• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my I9 7980XE a faulty one? can't turn on XMP with G.Skill 4133C19Q 32GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you using all the up to date drivers from the motherboard site?

If overclocking stability is attainable with increasing the Vcore and the stock 1.8V VCCIN then that is all that needs to be done. The real problem comes with what the processor will do with overclocking limits. As of 12/01/17, the top 31% of tested 7980XEs were able to hit 4.4GHz or greater. https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/7980xe44g

Silicon lottery doen't specify anything but V_Core from that link and the OP has a 7/10 chance of getting a worse CPU.
What I do know is every voltage in the CPU runs from that rail so depending on motherboard and their auto function the VCCIN needs to go up as voltage requirements go up and is very CPU dependant. What you'll see is raising V_Core can cause a no boot scenario or low performance in benchmarks even though it'll still pass stress testing these are my observations from overclocking a 7820X/7900X and 5960X.

Last edited:
Are you using all the up to date drivers from the motherboard site?

Silicon lottery doen't specify anything but V_Core from that link and the OP has a 7/10 chance of getting a worse CPU.
What I do know is every voltage in the CPU runs from that rail so depending on motherboard and their auto function the VCCIN needs to go up as voltage requirements go up and is very CPU dependant. What you'll see is raising V_Core can cause a no boot scenario or low performance in benchmarks even though it'll still pass stress testing these are my observations from overclocking a 7820X/7900X and 5960X.

Oh my, so I am the unlucky one, paid for an expensive CPU but received a "not so prefect" product.

Yes disable turbo boost 3.0 in software and BIOS. Then give the games a try.

Same result, the jerky effect still happens from time to time, so I guess it has nothing to do with the MCE & Turbo.

I also notice that when my PC is handling a task the benchmark score will drop, for example, I was downloading a game on STEAM and when I run the benchmark from CPU-Z, the result is 8039 / 379 instead of 9044 / 479, I wonder if that is the reason the jerky effect happen because the CPU is "Handling" something when I am gaming..?? but we are talking about a 18 cores CPU there so I really have no idea now.

Also I am getting poor performance from games like Total War Warhammer & Total War Attlia, both of them are CPU demanded games, as I can't find any benchmark result for my CPU related to those 2 games I really have no idea are those games badly optimized or is my system got problems.

On The other hand, the benchmark score from 3D Mark, Fire strike ultra seems close to those reviews I found on the internet.

Benchmark result:

Total war Warhammer:
MAX: 120 FPS
AVG: 60 FPS
MIN: 20 FPS

Total War Attlia:
MAX: 61 FPS
AVG: 50 FPS
MIN: 30 FPS

PS: Is there a review for 7980XE including gaming benchmarks so that I can try to take reference and see if my CPU is actually fine.

Oh my, so I am the unlucky one, paid for an expensive CPU but received a "not so prefect" product.
No, not at all. Every CPU is different! Its a 'perfect' product because it runs just fine at stock speeds. You are overclocking, Intel does not really support nor guarantee overclocking capabilities. Johan is spot on... SL found that 3/10 could make 4.4 GHz... yours, falling in the 70%/majority category, cannot.

103 posts in, I am still not sure what is coming or going in this thread or if we have a real problem.......

A couple things concerning gaming on SkylakeX. First of all the whole product line isn't as good at gaming as say a straight up Skylake or Coffee Lake. Probably in part due to the slower cache speed. Now you have a monster 18 core 32 thread CPU, most games won't use more than 4 threads so all the extra "horse power " in that bad boy is being wasted, it's not really a "gaming" CPU. You'd be further ahead with a 5.0 GHz 8700k for gaming.
Where your CPU shows it's strength is in multithreaded applications such a video rendering

Try enabling adaptive V_Sync and see if that jery mouse thing goes away while gaming

Last edited:
No, not at all. Every CPU is different! Its a 'perfect' product because it runs just fine at stock speeds. You are overclocking, Intel does not really support nor guarantee overclocking capabilities. Johan is spot on... SL found that 3/10 could make 4.4 GHz... yours, falling in the 70%/majority category, cannot.

103 posts in, I am still not sure what is coming or going in this thread or if we have a real problem.......

