• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a FX-4100 and it doesn't seem to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pat is Mad

Registered
So I got a Bulldozer with a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3.CPUID only sees one core over 4 cpu's and I have no stability.Loaded Windows 7 5 times trying to get it right.Did I just get a bad combo?IE,Firefox and exploer would stop running at random.Is this normal or is there a fix.I had to re-install my old Q8200 to get back up and running and was thinking I may need to exchange it at Fry's.Any advice for an AMD noob?

Most of the time you need to reinstall you're OS if you have changed the mobo and CPU, you may get away with it if you are lucky, but it doesn't look like you have been lucky lol

Most of the time you need to reinstall you're OS if you have changed the mobo and CPU, you may get away with it if you are lucky, but it doesn't look like you have been lucky lol

Sounds like he did, five times even.

Do you have the latest bios installed on the board? And also make sure you have the latest chipset drivers.

Is everything in the bios set to default settings? To make sure, switch the PSU off and jumper the cmos. Make sure you put the jumper back into default position before switching power back on.

You know, Keny, you could be right. How is he using "loaded"? It's a loaded term, hee, hee!

I tried to install 7 several times.I kinda bought the setup in the heat of the moment.Been thinking maybe swapping the board for an Asus M5A97.Newegg had lots of good reviews for it.The Gigabyte seems to have a rep for giving up the ghost too soon.May swap them on lunch tomorrow.Overall should I have the program issues with the Bulldozer?Intel just costs way to much to upgrade so I really wanted to give AMD a try.Should I exchange both while I am there in case I got a bad CPU?

I will make sure the bios and drivers are all updated as well.I really just want to get more ram and ddr3 is sooooo cheap to do.Just really tired of this old c2q

I think once you update the mobo bios it should all run correctly, if not then you are well within you're rights to exchange it, personally I don't mind gigabyte boards, there's bad apples in every batch and I think with almost all tech, it's the luck of the draw as to which one you get.

I'm throwing my hat in for the bios as well. I have the UD3 version, but our mobos are more or less the same. The bios revisions update the board to accept newer CPUs, and I'm willing to bet the FX series is what they are updating for.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3908#bios

Install the newest non-beta bios, then report back. If you installed gigabytes software, you can go to start==>gigabyte==>@bios==>update bios from gigabyte server.

The Asus has heatsinks over the caps and the Gigabyte doesn't.Is this really gonna hurt my ability to oc the chip?It is the ultimate goal after all.I think 4.3 to 4.5 would be fun

The Asus has heatsinks over the caps and the Gigabyte doesn't.Is this really gonna hurt my ability to oc the chip?It is the ultimate goal after all.I think 4.3 to 4.5 would be fun

Probably not. If you are worried about that, I would recommend getting the UD3 version of that board. I love it, and it overclocks very nicely. But, first thing is first, what bios are you running?

The lack of heatsinks on the mosfets is a bit concerning if you are planing on going balls out and ramping up the vcore, I can't understand why they keep bringing out boards with no sinks on the mosfets, I mean how much would a manufacturer be able to buy them for, I'm guessing less than a couple of bucks, c'mon gigabyte sort it out !

Heatsinks on the mosfets is very important. Having them on the VRMs is next and having them on the caps is great but not essential, especially as most manufacturers seem to be going with solid caps instead of oil-filled caps on all but their low end products.

^ I had to add one on my ga-790-xt mosfets in order to go beyond 4GHz/1.475v.

I have the board packed up so I don't know what bios is on it.Should I go with the Asus just for the HS?I really did like the layout of the Gigabyte and it was running in the 20's to low 30's at 4.2.

I think the heat sinks are more important than the layout if you are overclocking.

I will go with the Asus then as I hit a brick wall on the first overclock I did and I have ben really wanting to stretch out.G31 was not the chip to do that with.But you live and learn.What I wouldn't give to have a good P45 board laying around to toy with

Trents,
I noticed you are using the same board I am talking about.Am I right in assuming it is working well for you?

Back