• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just so you guys know, NewEgg LIES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rlemieux said:
The onlything I dont like about them is shipping. Its alright if you buy one thing, but they just add shipping to shipping. So basically buying 10 things together is just like placing 10 seperate orders. That why I dont buy in bulk from them.

Actually, no they don't. After a certain ammount, the shipping goes down. Try it with some fans. Put in 2 fans, you'll see shipping is full for both fans. Then try 3. It goes down a bit. Then 4, etc. The more you buy, the less shipping you pay. If you make a HUGE bulk order, you're only going to pay $20-$30US for everything to be shipped. That's certainly alot less than $6 for every one of 20 items.

Ok here is the low down on the shipping. After a certain point they start reducing shipping, but its still outrageous. I put a 80mm $4.00 fan in my basket and added one each time to see shipping differences. Here is what happened

1 - 5.00
2 - 10.00
3 - 15.00
4 - 20.00
5 - 25.00
6 - 28.92(started discounting)
7 - 31.42
8 - 33.48
9 - 35.06
10 - 36.64
20 - 57.16
50 - 120.60

Now lets say each fan weighs 6oz. Lets see what fed excharges form California to my house.

1lb - 4.00
2lb - 4.50
3lb - 4.75
4lb - 5.00
5lb - 5.30
10lb - 6.75
20lb - 16.40
50lb - 30.00

Lets see what Sidewinder would charge me in shipping for 50 80mm fans.

50 - 22.80

Oh wow, thats so much better. So at Newegg for 50ea $4.00 fans I end up paying $320.60 and at Sidewinder for 50ea $3.99 fans I end up paying $222.30. Almost $100.00 more.

KnownKiller said:

Oh and Mr.Cornell, did Newegg let you replace them with the better CTL stick?? Thats the million dollar question.

I've RMA'ed the memory back to them, and I'm awaiting their reply. The guy at the post office said the package should be back to NewEgg by Monday, so I'll report back then with what they have to say.

To be completely fair, I've bought nearly $1,000 worth of stuff from NewEgg and this is the first problem problem I've ever had with them. But, man, it's a doozy. ;)

For those curious, as of 3:21 PM PST on Sunday, June 23, 2002, NewEgg's site STILL SAYS that they are shipping the CTL memory modules. Quite frankly, it's been long enough now that I find it hard to believe that it's an honest error on their part, especially since I've heard that NewEgg has a really good reputation for making sure what it says on their site is what it really is. It looks to me like a blatant bait-and-switch, especially since NewEgg is charging some $40 more than other sites who list the proper DTL module model number. I'd almost be annoyed enough to sue, except that it's only $40 and I waste way more money than that on a lawsuit. :argue: :mad:

Okay, well there's a simple solution. Just don't buy ONLY fans from Newegg. =)

I got a mobo, CPU, RAM, PSU, HSF, HDD, and vidcard for a friend, and the shipping was $23 something. That's a heap of stuff that weighs a ton (particularly the HSF and PSU) at a reasonable price.

I just wanted to show you that not all products were like that. I order from them alot. I just watch the shipping.

I was under the impression that the newer D Samsung was replacing the better c chips because they are moving the chips that run at 200fsb (DDR400) which was most if not all of the "C" chips, to the PC3200 product production (in other words binning) that should be released sometime between now and August. If you can, it would be better to hold off until DDR400 true Samsung hits the streets, because even Corsair or Mushkin have now stated that the most recent batches of their overclocked Samung chips are not hitting the 200fsb marks too easily. This makes alot of sense if you think about it. How are they going to sell a new product (PC3200) if everyone knows that there existing "C" product (PC2700) runs at the same DDR400 speed anyway?

ctl to dtl

i amm currently having the same problem...order ctl and they shipped dtl...and now they have changed the part number on their website...it now reads c/dtl....how funny is that? will try to get rma and exchange for xms pc3000.:mad:

Yeah, confirmed that NewEgg now lists the memory as C/DTL. I emailed them and asked them to make sure that my RMA is a CTL module they send back to me. I hope they send me a CTL module...

I personally love Newegg, besides them Multiwave is the only other company that I use for Hardware. As for memory I only use Corsair XMS or Mushkin.