Because I am quite suprise to see the bad performance in the total war games and yet I am not able to find similar benchmark result on the internet, that's why I want to hear more from you guys to understand is it really my hardware or the game itself is badly optimized. not to mention that when I am downloading a game on STEAM my CPU power seems downgraded during the download, is it really normal?

A couple things concerning gaming on SkylakeX. First of all the whole product line isn't as good at gaming as say a straight up Skylake or Coffee Lake. Probably in part due to the slower cache speed. Now you have a monster 18 core 32 thread CPU, most games won't use more than 4 threads so all the extra "horse power " in that bad boy is being wasted, it's not really a "gaming" CPU. You'd be further ahead with a 5.0 GHz 8700k for gaming.
Where your CPU shows it's strength is in multithreaded applications such a video rendering

Try enabling adaptive V_Sync and see if that jery mouse thing goes away while gaming

Is it normal that the benchmark score will be lowered when I am downloading something? what can cause it? (refer to my benchmark result above) I have no clue now, is downloading something 60mb/s will draw that much CPU power?

Does the jerky effect only happen with gaming?

Acutally nope, but hard to notice due to when you are surfing the web you will stop from time to time, but sometimes I am just so lucky to catch it by minimize - maximize the window and bam......the jerky effect was there, Also, yesterday I notice that when my PC is loading something, the jerk effect will occur, for example, I clicked a link shared by a member on a fourm, it is MEGA web drive and he putted a lot of files / resource there, when the browser start loading and try to show all the content inside his web drive the jerky effect happens and my PC become very slow until it finish loading everything.

Is that normal? I don't recall my pervious CPU, the 5960X has similar issue like that.

Yes it's normal for lower benchmark score while doing other tasks since the CPU now has to share resources.
I'm wondering if the mouse issue could be browser related.
After you set up your system did you install all the drivers for your motherboard and all USB3/3.1 drivers

Yes it's normal for lower benchmark score while doing other tasks since the CPU now has to share resources.
I'm wondering if the mouse issue could be browser related.
After you set up your system did you install all the drivers for your motherboard and all USB3/3.1 drivers

Yes, I installed all the drivers comes with the USB (they use USB instead of DVD),

Usually I won't open any web browser when I am playing games so it might not be related to it,

From the web browser scenario I afraid that it has something to do with my CPU, Ram or my SSD,

The jerky effect kicks in means the system is loading something I believe, I am off to do more testing (gaming),

But the low performance / low FPS from those 2 total war games I mentioned above really makes me quite worry about my system.

Like I said if you bought this for gaming you bought the wrong platform. This isn't your CPU but the 7900X is the same family just 10 cores not 18 take a look at this graph the overclock score on the 7900X was done at 4.6 Gz. You also have to keep in mind that your CPU has a lower stock clock than the 7900X. The only way to improve you FPS is to overclock that CPU and get that ram set up to something respectable.
If this was intended as a Gaming PC then you really did buy the wrong system. For less than the price of that CPU you could have gotten an 8700k, good overclocking motherboard and ram which will give you much higher FPS right out of the box.

total-war.png

Now if you want to get that PC set up properly we can help but forget about running that memory at a fast speed. I would set it up at 3200 CL14, then start overclocking the CPU to get you some higher FPS

Like I said if you bought this for gaming you bought the wrong platform. This isn't your CPU but the 7900X is the same family just 10 cores not 18 take a look at this graph the overclock score on the 7900X was done at 4.6 Gz. You also have to keep in mind that your CPU has a lower stock clock than the 7900X. The only way to improve you FPS is to overclock that CPU and get that ram set up to something respectable.
If this was intended as a Gaming PC then you really did buy the wrong system. For less than the price of that CPU you could have gotten an 8700k, good overclocking motherboard and ram which will give you much higher FPS right out of the box.

View attachment 197478

Now if you want to get that PC set up properly we can help but forget about running that memory at a fast speed. I would set it up at 3200 CL14, then start overclocking the CPU to get you some higher FPS

I guess the most expensive hardware does not mean the most powerful hardware anymore, next time I better consult with you guys first before building up a gaming PC.

Now, look at the graph above even the stock 7900 has higher FPS than mine which makes me worried as I can only get 51.1 avg fps from the benchmark with the same settings (ultra preset DX12).

