• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is something wrong or am i getting old? x99 issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
I recently had major issues with my pc, and turned out to be defective motherboard.

Thread.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/791882-Strange-issue-with-my-pc

Now, my new motherboard is an Asus X99- A II.
The pc is working and running, but there are things i dont understand.

I dont know if this is all connected, but i cant find anything in the manual to solve my issue.

The Asus motherboard comes with RGB lighting, which is cool, and i like it, but when i turn off the PC, the LEDs stay on.

With my old motherboard i started to have similar issues, but it was the PSU staying on, same happend with new motherboard, but unplugging a Front face USB2 hub solved that issue. But now i noticed that my Aquaero 6 is staying on always?

So it seems that anything connected to Molex for power and connected to the motherboard USB2.0 connecters, forces something to remain turned on. My PSU is off, but letting power through as i understand it.

Basically can anyone point fingers, is this a new "charge" feature (which is disabled in BIOS) that is causing this, or is to do with the Molex/USB2.0 circle?

I like that my pc is off when i turn it off. I dont need the room lit up with LEDs from motherboard and frond screen of Aquaero 6.

Not sure if it's related or not, bity USB hub stays always on when connected to PC, even when it's off. I believe some USB ports may be always on for charging a phone or some other devices.

Also, if I remember correctly, sometimes when I overclock and PC hangs or I have to turn off it the 'wrong way', light may stay on.

Not sure on your board but most boards have jumpers to enable or disable keyboard and USB power stand by. Default is enabled. Might want to see if disabling USB power stand by turns those off when rig is shut down.

Some parts of the MB stay on like the nic for wake on lan, and for charging phones and other stuff. Now you can get a power strip with a switch and after you shutdown, turn the switch on the power strip off.
I have a x99 Designare EX with onboard RGB lighting but when I turn it off (shutdown) the leds do go out on my MB. Do the leds on your MB stay on even after 10 min or do they go out after 30 sec +/- a few sec?

on the x99 AII, in bios, go to advanced mode/advanced/onboard devices configuration.
you will find the setting you seek, in rgb lighting /in sleep, hibernate and soft off states, select off and that should get you what you are after.
yours in in the default selection, on.

on the x99 AII, in bios, go to advanced mode/advanced/onboard devices configuration.
you will find the setting you seek, in rgb lighting /in sleep, hibernate and soft off states, select off and that should get you what you are after.
yours in in the default selection, on.

Thats the first place i looked, and this is my option.

But no, i dont have those options. It tells me that the rgb will be on in all states... Which is kinds lazy i feel. I have had older motherboards where i had more options.

Okay, so after som digging, and bios update, which i fully forgot about, the rgb is now off when systen is off, but my aquaero 6 remains on, so the usb 2.0 keeps it on which i do not need. My options are to disable the usb ports and thats about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
all my boards have always had usb powered at all times.
you might try to find another way to power that other than usb.
or you can use the power supply power switch to kill it.

have you played with, bios, advanced mode, advanced/ onboard devices configuration/ asmedia usb 3.1 battery charging support?

Back