• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

issues updating windows 10 to ver. 1709

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Build a new installer from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool website in order to get the most recent installer build.

installed it from a flash drive. just gotta get all the drivers on there again but it seems to be working with it finally

i ended up getting the pro N version (bare, slimmed down apparently). cant find windows media player for download???

WMP is not included with the Win10 N version because N supposed to run on a server, not a desktop.
WMC was removed from Win10 completely, which made 10 a very hated OS among the HTPC crowd.

Just download VideoLAN VLC, it's a much better media player than WMC anyway.

Kodi (The app formerly known as XBMC) is supposed to be a good one. There's VLC, Media Player Classic, or if you have Nero or something similar that came with an ODD. I think Real Player is still around, too (Although I have no idea why). Anybody remember the QuickTime player?

Windows Media Player is still bundled with Windows 10 Pro. I just checked it on two of my machines. I bet you can download it and add it otherwise.

Win10's default (at least it is the default on my Win10 notebook) media player is called Movies & TV. It is a free App in the MS App store.

Not a fan of the default W10 player. Media Player and a codec pack covers everything but Blu-Ray, and I have Nero for that when I add my BR ODD.

Good write up here hhttps://www.itechtics.com/difference-between-windows-10-pro-vl-n-editions/ on the subject. It looks like the only difference is it didn't come with Media Player, which can probably be added. They just weren't allowed to include it because the EU thought that was the line that made M$/Windows a monopoly. LOL

ive experienced a few random freeze ups ever since reinstalling....... where would a log of this be?

Type 'event viewer' into the cortana search box. Sorry, I can barely figure out my own errors, much less another PC's errors. :eek:

One good thing I read about the N version is you are supposed to have complete control of windows update, were as a home version user, I have no control over it.

will there be anything in the logs if i just restarted from the reset button? it freezes and becomes unresponsive, which is why i have to do that

The Event log should have a reference to the freeze, but it's not always clear where the reference will lead you. Have you monitored your temps and voltages? They, too, may offer a suggestion as to what's up.

i have looked at temps and voltages. temps seem ok. voltage im not good with. next time it decides to freeze i will look more into this so i can get an exact time of when it happened so i can find it in the logs. ill get a screenshot of those things later.

Back