• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with P8H61-M LX3 screen distortion/Ivy Bridge compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Loop

Hello,
I've recently bought a new PC
Basic Specs:

Summary
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
4,00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-M LX3 (LGA1155)
Graphics
Samsung SyncMaster 793s(CRT) (1024x768@85Hz)
Intel HD Graphics
Hard Drives
466GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB ATA Device
Audio
VIA High Definition Audio

I have two issues:

1) Since the first boot, when i was loading Windows, there was some instability on the screen. There can be seen horizontal lines running down it, sometimes it's very subtle, but there are times when it gets worse. I experimented with refresh rates, it's set at 1024x768@85Hz, my monitor maximum. if I get the refresh rate lower the problem worsens too.

I did some troubleshooting:

-Updated graphics driver.
-Tested the monitor on my old PC (old Semprom 32 bits with an AGP card), no issues. Same VGA cable.
-Tested on another CRT monitor, the same thing happens; same monitor on old PC no issues. Same VGA cable.
-Made sure there is nothing close to the monitor or CPU that could be causing interference, CPU and monitor away from each other and no other electric artifact close.
-Latest Bios version.
-All things are connected directly to the wall outlet, no stabilizers or UPS.

The problem now is getting worse, sometimes the lines are more visible, and suddenly big wide lines run down and then stop.

Relating to this i found this post:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/361205-33-asus-p8h61-problem

"Bad quality mother board, i am using integrated graphics ,i can see grains netting waves on screen. I checked 10 boards, 9 having same problem”

But the OP did not give any other information...

2) I am currently running this PC with the aforementioned i3 Ivy Bridge, but looking at ASUS site this CPU is not listed as supported:

http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8H61-M LX3&p=1&s=39

It has the latest Bios version (Version 0518), but none of the bios versions on the list show ivy bridge compatibility added... like on other boards on the ASUS site.

I wonder if this could cause problems...

I need advice on these two issues, maybe i could go back where i bought it and ask them to give me some other motherboard, even if it is more expensive...

Thanks in advance.

Back