• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

issues updating windows 10 to ver. 1709

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tried everything on there, hopefully it helps. funny that ive never used a screen saver until recently and it didnt happen until after. power plan was also on balanced, changed to performance.

well it froze on me already. and when i go to power settings it wont let me switch to performance, it reverts back to balanced

never had these freeze ups before updating...... not once. think i am gonna reinstall with pro again (non N version). its not a whole lot of work.

i did however just disable power in services to see if that makes a difference. ill give that a go for a few days or whenever it decides to freeze up (whichever comes first), then reinstall i guess

hey all!

im not able to update to the fall creators update (1709). this is what im getting. i have tried about 5 times now.

iy0leg.jpg

any help would be great! thanks!

The USB flash drive you have the Windows setup files on, is very likely faulty... (Unless you burned the ISO to a DVD.) I had a similar error message earlier this year, IIRC. And it was because of a faulty USB flash drive. IIRC, I tested it with a Linux distro and it was crawling!

Last edited:
that was not from a flash drive. that was directly on the harddrive. flash drive did however work though

I will take that as No, you did not reformat and reinstall. That being the case you may have some legacy issues prowling around in your old OS that are conflicting with WinTen.

Not necessarily. If you got the ISO image and are getting the 'free upgrade' deal, then you likely did not have your HDD reformatted; possible but from everything you've posted in the thread leads me to think through to this post. Make a note of your Win7 key, reformat your drive, utilize the Win ISO stick for a clean install, be prepared to enter your key when prompted.

im not really sure how to go about it correctly i guess. the 10 version i have came from the media creation tool link i was given on page 1 and installed it from that off a flash drive. before doing this, in bios i booted right to the hardrive. now it says UEFI harddrive. its a little different. im just gonna have to put 7 on it or something. having a hard time here..... trying to get this together before i get this new cooler in. im ready to just reset everything in bios and install 7 :(

Last edited:
When you do a clean Win10 install, at some point you are shown a partition table. Delete all partitions, then create a new partition. That will be your new C:\ drive. Win10 will create the other partitions (Win10 reserved stuff) automatically.

thats what i did. boooted from the usb drive, deleted everything on C, and reinstalled. that should be good enough? not sure how else to format it while its in use lol

When you say you deleted everything, did you delete all partitions for drive 0 then create a single new partition? Sorry if I'm being repetitive.

UEFI.jpg

When you say you deleted everything, did you delete all partitions for drive 0 then create a single new partition? Sorry if I'm being repetitive.

View attachment 195535

No, it's cool. Wanna get this figured out.

That is what I did. I still had the other 2 drives hooked up though. I know I was told previously to unhook them, but forgot to. Would this be why the issues?

Back