• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Issue with Sony walkman

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NZKshatriya

DMCA Violated Member
model nwz-E344
I kinda tried to use it as a storage drive and windows won't recognize it now.
Any utilities out there that will recognize a USB device with no formatted file system, in order to format said storage?

Thing is about 5 years old, so if it's toast no real issue, but if I can fix it, would be kinda cool.

Last edited:
So you told windows it was a storage device or the Walkman has a setting to be used that way and now Windows won't see it? First check disk management because it might just need to have a drive letter assigned, and second perhaps a hard reset on the Walkman might yield results. Firmware update? Though if windows doesn't see it I guess firmware update is kinda out.....

Neither.

What I did was, try to format it. It doesn't have a way to format itself from within the firmware built it.
That failed, so now neither Windows, nor my Ubuntu VM will recognize *well, Ubuntu will, but cannot mount*

Funny thing is, the walkman firmware and UI tried to rebuild an audio library, but returns with an insufficient space error *so, the internal system is intact, just the storage space is so fubar lol*

I do have an 8gb iPod Nano..............which I would rather not use cos the sony walkman is such a more friendly MP3/Video player *more reliable than the control scheme on the nano*

- - - Updated - - -

If worse comes to worse I will end up buying a new one of these:

*or if I had the funds*

- - - Updated - - -

Funny enough, my old one on the fritz.........is more than half the cost of that hi-def sony

I just took one of my old smartphones and used it for an mp3 player. Everything I upgrade my phone I get another toy device. Check out the prepaid phone vendors and then check amazon.... I know for a fact that you can get used dual core smart phones for around $20. A cheap SD card and a WiFi connection will get you the rest of the way to a pretty awesome little mp3 player. And since it's a smartphone you can highly customize it.

I recommend researching what phones you might be able to get root access on and making that a major factor in your decision. With root you can remove all the bloat and get all the awesome audio mods. I've never had Beats Audio equipment, but I've got the best equivalent that android development can deliver - it's none too shabby

Edit: the Linux guys can probably help with Ubuntu. I would think if it can be seen it should be able to mount. Perhaps editing the fstab (becoming my goto answer for Linux stuff and is never right )

Last edited:
Well, salvaged a 2"(diagonal) LCD screen and a thin (2mm) LIon battery Parts is parts.

Who knows, if I start getting back into RaspberryPI and Arduino, maybe Ill make a tiny screen on the outside of a chassis, be a prompt for a keypad security system.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the most interesting things a teacher ever gave me.

and curiously, comes in handy when taking electronics apart

I cant believe I would be the only one that thought this xD

walkman.jpg

That said, unless you have some kind of converter or adapter for the screen, its probably going to be extremely difficult to "use" it for anything. Post if you ever get it working :)

Back