• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It is here!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD Ryzen doesn't like really fast stuff. Just find some DDR4 3200 MHz that is on the QVL list for the motherboard. ;)

Yeah, your Ryzen will kill his 10 year old i7. Ryzen is just about as fast as the latest intel, so of course it will obliterate decade old intel...!!

Got LN2? :p

Being serious... this was also well known since first gen ryzen. These things can't really get past their XFR/boost. 4.2 GHz is about it for most on ambient.

Maybe consider reading a couple of reviews on Ryzen to backfill some missing information. This will moving forward a bit easier.

I read lots of reviews none of which pointed out any faults so......Tons of positive lots of hype pomp and marketing aimed at consumers like me. Fancy box's and bright lights lol.

Our review points that out... Anandtech... many others mentioned the offset. Don't read cracker jack box reviews. :)

Our review points that out... Anandtech... many others mentioned the offset. Don't read cracker jack box reviews. :)

Yeah it's not like the marketing department is going to list the short comings of there product. Now that said, AMD is my choice because of price nothing more. I as a consumer purchase from my wallet not a credit card. AMD has always offered up a solid CPU for a great price. I'm not a Fanboy trust me, I would really LOVE to have a New Core i7 but the price was just not there for me, AMD is just cheaper if even buy 10 bucks that is Ten bucks in MY WALLET! get it?
I am not complaining about the offset I was not aware of it and now that I am and know that 100c is the new limit them hell I am all good!

I didn't say to read marketing. In fact, don't read marketing. A decent review should list features and specs, but also clarify their benefits or drawbacks if any.

We know you prefer AMD. You were not being questioned nor attacked about this choice... there is no need to reiterate that point. :)

I'd call this angry and complaining after you knew... :rofl: :p
Well this makes me kinda angry just how and I am to determine exactly hot hot my CPU is then? See it is CRAP like this AMD that makes so MANY of us mad at you!
So what does all this mean really?
DID AMD MAKE ANOTHER Edsel!

I read lots of reviews none of which pointed out any faults so......Tons of positive lots of hype pomp and marketing aimed at consumers like me. Fancy box's and bright lights lol.

This is straight from my review on the frontpage, no hype, pomp or marketing just how it actually worked in the real worls! https://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-1700-cpu-review/

So what did I see in the real world? I can say that neither the Ryzen 7 1700X or the two Ryzen 7 1700s that I have will hit 4.2 GHz at 1.45v. I tried with air cooling and my custom water loop. It wasn’t a temperature limitation that I was hitting. I was a long way from the max temperature of 95 °C which is where these CPU’s will throttle. As you can see below these were max temperatures for a 4.0 GHz overclock on each of the Ryzen 7 CPUs.

tricksons69, core frequency being higher on one CPU than another does not mean it will be faster. There are a number of important factors that determine the performance of a CPU such as number of processing cores, amount of cache, whether or not the CPU has parallel processing functions going on (such as Hyper Threading), more efficient instruction sets and a whole host of other architectual variables. These differences can easily result in a 4.0 ghz CPU mopping the floor with a 5.0 ghz CPU.

Also realize that both AMD and Intel are turning out CPUs these days that are typically binned closer to their max overclocking potential from the factory. The days of huge overclocks are over.

Adding to what trents has just extrapolated on, some cutting edge CPUs are actually more efficient when left in the stock configuration and turbo boost on, versus when overclocked.

This means Intel and AMD have refined CPU production to a point where overclocking could, in theory, be a thing of the past...

Aren't all CPUs more efficient at stock than when overclocked? Not sure what that really means, honestly. :chair:

When you add more cores to the mix with 'regular' overclocking, it does use more voltage, but you are also getting the cores and more performance too.

I'm gonna go with saying good things about the Ryzen 1700. With Cinebench scores of 1600+ it doesn't just kill 10 year old chips, it mops the floor with my OC'd Skylake (1056).

Efficient is perhaps not the right word, more like "have more processing power" when left in stock form. I.E. to quote trents again:

typically binned closer to their max overclocking potential from the factory

Please define efficient:shrug:
Isn't ghz=ghz? Higher means faster, unless something else begins to turtleneck. Perhaps "more efficient" means more work per said vcore? For example, i7 920 was typically 1.2vcore at default 2.67ghz, but it could run 3.67ghz at the same voltage, that would probably be regarded to as:salute: more efficient when overclocked, right?
Taco needs enlightenment. Proceed with caution.

ED, I thought you had my back, man? Aren't we both intel guys?

TL DR
@work.(I'll read today when home)

I'm afraid you may be right, Mr.Chaser.:(
Wheres my sig? Hmm.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Test

Efficient is perhaps not the right word, more like "have more processing power" when left in stock form. I.E. to quote trents again:
Those are two completely different things...efficiency at idle vs overclocked versus overclocking headroom.

There will always be some headroom leftover for power thresholds and stability sake.... hut it sure isnt what it used to be. It really is more so a problem of heat mitigation though than anything.

Anyway, a bit OT here.... was just wondering what that meant. :)

Here's a little snip from the article and this really speaks to the heart of the matter. Efficency, in a word, sums up the processors of tomorrow. :)

It's no longer going to be possible for companies to leave clock-speed margins on the table through imprecise or conservative characterization and binning practices—margins that give casual overclockers reason to tweak to begin with. Tomorrow's chips are going to get smarter and smarter about their own capabilities and exploit the vast majority of their potential through awareness of their own electrical and thermal limits, too.

Yep, nothing new really. Overclocking margins have been getting smaller for generations now, but there will always been some headroom and ways to improve it.. :)

The biggest issue for today in pushing clocks (at least on Intel) is heat mitigation. We see plenty of CPUs at 5 GHz with voltage headroom using all c/t but keeping temps under control, especially with stress tests, has proven more difficult over time for many reasons.

Anyway, again, this is a bit OT.. I was just looking for clarity on the original statement. Now back to trickson's new Ryzen CPU! :)

Last edited:
LOL okay I see it Earthdog, yeah that came off a bit angry but not meant that way more of a joke haha.

You keep talking about "negatives"? If there were so many negatives with Ryzen, even first generation than why did Intel go into full panic mode and up their core counts after a decade of stagnancy? Why do Ryzen cpu's have so much mind share and have sold so briskly?

I have 2 new Ryzen CPU's and LOVE them BOTH!
Absolute fantastic chips for the money!
And To be absolutely honest I love and still use my FX 8300 with crossfire! Another absolutely awesome CPU.
I can also say this the FX8300 system boots up in in just under 25 seconds which is faster than the 30 seconds to 35 seconds I am getting as a boot time on the Ryzen systems. Just an observation not a point of fact that one is the fastest over the other.

I have spent less money on each of my now 4 computer systems than at any time in my past building systems. (aside from video cards).
Each CPU has been less than $150.00 US Dollars NOT one was over that! You just can not beat AMD for price / Performance! It is hands down the best choice for me.
Also not one of the sweet MB I have was over $150.00 bucks as well. I even paid like 25 bucks for the FX MB! The MSI X470 was $146.00 BUCKS!!! Intel doesn't have a offering like that! NOT one I could find at the time. I got EVERYTHING UN OPEN NEW IN BOX!

I do have a Quad core Intel computer as well and it is still going strong and is used daily!

Trickson, Sir, when does countdown start for that startup? Is it after bios screen disappears?

Back