• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my I9 7980XE a faulty one? can't turn on XMP with G.Skill 4133C19Q 32GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To improve CPU right now why not try the multi core enhancement setting. When you had XMP enabled you likely had that active as well should improve your benchmark scores
Try a different USB port for your mouse.

To improve CPU right now why not try the multi core enhancement setting. When you had XMP enabled you likely had that active as well should improve your benchmark scores
Try a different USB port for your mouse.

Unless there is a bug in the BIOS otherwise even with default settings the MCE is always on.... so the only way to push this test further will be overclocking my CPU I think? maybe you can teach me how push it further like locking all cores at 4.0Ghz?

Also, I don't think it matters if I move my mouse to another USB port because the jerky effect is more relative to the system itself, because when it happens it is not my mouse or keyboard that lags behind, it is like the whole system is under heavy load so my mouse pointer is skipping or the word only show up 1 second later after I typed it.

I start to worry about one of my hardware might have some minor issue that stress testes can't detect it just like Wingman said, but I have no idea which one it might be.

Still, I can't believe a 7900 can get 88 avg fps in total war: Warhammer while my 7980XE only gets 57.1 avg fps.

Something seems wrong there, let me benchmark for a few more games and see if the scores normal or not.

To get to 4.0 just set a multipier of 40 in the BIOS. Reboot and test it

What makes you think MCE is on without enabling it?? What board do you have now?

Re: mouse...you may be right... but it takes literally 30s to move it, test, and move it back. If you are using blue, try black or red...etc. if you had the answers, we wouldnt an 120+ posts in. ;)

Its about time you create a signature with your hardware, please. :)

Unless there is a bug in the BIOS otherwise even with default settings the MCE is always on.... so the only way to push this test further will be overclocking my CPU I think? maybe you can teach me how push it further like locking all cores at 4.0Ghz?

Also, I don't think it matters if I move my mouse to another USB port because the jerky effect is more relative to the system itself, because when it happens it is not my mouse or keyboard that lags behind, it is like the whole system is under heavy load so my mouse pointer is skipping or the word only show up 1 second later after I typed it.

I start to worry about one of my hardware might have some minor issue that stress testes can't detect it just like Wingman said, but I have no idea which one it might be.

Still, I can't believe a 7900 can get 88 avg fps in total war: Warhammer while my 7980XE only gets 57.1 avg fps.

Something seems wrong there, let me benchmark for a few more games and see if the scores normal or not.

I have had defective USB controller on the motherboard that lagged the whole system like your describing. What do you have plugged in the USB ports?

Last edited:
To get to 4.0 just set a multipier of 40 in the BIOS. Reboot and test it

Tried this before, no luck, shut down the moment I start the benchmark in CPU-Z.

What makes you think MCE is on without enabling it?? What board do you have now?

Re: mouse...you may be right... but it takes literally 30s to move it, test, and move it back. If you are using blue, try black or red...etc. if you had the answers, we wouldnt an 120+ posts in. ;)

Its about time you create a signature with your hardware, please. :)

Done, I updated my signature with my current spec.

still the same hardware as shown on page 1.
Spec of my PC:
CPU - I9 7980XE
RAM - G.Skill F4-4133C19Q-32GTZRF (Quad channel, installed in A1 B1 C1 D1 as per the manual)
VGA - MSI 1080TI Gaming X
MB - ASUS Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS - 1102 X64 (newest BIOS at this moment)
Sound card - SB ZXR
HDD - 5 SSD plus 1 NVME SSD
PSU - Corsair AX1200i
OS - Windows 10 Professional

I have had defective USB controller on the motherboard that lagged the hole system like your describing. What do you have plugged in the USB ports?

Keyboard, Mouse, G25 Racing Wheel, Razar headset, arcade stick, Webcam...that means they are fully occupied..

However, I just want to give you guys an update happened moments ago, first time I got a BSOD while playing CSGO,

The error message is WEHA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

@all:
I also notice a few things:

1) The jerky effect, I start to worry about could it be my MB got problem, or the ram, I was browsering the internet by using Microsoft Edge, I have around 10 tabs for different website, when I start to create more tabs, I notice it become more slower. it should not be as I have 32GB of system memory installed so I should be able to create more tabs. then just the moment I close it all, while I can still move my mouse, the browser freezed for 1 second, then the screen turn black for 0.1 second (just a blink of eyes) and the browser finally closed. so I try to re-create this again by creating 11 tabs in the browser but this time it closed just fine, wired.

2) FPS over 60+ but not so smooth issue: so I played GTA V for an hour, my FPS stayed aboved 80+, but there are moments that you feel like it is not 80 FPS you are getting, it's just not smooth. not unplayable, just not smooth. this effect usually will go away after 3 - 5 seconds, it does happen more than R6: Siege since GTA V got a lot of things to load I supposed.

