• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the asus crosshair 4 amd motherboard worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Honestly, if your not going to go extreme with it, its not worth it. The board was made for Extreme Overclockers, and would be utilized to its full potential unless under cold.

I recommend the M4A89TD or the M4A89GTD (the 890GX version). Gigabyte as always has the UD3 and UD5 line up for the 890FX and GX. MSI also has some greate 890FX board around (can't remember the name).

thanx....i dont really know what you mean by extreme overclocker, i overclock to the highest possilbe if you know what i mean...but lets say i do get this board, wont the overall performance of my pc increase anyway as its a good board

It's a good board. Don't know if you were considering any other options so I posted that 5 way comparison of 890 boards. I always like to compare things before buying.

In the end I don't think that you can go wrong with a Crosshair 4.

Extreme Overclocking is refered to those that use extreme cold to overclock. Since the Cross IV was designed for extreme overclocking it would be a waste of money to buy.

Now I'm just repeating myself.

thanx....i dont really know what you mean by extreme overclocker, i overclock to the highest possilbe if you know what i mean...but lets say i do get this board, wont the overall performance of my pc increase anyway as its a good board

Unless you are going LN2, Dice (dry ice), or slushpit chilled water...that motherboard is a bit overkill. Meaning, whatever CPU you get will run out of headroom before your motherboard does on air or regular water. So, unless you just like the best of the best (nothing wrong with that), you get a better bang for buck out of something a bit cheaper.

As to overall performance increasing on a board by board basis...not normally. All these guys get the chipsets from the same places, they are all gonna perform with 1-2% of each other. Now with the uber high end stuff, those chipsets have been "binned" a/k/a tested to run WAY beyond what any average overclocker is gonna do to it. And there are always exceptions...I've seen $120 motherboards wipe the floor with some of these $300 plus ones...it happens once in a while.

Long story short, unless you have an LN2 pot and a pair of gloves waiting at home you can save a few bucks and get something that is still top of the line, but not the best of the absolute best.

Back