• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

James Kim finally found dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdrake90

For those of you who have been following this story... this is a huge blow... cnet.com is a major technology resource center and James Kim is one of their best editors... they final found him (see the wikipedia link for a full story) dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_kim

This is so sad... he was a great guy... really funny and a pillar of the CNET editor community.

Jdrake90

Please, let's not echo the crap on digg and reddit (regarding Mr. Kim's decision to leave the car).

Heartbreaking story, really. If you're interested in making a donation to Kim's widow and children, head to:

http://www.jamesandkati.com/

It's a damn shame. He was not trained in survival, because leaving his family and the shelter of his car in that wilderness was a big mistake.

EDIT: His dad is a billionaire.

Last edited:
It could have just as easily turned out the other way, he walks to safety but his family doesn't make it. People saying that it's always a mistake to leave don't consider a persons experience or ability, It's easy to say now he should have never left but I disagree with the advice it's a rule everyone should follow. This is how I see it - He stayed with them for a week before going for help, at that point it must must have been an extremely difficult decision and in my mind he is nothing short of a hero, especially knowing that he wasn't the most skilled outdoorsman. He did it for his family, and unfortunately he died for his family.

I would have thought (being a Tech/Hardware type guy) he would have had some sort of GPS unit on him. That could have made a significant difference IMO. Hindsight is 20/20.

:cool:

Randyman... said:
I would have thought (being a Tech/Hardware type guy) he would have had some sort of GPS unit on him. That could have made a significant difference IMO. Hindsight is 20/20.

:cool:

That crossed my mind to. Mother nature can be wicked..... Who knows the snow storm may have blocked the GPS from working.....

Back