• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the preapplied thermal paste on a stock AMD heatsink any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raffobaghdo

Registered
Hey so I ordered my motherboard and processor todayand the heatsink comes preapplied with thermal paste. Now I bought an FM1 A6-3650 Processor with an ASUS F1A55-M LX PLUS Motherboard and I'm just wondering will it be safe to just use to preapplied paste or should I buy my own thermal paste? Oh and I don't think I'm ever going to overclock if that's important lol. Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131813

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103943

AFAIK the only negative side to the pre-applied TIM is that is gets almost glue to the CPU after some time and is really hard remove it to replace it and stuff. Albeit I haven't got this issue myself.
Temp-wise the difference would be minimal, specially if you are not overclocking.
If you had some MX-2/4 laying around, sure, why not, otherwise don't bother.

AFAIK the only negative side to the pre-applied TIM is that is gets almost glue to the CPU after some time and is really hard remove it to replace it and stuff. Albeit I haven't got this issue myself.
Temp-wise the difference would be minimal, specially if you are not overclocking.

I guess I'll stick with the stock thermal paste. If I see any problems with overheating (crossing fingers I don't) I might just go ahead and buy some MX-2. I used that for my Core 2 Duo a while back and at idle it was 40C. Thanks

Na, you won't run into any overheating problems unless you didn't installed the heatsink correctly, which is almost impossible. Cheers.

I ran the stock paste on my FX-4100 with a mild overclock till I eventually got an Hyper 212.
I had no issues with the paste, but the stock HSF was too weak for OC'd folding.

I ran the stock paste on my FX-4100 with a mild overclock till I eventually got an Hyper 212.
I had no issues with the paste, but the stock HSF was too weak for OC'd folding.

On my FX-4100 the stock cooler and paste (probably mostly the cooler's fault, though) wasn't very good. It ran at 50C load while undervolted and at stock speeds... switched to a Hyper 212+ and now my load temps are around 35ish degrees with a little overclock. :) Much better.

On my FX-4100 the stock cooler and paste (probably mostly the cooler's fault, though) wasn't very good. It ran at 50C load while undervolted and at stock speeds... switched to a Hyper 212+ and now my load temps are around 35ish degrees with a little overclock. :) Much better.
That solid aluminum block is a joke, I went with the 212 EVO and couldn't be happier with it on this cpu.
I can't hear the fan and it doesn't rev to full speed while folding.

That solid aluminum block is a joke, I went with the 212 EVO and couldn't be happier with it on this cpu.

He's got a stock cooler. How does your post help?

No mention of paste or what CPU you had or if you used a stock cooler. No, so lets grade this reply not worth the epeen to reply.:rain:

He's got a stock cooler. How does your post help?

No mention of paste or what CPU you had or if you used a stock cooler. No, so lets grade this reply not worth the epeen to reply.:rain:
Post #8 was my response to the OP stating I used the stock AMD paste which is obviously pre-applied to the stock HSF

What you quoted me on was in response to post #9

Do you actually read a thread or just make it up as you go? :p

Last edited:
He has a stock cooler. You didn't mention your paste used or anything. You got a better cooler than he has. You didn't say you used better paste and gave NO indication except you got a better cooler.

You said you had no issues with the stock paste and tried nothing different, nor did you specify what paste you used on the new heatsink.

And no mention of ambient temps, case, processor, fans on the cooler, idle temps or load temps.

That is the issue. Nothing to help the op. That's what we do here.

Looking at my posts per day> I think I take time to read posts.

Last edited:

My stock heatsink had what I would assume is a copper core. The way the stock thermal paste was applied to the heatsink irked me though; Looked like a bunch of little bumps which seems to me would cause a lot of little air bubbles in-between as those bumps spread out.

Whenever I have used the stock cooler the paste has proven to be good. One time when the cooler was on for an extended period (6 months+) it dried enough that I couldnt remove the cooler without pulling out the cpu in the process. Some minor pin damage but nothing that couldnt be easily staightened.

Whenever I have used the stock cooler the paste has proven to be good. One time when the cooler was on for an extended period (6 months+) it dried enough that I couldnt remove the cooler without pulling out the cpu in the process. Some minor pin damage but nothing that couldnt be easily staightened.

Yep, this is what I was referring to, is note often but it can happen.
Just gotta Prime it for a few mins and then remove it, no big deal.

I always apply a bit of extra thermal paste for reassurance and not to have to run into that issue that you guys are having with the heatsinks stinking to the cpu. I've havent ran into any issues yet to date with that.

By the way, I've found the best way to separate a "sticky" heat sink from the CPU is to slide it off to the front side rather than pulling or twisting or rocking. Just slide it toward the ram. It may be a good idea to remove the ram to give more room to do this.

the easy way to remove that heatsink is to run prime95 and get the temp up for a bit and a little twist is all you'll need to remove it - if that.

Back