3) My network disconnected by itself: I just noticed that when I am downloading things at full speed, let's say 80mb/s, after a few mintues my network will be disconnected, What I have to do is to unplug and plug in the Cat6 cable again or just wait for a few mintues then the connection will back on again, weird.....could it be my MB that causing all this?

Last edited:
Like I said before you need to set the BIOS to optimized default first and see if there are any problems with your components running stock.

I can't recall if this has been asked but was this a fresh install of Windows10 or did it come from another system?

Like I said before you need to set the BIOS to optimized default first and see if there are any problems with your components running stock.
Ok, I will try to play CSGO with the F5 default settings and see if I got that BSOD again.

I can't recall if this has been asked but was this a fresh install of Windows10 or did it come from another system?
Yes, fresh install, I hope it didn't mess up due to it shut down a lot before when I was testing my RAM in the very beginning.

Ok, I will try to play CSGO with the F5 default settings and see if I got that BSOD again.

Yes, fresh install, I hope it didn't mess up due to it shut down a lot before when I was testing my RAM in the very beginning.

Give your system a good shake down and leave it on optimized default for long time use to see if you have the jerky effect.

Give your system a good shake down and leave it on optimized default for long time use to see if you have the jerky effect.

It seems my system indeed has issue, just not sure which part,

Even with the default settings, I even make sure that it is on default by checking with CPU-Z before firing up CSGO, yes the DRAM FREQ is on 2133mhz, all timing are on auto.

I still got a nice BSOD with the same error message WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR,

Also, for some reason the benchmark score from CPU-Z are now stuck with 71xx ~78xx / 430 instead of 90xx / 470, (The horsepower of my system downgraded????? I read the review over the internet that even with default settings my CPU can reach 92xx scores without any issue....what's happening)

But when I run the Fire Strike Ultra benchmark from 3Dmark, my scores does looks ok I think? Graphic = 6988, Physic (CPU) 26063 combined 3681, total 7061 and it saids better than 86% of the system around the world.

I remember Johan said the DRAM Freq can alter the score in CPU-Z....

So, I will keep on testing and do some more gaming and see what happens, I feel like one of the hardware, the MB, RAM or CPU might have issue.

And yes, the Jerky effect still there even on default settings, I think it is because the CPU is handling something that cause such effect, because if I run the stress test from CPU-Z and try to click around, yes the system is not smooth due to my CPU is under heavy duty, but I do believe even the RAM could cause the jerky effect.

Also, another question to you guys, when you right clicking My Computer then click on Manage, will all the icons on the desktop reload when the moment you clicked "Manage"?

I have about 20 icons on my desktop, some are games some are software, those icons will refresh when I click Manage.

Will it be my motherboard causing all the issues...? any advice on how to test if my MB is fine or not?

Thanks

At this point man, I would try unplugging some of those USB devices and see if its one of them. Its ISO testing time...

Do you have AI Suite 3 installed? If so, try uninstalling that. A quick google just on WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR turned up on the first page (among other solutions mind you) AI Suite 3 was the culprit.

At this point man, I would try unplugging some of those USB devices and see if its one of them. Its ISO testing time...

Do you have AI Suite 3 installed? If so, try uninstalling that. A quick google just on WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR turned up on the first page (among other solutions mind you) AI Suite 3 was the culprit.

Ok, I will do some gaming with only Keyboard and mouse plugged in, and yes I have that AI suite 3 installed, let's me see if I am still getting that BSOD while playing CSGO after I uninstalled that. thanks

Don't reinstall it, Just see if it helps by not being there

Don't reinstall it, Just see if it helps by not being there

Ok not sure lucky or what but CSGO didn't give me BSOD this time, need to play a few more rounds just to make sure it's all good now.

Also, why I want to reinstall it and uninstall it again is because I found out there are still some compoents running in the background that belongs to Ai Suite 3.

Any suggestion? Thanks

Ok so yesterday I was really lucky, played CSGO 3 more times today and all result with a BSOD with the same error message. (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR)

And the AI Suite 3 was uninstalled for good but my system still crash when playing CSGO.

I wonder which part of my system has issue? could it really be the MB?

And I start to think the jerky effect might related to the CPU, yesterday when I try to play a video with Windows Media Player, just right before the video start playing my mouse can't move for 0.5 ~1 second, same tthing that happened right before the benchmark ended in CPU-Z, so I opened the task manager, and I saw when the CPU usage goes up (when I play the video), the jerky effect happens.

Keep in mind that this is just one of the scenario, I am still not sure if it is really the CPU or Ram.

Any suggestion on what kind of test I can still have a try?

Thanks

If it only crashed on one game.......... is it really a hardware issue? Try more games and see if they crash.

You said it doesn't crash on stress tests, but only in games?

Back