• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue with Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tweakin057

Hello I am new here and to overclocking. I just installed my new ga-990fxa-ud3 when I install my RAM it will only boot with slots DDR1 and DDR3, when I install RAM on the other two slots I get 3 long beeps during POST.. I've checked all sticks in DDR1 and they all work.. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

please give a list of your other components. Also if you could possibly elaborate on what you mean by "I've checked all sticks in DDR1 and they all work.."

How many other sticks are we talking about?
what speed are they rated for?
what CPU?
did you set manual timings?
did you load into windows while testing each stick "in ddr1"?

and the list of things we need to know before giving a real answer is much longer. So please start by answering those questions and hopefully well get this sorted out ASAP!

Hello I am new here and to overclocking. I just installed my new ga-990fxa-ud3 when I install my RAM it will only boot with slots DDR1 and DDR3, when I install RAM on the other two slots I get 3 long beeps during POST.. I've checked all sticks in DDR1 and they all work.. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

If you are using 2 memory sticks then use slots 1/2. If you are using 4 then all slots should work. If your board can't see some ram then you have to set higher CPU-NB voltage ( usually +0.05-0.10V ) or memory voltage ( usually +0.05V ).

These boards have sometimes problems if you are using 2 sticks in slots 3/4. Also in slots 1/2 memory is overclocking better.

Slot description like on this photo ( as I never remember from which side is 1 ;) ).
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4001/5080_big.jpg
so as you see from cpu side it's 4, 2, 3, 1 .

If it still won't work then as ssjwizard said , we need some more info about your pc.

I have a total of four sticks of RAM at 2GB each, the RAM is rated 10600, the RAM I am using is Samsung, just using the RAM out of my hp that I had along with most of the other compenents,
cpu is AMD phenom II x4 840T
I did not set manual timings, since I really don't know what i'm doing with it
did not load windows fully got to log in screen and shut down and tried the other sticks.

If I put sticks in slot 1 and 2 I get three long beeps at post, same with 3 and 4, but it boots with sticks in 1 and 3,

any other information you guys need just let me know thanks

I read online that the phenom II's will only support 2 sticks of RAM, if thats the case then could that be my issue I am having?

the Phenom II CPUs only support 2 channels of ram. Further they are rated for 1333mhz x 2 sticks. They will pretty commonly do 4 sticks by that and occasionally(rarely) 4 sticks @ 1600mhz. There could be alot of things going on here. You never really clarified your inquiry. Good Luck.

Get out the information...

Okay "Tweakin057" you write asking for help but you do not give us good information to render full and complete help. You begin by saying your ram does not work. You do not and to yet have not given a full part number for that Samsung Ram. We cannot do much without full ram specifications including the part number and if it is 2x2gig times two for 8 gigs or what.

Below is link to the QVL list of ram that Giga has tested in that motherboard and 'only' see one stick of Samsung at all. By the way the board is to use 1.5Volt ram and since we don't know what ram you have yours could be gawd only knows what voltage. You might do well to go with ram tested by Gigabyte as working. Only way to have any idea is to know the actual ram you have.

Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for GA-990FXA-UD3
Memory modules listed below are for reference only. Due to massive memory models on the market, we can only verify some of them.
S13E1 Samsung 8GB M378B1G73AHO

Okay that cpu will work with 4 sticks if the ram is worth having. You follow the link below to that site and there is another link there for user running 8 gigs @ DDR1600. Cannot be junk ram.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258034-28-phenom-ddr3-memory-problem-found
i read that they had problems with running lower quality modules on four banks

quote:
***I spoke with Damon Muzny at AMD about this and it is not actually a problem. This behavoir is actually by design. The reason is that AMD could not predict the behavoir off all DDR3-1333 memory. They found that with certain lower quality memory modules and all four slots populated (2 modules per channel) they encountered instability. They were faced with a choice; either they could drop listing support for DDR3 - 1333 or they could design the system to down clock the memory to 1066 and recommend it to everyone using 2 modules per channel.

