• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with CPU temp sensing/fan control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frozenreads

Registered
I recently had a replacement Rampage III Formula board sent from ASUS and I noticed immediately the reported CPU temp from the motherboard was reporting temps around the same as core temp. I immediately assumed a badly calibrated thermal sensor but did not worry about it as a temp sensor that reports closer to core temps is no bad thing. However I run my PWM fans off the CPU header and use FanXpert to control fan speeds. I noticed that the x/y plot for temp/fan speed was always off the plotted graph line. I also noticed the plot was always around where it should be IF the cpu temp was calibrated correctly. Its almost as if the CPU temp sensor is reporting an incorrect temp (around 10 degrees higher than it should be), but still controlling the fans at the speed it would do if the temp was sensed correctly. What do you think? Its not a huge deal, I am just curious more than anything. I attach a screenshot of FanXpert in action. The fan speed test 0-100% runs correctly as per my old board.

Attachments

• pwmcpufan.JPG
    pwmcpufan.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 73
Back