• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Is this block fitted correctly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skeeta

Registered
I'm just beginning to assemble my first water cooled rig.
Today I decided to attach the CPU block and found something that surprised me a little.
I have a...
Dimastech Nethuns CPU Waterblock
Ybris CPU Waterblock Backplate Rev 2
i5 2500k CPU
Asus P8P67 New B3 Rev Motherboard

Neither the block or backplate came with any kind of instructions whatsoever and their site has no downloadable ones so I found a few tutorials for similar blocks and followed them.
The difference I found was that I had to remove the original locking device for the cpu from the mobo so now the cpu is being held in place by the block.

Is that right? There was absolutely no way of attaching the backplate with the device still attached to the board but the tutorials I've read/watched don't have to do this.

Sorry, I forgot there was a dedicated water cooling thread.
Can someone please move this to the correct place????

Thank you :)

Yeah, you shouldn't have to remove the CPU retention mechanism to get the backplate to fit.

Can you post pics or something? I don't see why you couldn't just sit the backplate on top of the retention's backplate.

Can you post pictures?

It sounds like you removed the clamp that holds down the cpu? If that's the case, then that block probably isn't compatible with that board. :confused:

Looks like Matt beat me to it. :rofl:

:sn:

The block is compatible with 1156, so it's compatible with 1155. I'm using an EK block on my 1156 board with the same retention mechanism, and I just set the water block backplate against the retention backplate. The mounting screws should be long enough too.

:sn:

The block is compatible with 1156, so it's compatible with 1155. I'm using an EK block on my 1156 board with the same retention mechanism, and I just set the water block backplate against the retention backplate. The mounting screws should be long enough too.

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean every board will work. It seems they should, but take a look at the Apogee XT not fitting every board properly because of the location of capacitors.

Never know what they added to make things work for them. :shrug:

Actually it turned out MattNo5ss was correct.
The block does fit with the retention mechanism in place. I'm new to water cooling but I've been an engineer for 25 years so my brain should have been able to see the way this goes together even without instructions.

This is it fitted. Notice the lack of retention unit.
IMAG0016.jpg

This is how the back looked originally. Take note of the fat nylon 'washers' under the bolt heads.
IMAG0018.jpg

The original build with the retention unit backplate in shot. I couldn't see how that could be left in place and me not bend the board when I tightened the plate bolts.
IMAG0019.jpg

This is it having just rebuilt it. Those 'washers' were in fact spacers to go between the board and the arms of the plate thereby creating a clearance between the now fitted retention mechanism and the plate.
IMAG0023.jpg

Sorry to waste your time guys but maybe this will help someone else who buys one of these blocks/backplates and has to guess how it all goes together.

Back