• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is pc toast?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornbread

Good morning all,

I'm having an issue with my pc (specs in sig/hp branded) booting up. It all started last night, all was well when I went to bed, but when I tried to get on it this morning it was froze to a black screen. I tried ctrl/alt/delete to no avail, so finally I decided to hard reset it since nothing else was giving me any sign. Now when it boots it will not boot past the bios splash screen, it just hangs, I cant even get into the bios, no function keys give me access, etc.

So I decided to start troubleshooting one thing at a time. Here is what I've tried:

-unplugging all usb and other devices.
-removed all memory (system beeped when all memory was removed, which makes me think it isn't memory related) and reseated each stick one by one, in this case I have 3 sticks but it still didn't boot with either one, two or all three in.
-tried using another hard drive, nothing.
-reset the cmos, including removing the battery.
-tried a spare graphics card.
-all fans are spinning and operational, including the graphics card fan.

I tried booting with a restore cd, still nothing, just hangs at bios splash screen with no access to bios.

I think I've tried everything and at this point im assuming maybe bad board or processor?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

No, no way to check them. I guess I could get another psu, even if that isn't the issue it wouldn't hurt to have a spare.

Check our sticky in the PSU section for a list of quality units :thup:

Edit: Also, a $10 multimeter would serve for checking the PSU voltages.

Last edited:
A failing PSU can cause the effect you describe as can a bad motherboard. Check for blown or bulging caps on the motherboard although if it's a newer high end board it may not have oil-filled capacitors that show signs of damage upon failure.

I'm guessing it's not high-end (the board, I mean), since he said it's HP branded. I'd check the caps and if they look fine (none bulging or blown), I would feel comfortable getting a new PSU. Couldn't hurt anyway.

Tried new psu and still same, freezes at bios screen with no access to bios settings, etc.

Also from what I can tell there are no blown capacitors, etc.

I appreciate all the help thus far.

Then I would see about getting a substitute board in some fashion to test the rest of the components. As Trents said, it seems like either a PSU or motherboard issue, and since you effectively ruled out the PSU, that leaves the motherboard. Before spending any more money, I would try to rule it out. No sense in buying a new board only to find out that you still can't run your system. Unfortunately, the only sure fire way to rule it out is with another motherboard (a known-to-be-working one, both before and after, would be your best bet).

Having said all of that, what PSU did you test with?

Dlaw, I reviewed all these posts and don't see where the OP mentions that it is an HP product, nor is that info in his Sig. Am I missing something with my aging eyes?

Cornbread, is this a custom built system? If so, can you add some more specifics about the motherboard, RAM, and PSU in your Sig?

Cornbread, run CPU-z and look at the motherboard tab. Is the motherboard HP branded or third party?

Sorry for late reply, taking care of a sick parent, never fun.

The power supply I tried was a corsair brand, forget the specs since I already returned it.

The pc is a HP Elite series and here is the mobo on ebay from another seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-IPISB-CH...515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b09533f13

And I'm unable to run cpu-z since the whole issue that brought me here is not being able to get past the bios splash screen to begin with. It just freezes and no function keys or anything for that matter let me have access to the bios.

I took mobo out completely and it looks good other than a little dust.

Do you have another computer that you can test at least some of the components on? If we can rule out the universal components (RAM, PSU and storage drives), that would leave the CPU and motherboard. I'm leaning towards the board at this point, but I wouldn't go spending money on it without being sure.

If you're certain the Corsair PSU you swapped in was sufficient from a wattage standpoint to cover the electrical draw of the system (and your system specs as listed in your Sig would not indicate much of an electrical draw) then you are down to replacing the motherboard. A toasted CPU would not boot at all. Looks like used motherboards for that PC are going for $75 on ebay. An I5 2500 is still a very relevant CPU so it would seem to be a smart investment just to replace the motherboard.

Back