Please kindly let me know how to set up my PC properly as in no way the avg fps from my 7980XE will be a lot lower than a 7900(stock), something must be wrong.

Thank you.

Does the jerky effect only happen with gaming?

Acutally nope, but hard to notice due to when you are surfing the web you will stop from time to time, but sometimes I am just so lucky to catch it by minimize - maximize the window and bam......the jerky effect was there, Also, yesterday I notice that when my PC is loading something, the jerk effect will occur, for example, I clicked a link shared by a member on a fourm, it is MEGA web drive and he putted a lot of files / resource there, when the browser start loading and try to show all the content inside his web drive the jerky effect happens and my PC become very slow until it finish loading everything.

Is that normal? I don't recall my pervious CPU, the 5960X has similar issue like that.

I think your have a hardware problem, could be your motherboard or processor, SSD, also devices. Reason is you have been complaining about the same problems previously somewhere in this thread. The problems your having are not normal. All my PCs hardware runs great. However, I had to RMA a lot of hardware to find perfect components for all of them.

I think your have a hardware problem, could be your motherboard or processor, SSD, also devices. Reason is you have been complaining about the same problems previously somewhere in this thread. The problems your having are not normal. All my PCs hardware runs great. However, I had to RMA a lot of hardware to find perfect components for all of them.

At this point I think it's difficult to be certain where the problem is. With the OP so unfamiliar with PC hardware it's quite possible it's just a poor setup. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's from having the ram set the way it is with such super loose timings and the sub timings are probably way out of whack as well.
Emperor, let's try starting over and forget about having the ram speed.
Go to BIOS and set defaults with F5 then reboot
Go back to BIOS set a ram speed of 3200, set the DRAM voltage to 1.35V then go to timings section and set tonly the first timing to 14 then reboot and see if it'll get to Windows. If it does can you take some screen shots of CPUz main and memory tabs and post them here

Well he is doing the same things now over and over with the same results on a new PC that he installed everything over and over correctly. For the jerky effect I feel it's time to start changing parts after he narrows it down with default settings like he is doing now.

Yes he continually insistes on running the memory at 3600 IIRC with the 4133 XMP . That is not going to work out well.

Yes he continually insistes on running the memory at 3600 IIRC with the 4133 XMP . That is not going to work out well.

I will try to follow your instruction to see if anything changes, but even with the settings you mentioned I still got the jerky effect, it happen just right in front of me when I am typing this reply. (it is like you typed a word and it appears 1 second later, that kind of lag, and stayed for a few seconds before it gone)

Also the benchmark score from CPU-z with this setting is a lot worse compare to my XMP / 3733 DRAM Freq settings,

Score:
XMP / 3733 DRAM = 480 / 9188
F5 Default / 3200 DRAM = 450 / 7103

Screenshot as shown below, please kindly let me know what is the next step.

Thanks MAIN.jpg MEMORY.jpg

OK I just wanted to see how it would set the other timings on auto, go back to BIOS and set the next timing after that 14 to 14

That jery effect you're describing I have seen and so have many others. Seems to be something with chrome. Have you updated your chrome browser

Look here: https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/total-war-warhammer-2-pc-performance-analysis/2/

Notice there is zero scaling past 6c/6t...

The 7980XE starts with a 700 MHz clock speed deficit.

I don't know if that is the issue here, but, its worth clocking and finding out.

I was using HWinfo64 and looking at all the cores, all the cores were stayed at 1194 mhz by default and will jump to 3394 when under load, what else can I do to test my CPU? lock all core at 3600mhz? Do I have to turn off speed step or anything else if I have to OC my CPU? Thanks

OK I just wanted to see how it would set the other timings on auto, go back to BIOS and set the next timing after that 14 to 14

That jery effect you're describing I have seen and so have many others. Seems to be something with chrome. Have you updated your chrome browser

Ok, both are 14 now and able to pass the CPU-z benchmark, but still same low score (around 7200),

I am using Microsoft Edge, the default web browser for Win10.

Also, I just notice that when I am in BIOS the Jerky effect is there forever, you press a key, it move to the next page 0.5 or 1 second later.......I forgot if things are the same with my pervious MB, the Rampage V Extreme....

Back