• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a Motherboard Problem ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yikes, March. At the very least you should have found out if your board needed an RMA :bang head

Can't RMA for a number of reasons.

Honestly, I suspected the problem was Vista based, not RAM based, because it has issues going into sleep mode as well.

I don't suppose anyone has a suggestion as to what timings I should use for the Gskill RAM in this board? I haven't messed with the timings yet.

Gskill 2 X 1 Gig. Model: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

Edit: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114969

This guy has some suggestions but it's for the p5b...

Edit#2: Used the RAM timings listed in that link. So far, it seems to have solved the problem. Although it's still requiring psu reset after F10 in the bios (Save and exit)

Last edited:
Thanks Maverick. I am aware of the memory timings and voltage. As a matter of fact, I had this same system in my TJ07 case and oc'ed it to 3.4Ghz no problem. It's just that ever since I moved this to my wife's case a P180, that I am having trouble with it.

Can't RMA for a number of reasons.

Honestly, I suspected the problem was Vista based, not RAM based, because it has issues going into sleep mode as well.

I don't suppose anyone has a suggestion as to what timings I should use for the Gskill RAM in this board? I haven't messed with the timings yet.

Gskill 2 X 1 Gig. Model: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

Edit: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114969

This guy has some suggestions but it's for the p5b...

Edit#2: Used the RAM timings listed in that link. So far, it seems to have solved the problem. Although it's still requiring psu reset after F10 in the bios (Save and exit)

The voltage is more important than timings. Try just doing 2.1v or 2.2v. It should be okay, but you should really check your stock settings.

The voltage is more important than timings. Try just doing 2.1v or 2.2v. It should be okay, but you should really check your stock settings.

Stock is 1.8 to 2.0V. 5-5-5-15

I'm at 1.9 right now 5-5-5-15

These settings seemed to have solved the problem. (It still won't oc over ddr2 850 though.. :( We'll see if it reappears later as it has in the past.

Thanks Maverick.

Good luck Mixman!

If you want it to go higher than 850, simply give it more volts. It is possible to give it too much though, and I don't know a thing about Gskill really. I've always been a Crucial fanboy. Crucial sticks can take 2.25v w/o any extra aftermarket cooling because of the d9 chips.

The Ballistix do have a stock heat spreader though.

If you want it to go higher than 850, simply give it more volts. It is possible to give it too much though, and I don't know a thing about Gskill really. I've always been a Crucial fanboy. Crucial sticks can take 2.25v w/o any extra aftermarket cooling because of the d9 chips.

The Ballistix do have a stock heat spreader though.

It would be great to get it up to 900 or so. I'll try 2.1 and see what happens. I have a temperature probe on the RAM, and I can monitor. If I fry it, I guess i'll just have to get better overclockable RAM :)

It would be great to get it up to 900 or so. I'll try 2.1 and see what happens. I have a temperature probe on the RAM, and I can monitor. If I fry it, I guess i'll just have to get better overclockable RAM :)

If you are willing, you might have to up the North Bridge voltage as well.

Of course all these voltage increases comes with risk.

If i'm reading right, you have a e6700? Isn't that a 10x multiplier? You don't need to go any higher than 850Mhz...

425 FSB x 10 = 4.25Ghz...

What is going on over there? Sounds like you aren't running it 1:1. Are you able to do that? Not sure what the settings are on your board. Asus boards allow you to set the Boot Strap. If you set it to 333 then you can get your FSB:RAM at 1:1. It will perform better, and you won't need such high memory clocks.

Make sure you know exactly what I mean before guessing.

If you are willing, you might have to up the North Bridge voltage as well.

Of course all these voltage increases comes with risk.

If i'm reading right, you have a e6700? Isn't that a 10x multiplier? You don't need to go any higher than 850Mhz...

425 FSB x 10 = 4.25Ghz...

What is going on over there? Sounds like you aren't running it 1:1. Are you able to do that? Not sure what the settings are on your board. Asus boards allow you to set the Boot Strap. If you set it to 333 then you can get your FSB:RAM at 1:1. It will perform better, and you won't need such high memory clocks.

Make sure you know exactly what I mean before guessing.

No, I wasn't running 1:1. (Didn't realize it ran best at 1:1. Still learning.)

Well, it didn't help. The problem went away for a few on/off cycles, then came back. My RAM timings are now dead-on stock. I'll keep playing with the OC to see if I can find a sweet spot that doesn't cause this behavior.

Mixman, no help??

I tried the cmos reset and system still will not turn on without jump starting the psu. i am wondering if it's a psu or motherboard problem ?

I tried the cmos reset and system still will not turn on without jump starting the psu. i am wondering if it's a psu or motherboard problem ?

I'm not aware of anything that resets in a power supply, which makes me lean towards a motherboard problem.

Also, since we have the same mobo, same problem, I'm thinking that's it.

Unfortunately, I cannot RMA mine. Have you tried calling Asus over this issue yet?

Do you get the same behavior when you F10 out of the BIOS?

there is a reset on the ps on the back unplug your ps switch the 110 to 220 then back to 110 thats your reset dont think it will help but you can try

there is a reset on the ps on the back unplug your ps switch the 110 to 220 then back to 110 thats your reset dont think it will help but you can try

In all my time I've never heard of a power supply needing reset, and most certainly never heard of changing this to do it.

I'd recommend NO on that one. Not worth the risk. If it is a power supply issue, it's mishandling ATX specifications more then likely, and that'd point to the motherboard...possible PWM problems.

The funny thing is this combo did work together for six months. After the transfer to a new case, it doesn't want to work. It's funny though, once I boot it works perfectly fine and I can OC, but it just doesn't want to turn on from the case switch(which does work).

Back