• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's time.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Time to watercool the beast.

Looking for solid recommendations of

1) r9 290 water cooling block (does the 290x one fit exactly?)
2) 8320/sabertooth cooling block
3) does sabertooth northbridge cooling exist?
4) pump, reservoir and rad (I'd prefer to stick with a single, large radiator)

Budget is whatever; however, I am a HUGE proponent of cost effectiveness. Inputs welcome.

Oh love that cpu block.

Is there a cheaper, viable option for gpu block? 160$ seems a bit steep for that kinda thing.

You can get down to around $120, but the Swiftech does include a backplate.
The block I had for my 780 Classy was the Komodo that's custom made for EVGA. The Komodo for your GPU will definitely be a top-notch piece.

There are some good options from EK and XSPC as well.
Is yours a reference unit?

Oh love that cpu block.

Is there a cheaper, viable option for gpu block? 160$ seems a bit steep for that kinda thing.

I love that block as well.

Have a look at the EK's cooling configurator or check with XPSC. GPU full WBs are usually pricey.

One thing you forgot to add was what case this was going into as your Reservoir and Radiators can always change to better fit said case.

Does that block cool the VRM sections as well? The accelero cooler is nice, but leaves a bit to be desired on the vrm cooling (limiting my overclock badly). GPU is xfx r9 290, and yes I am pretty sure its a reference design.

I love that block as well.

Have a look at the EK's cooling configurator or check with XPSC. GPU full WBs are usually pricey.

One thing you forgot to add was what case this was going into as your Reservoir and Radiators can always change to better fit said case.

Haha, not quite a "case". I have unlimited room essentially.

20150120_214901_resized_zps21bac013.jpg

I don't believe there is anything specifically made for the Sabertooth just the VHV and CHVz and both are very hard to find now and possibly discontinued if what I read on another form is true. Speaking from experience, I have my VRM water cooled I can not prove either way it has helped me OC higher. I can say that it has helped my socket temps greatly to the point that my socket temp is actually cooler then my core temp when I really push my OC on my FX 8370.

Cpu block ordered.

Debating between rigid or soft tubing still. If I go rigid I'm gonna get another 290 so I won't need to upgrade for a long time. So in the interim I'm gonna hold off on gpu block.

I have never seen a need of cooling a 990x board, but heatkiller made one for the asus crosshair, we all seem to have found that proper airflow is all that is needed.
the heat killers units i saw looked real good installed while all the universal units all looked a bit hokey installed on all that high end stuff, kind of like steel wheels on an esclade.

Back