hand, the fans for the CPU cooler were installed like this

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12534&d=1366206280
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12536&d=1366206326

Last edited:
That was kind of what I suspected.
If the intake fans at the front aren't working that's a problem. Sounds like you have them in the right spot but need to test the fans or the fan header
I've never been a fan of having the AIO deposit warm air into the case which yours is doing. I know they suggest that to keep the CPU cooler but it heats everything else up especially when you only have one exhaust.
The graphics card you have also deposits it's heat into the case so you could be getting a build up of warm air which will cause instability.

That was kind of what I suspected.
If the intake fans at the front aren't working that's a problem. Sounds like you have them in the right spot but need to test the fans or the fan header
I've never been a fan of having the AIO deposit warm air into the case which yours is doing. I know they suggest that to keep the CPU cooler but it heats everything else up especially when you only have one exhaust.
The graphics card you have also deposits it's heat into the case so you could be getting a build up of warm air which will cause instability.

Check in the BIOS to see if it reads them. Run the Qfan thing to calibrate the fans, etc?

I will check my bios and try to check if it is really my fan, or it's connector broken when I back to home. here's an update of the stress test result from Si Software.Sandra.

So, this time, my PC didn't reboot after an hour of stress testing (By the time it was testing the GP/CPU/APU), but the test ended, or say stopped in the middle of the stress test with error code 8111 (unexpected error), the description in the readme for this error code is "Unexpected error and can not be explained".

So I open the error log, I saw a lot of "Update GP driver" error msg show up but if it is refer to the GPU driver, I already installed the newest one. so I have no idea again.

Sorry... what are we testing at this point??

The motherboard I believe, was about to start enjoy some gaming then my PC rebooted by itself when running a stress test from SiSoftware Sandra Lite Platinum.SP4,

It also failed to run the whole thing and stop in the middle of the test yesterday.

If you can't pass a stress test it must mean one....or some hardware have issue (that's what PRIME95 teach us...inside their README). I am going to try again tonight with the stock setting for the memory and see what happen.

Since I am able to run PRIME95 (Blend) for 7 hours and finished all the testes in Memtest86 that means my CPU & RAM should be fine, now let's hope the motherboard is also in good condition.

This is probaly the last stress test I am going to use it to test my PC.

Could be something unrelated to the CPU/board/mem as sandra tests a whole slew of things. You'll need to try and isolate which test is failing could even be a software issue.

Jesus man, the mobo is fine. Stop trying to FIND a problem with your stuff!!!!!!! :)

Now you are at the point to simply use your PC bud... testing it out with different stress tests is really only going to yield more time spent. If you passed P95 blend for 7 hours, chances are its stable for your uses.

Use your PC as it sets and see instead of continuing to run stress tests for hours and hours LOOKING for a problem. :clap:

Last edited:
I would run it on default BIOS settings with SiSoftware Sandra Lite Platinum.SP4 and any other stress test you wan't to do to see if you have any trouble. Then we can go from there with helping you on overclocking.:)

Last edited:
Could be something unrelated to the CPU/board/mem as sandra tests a whole slew of things. You'll need to try and isolate which test is failing could even be a software issue.

Yesterday before I went to bed I let my PC run that stress test again overnight and it stopped at the same test, it's under the GP/CPU/APU catagory, the name of the test is Memory Bandwidth, according to their website it might be this one. https://www.sisoftware.co.uk/q-a-benchmarks-cpu-vs-gpgpu-memory-bandwidth/

Jesus man, the mobo is fine. Stop trying to FIND a problem with your stuff!!!!!!! :)

Now you are at the point to simply use your PC bud... testing it out with different stress tests is really only going to yield more time spent. If you passed P95 blend for 7 hours, chances are its stable for your uses.

Use your PC as it sets and see instead of continuing to run stress tests for hours and hours LOOKING for a problem. :clap:

I only run the stress test when I went to bed as I really want to enjoy some gaming, sadly I really want my PC to pass all the stress testes because according to their website, they wrote: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/downl...ols/sisoftware-sandra-lite-2017-2455-sp4-605/
"If it passes then your PC is probably fine. If it fails, your PC crashes or locks up, then you'll know there's a problem somewhere, and can reduce your overclock accordingly."

So you see why I insist to found out what's happening even I know most of the hardwares inside the BOX should be fine as you said.

I would run it on default BIOS settings with SiSoftware Sandra Lite Platinum.SP4 and any other stress test you wan't to do to see if you have any trouble. Then we can go from there with helping you on overclocking.:)

Thanks, tonight I will run it again with everything set to AUTO (That's the default setting I guess? as it will set my DRAM freq to 2133mhz), do I have to turn off multi core enhancement? it is enabled by default.

Thanks, tonight I will run it again with everything set to AUTO (That's the default setting I guess? as it will set my DRAM freq to 2133mhz), do I have to turn off multi core enhancement? it is enabled by default.

Look for a main setting that will set the BIOS to optimized default. Multi core enhancement increases all the cores multipliers to maximum Intel turbo speed, it should be fine 99% of the time with it on, however I did see review this year where it caused CPU errors, then CPU voltage increase was needed for stability.

Back