And further, the ga-990fxa-ud3 is now in its' third revision and the bioses change depending on the Revision of the motherboard as well as the manual to download changes by Board Revision. Be nice to not have to guess what board you really do have in use.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106131&stc=1&d=1330584849

Attachments

• RamSlotGiga990b.jpg
    RamSlotGiga990b.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 6,646
The RAM is this
M378B5673FH0-CH9 Samsung 2GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL9 240-Pin DIMM Dual Rank Memory Module Mfr P/N M378B5673FH0-CH9

ga-990fxa-ud3 is revision 1.1 with the bios version F5

Phenom II X4 840T 2.9 GHz L2(4x 512 KB) L3(6 MB) AM3

sorry for not getting this information sooner

T057 said:
just using the RAM out of my hp that I had along with most of the other compenents,
After I got the ram part number M378B5673FH0-CH9 (1.5V) and did some g00gling, I am not surprised any longer as to why that ram does n0t work very well, when I see where it is available and know that it came from another computer which is an OEM.

I am not going to name the places where the ram is available from but just say the places are not places I would be 'shopping' for performance oriented ram. The ram also seems to be sold as single sticks and not dual channel rated kits. So again it is not surprising to see that the two sticks of that ram will work in YOUR board slots 1 and 3 only, since that is 2 sticks of ram running in Single Channel mode. Not what you want for a brand new 990FX chipset motherboard. For lack of a better word that ram's goodness is not good enough for that motherboard and cpu to run well.

I guess that if I had the ram in my hands, I might put a stick of the ram in another mobo if available or install windows on the ga-990fxa-ud3 and use CPUz and the "memory tab" and the "SPD tab", to look at what the SPD built into the ram was saying it should be set to and then to see what the ram was being set to by the board and "try" a manual setup of the ram in board bios to try and get at least two of the sticks to run in dual channel and not just in Single Channel. I have n0 idea that I would have success.

I probably would find that I would have to purchase ram that was on Gigabyte's QVL list for that mobo if I wished do do any real computing on the configuration. And if I wanted 8 gigs of ram, I likely would purchase 2x4gig kit which is 2 x 4 gig sticks for a total of 8gigs in only 2 sticks of ram. YMMV.

Thanks for the help Rgone. I am looking to upgrade the RAM to some corsair vengence, but ran out of funds before I could get it. I mainly wanted to make sure the board wasn't bad on the other slots.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Rgone. I am looking to upgrade the RAM to some corsair vengence, but ran out of funds before I could get it. I mainly wanted to make sure the board wasn't bad on the other slots.

Without good ram, we must assume the other ram slots are good. Good luck on getting updated ram. RGone...ster.

I have the GX version of this board. I'm running a Phenom X6 with 2x2Gb and 2x4Gb Gskill 1600Mhz RAM. Total 12Gb. I had to down clock from 3.9 to 3.6 Ghz to get stable running while gaming. But I don't notice any loss in performance.

I have a Gigabyte 890FX-UD5 with Phenom 1055t with 4x2 gig sticks of AData at 1666MHz. The 1055t is at 3.5GHz. I have had the ram at over 1800MHz stable with 2 Gigabyte 5770's oced in xfire and the cpu at 3.8GHz. Have never had a stability problem running 4 sticks of ram. Just need to push the voltage a little; mine is at 1.65 volts. Have had 2x2gigs at over 2000MHz on this mb with 1055t stable in Prime95. Timing is critical so loosen up a bit if you have probs. When ocing the ram I go from 8x8x8x20 to 9x9x9x24. The Phenom 6 cores are capable of 4 sticks at pretty high clocks, just need voltage and good timings.

The 990xA should be able to handle 4 sticks no problem. The board also auto adjusts the voltage. I have 4 sticks of Kingston Hyper X 1600MHZ which runs at the full speed because I OC my Phenom2 965BE to 4GHZ and had to manually adjust the clocks on my RAM to 9-9-9-24.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got new RAM today (corsair Vengence 4x4gb) and all 4 slots are working, I also upgraded the cpu to a AMD 8120.

Gratz, Im sure you will be happy with the 8120 its a very nice CPU.

Back