• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this PSU failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Have decided to wipe Windows 10 due to the issues running old games and putting Win 7 back on this system.

Now my problem i'm having are..

Computer will randomly restart itself this can be just after initial post screen comes up or a few minutes after getting into the OS.
I have had artifact looking issues come up on screen aswell so turned off my whole 200mhz overclock and turned off all unlocked cores from my 555 CPU. Since then this issue has happened far less but has still happened one more time with the whole screen artificating.

I considered perhaps it was he GPU hence why I decided to just do a new OS install and have taken any extras out GPU/DVD Rom etc.

The issue still persists.

All parts in the machine are second hand or used from my old machine the PSU I think might be at fault its a 500w off brand chinese job, I don't have a spare PSU to test with either.

Are there any other symptoms I have missed that can confirm its the PSU.

About a week ago the machine was running perfect with no issues. The PC has not been moved around or anything either just sits in the one place and it has little to no dust in it.

Cheers,

Bandit.

I had a similar issue with my very old PC. It would also randomly restart. When I got rid of that PC and kept using psu for other tasks, it has the same tendency to shut down under load. I was only using 12v rail for my purposes(charging batteries).

This psu still 'works', but this random sometimes quirk.

If there isn't enough power could an undervolt/clock solve this issue as a temp fix?

So far I have all of about 5 minutes max into the system once I login before it crashes again. Just trying to see if underclocking and undervolting will keep it stable. If doing this keeps the system stable is it fair to say it would be the PSU for sure ??

:shrug: can you remove graphics card and use integrated graphics instead? That would probably remove a lot of load from power supply. At least narrow it down to either psu vs graphics card if you get any better stability while testing...

Any anomalies inside bios hardware monitor? I mean voltages section.

GPU has been removed have been running off integrated, down clocking does keep the system stable for abit longer. Previously it was barely 5 minutes if that. Now its stable for about 45mins before it crashes and reboots itself. Temps on the 2 cores max 32 degrees and just copying and pasting files to see how long it would go for.

Motherboard can't remember exact model I 100% know it is rev 3.4 Ga lmt -s2.

Would CPU thermal paste cause the problem ? I have taken the CPU out Pins are fine and put back in the system but id imagine rather than reboot it would shut down the system correct?

I have had the artifact like issue happen still about once or twice. its full screen with rectangular boxes consisting of two different colours. Each time the system has this type of crash one of the two colours is different but the patttern is the same.

Will realbench stress be able to 100% confirm PSU issue?

GA-78LMT-S2
Throwaway cheap Gig board.
I'd bet the board before anything else. There's only been a billion revisions of it.

Yup that will be the board.

I was considering the board based on the fact I was getting the artifacts before and after GPU removal but most times there has been reboot issues with the PCs I owned it was the PSU.

So does the artifacting/reboots now confirm its the board so I can try hunt down a replacement.

Those boards are prone to onboard vid failure , NB failure, and VRM failure.
They are literally throw away boards. Not saying that is your problem, but it's a pretty good bet.
I your case, I would buy a board before a PSU.

New challenge trying to find a replacement board that won't cost me an arm and leg in NZD.

Back