Secondly, why the hell SHOULD they ship to Canada? It's an American company, they ship to America. Any company in America that ships to Canada is just a bonus. Newegg has no obligation to ship to Canada

Well said Uber~PhLuBB.

ctl memory

just got a reply back from newegg...here it is "Im sorry, samsung doesnt specifiy when they sell us this memory, we can't request special part numbers, We have since changed out ad to indicate this, please return the memory for a refund, Please call us for an RMA". i will exchange it for the corsair xms pc3000.

DOH!

NewEgg emailed me back and told me that they are indeed out of stock, and they are crediting me the full value of the memory I ordered.

So now I'm searching desperately for a memory that can do DDR400 like the Samsung CTL's could. :(

Hell yeah theres something fishy going on.... ]

I contacted freakin newegg yesterday and told them about it and they said that they would change it asap... Guess not... They rarther be the only one selling samsung original and not tell everyone that the newest batch DTL that they are selling SUCKS!!

Wierd that they changed it with the 512 and not the 256 since everyone is getting DTL with the 265 as well and even i got 2 sticks of it so... Its going back.

I'm really ****ed about it cause eveyone is telling everyone to buy the crap from newegg when its junk... Hell i even threw up a review of it for the samsung there and ofcourse they didnt post it... Now i see a new post that totaly sounds like it was an newegg employee posted it...

Its bull****!

Watch the language

Thelemac

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect your losing your cool when your talking to Newegg, but Newegg is one of the best vendors around.

Last week I was helping a member from Australia get a Video card he couldnt get over there. Newegg delivered it fast except that the Fedex delivery guy was an idiot and delivered the package to someone else or left it at my door. (Not really sure what happened)

Anyway Newegg refunded my money the next day and I bought the Video card locally.(Albeit for a little more money, but I was in a rush as I was going on vacation)

Anyway Newegg really is one of the best vendors on the net and they always take care of thier customers. I find it hard to believe they are giving you a hard time.

I'll tell you something else, I often help our members get RMA's and whatnot when they have a problem with a vendor.

I have never had to help any members with anything bought or RMA-ed from Newegg.....Why? Newegg has great support.

I know there the best... Hell i've spent plenty of money with them. havent bought from anywhere else since.. unless they dont carry something like water cooling parts. I havent had a bad experiance with them till this one.

They wont hand pick the part cause its the same part number with either CTL or DTL... Newegg needs to freakin seperate the 2 and call the CTL one the overclockers dream stick so people can spend a few bucks more and get what they want..

i'm not about to continuiously return ship the sticks cause there not the CTL version.. Plus i'm sure the CTL aint gona be there long since most likely Samsung aint gona be making them any longer since theres a newer version DTL out..

Just buy something else for now.. Maybe later on they will have a newer version out ETL? hehe that will be the champ once more.

Ya now... Theres always a first and this crap is bothering me that they havn't bothered to change it to DTL/CTL like the 512 stick.. I mean i told them about it 2 days ago and they said they would change it ASAP but why havn't they changed it yet??????

Samsung at newegg

It makes me sik when i still see people telling others that it looks safe to buy the 256 stick since its labled with teh model number of CTL when its not!

alright, i thought id interject something into here...

CTL and DTL are the actual memory chips. there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY newegg can go through their entire stock of memory, and separate the CTL chips from the DTL sticks.
thats like asking them to sort through their thousands of Athlon XP's in stock into every different stepping.

its just a fact of life that sometines RAM o/c's like crazy, than the next batch sucks (look at CPU's)

Newegg can be in no way held responsible fpr how well your RAM o/c's, and we are all DAMN LUCKY that they will issue full RMA's and such because the ram wont o/c well. Newegg will even sometimes RMA CPU's if they dont o/c as expected.

i have spent over 4k with Newegg in the last 6 months, and had 1 mess up on their part ad 1 RMA. they promptly handled their mess up at no cost to me except the gas to frive to the post office. they Emailed me a UPS reciept and barcode to be printed, and offered to have a pick up (which i said wasnt neccesary:)).

meanwhile i bought my original 8KHA+ around 4 months ago from Mwave.com, and i havent gotten a refund for that dead board yet.
after 4 months. they keep telling me to call accounting, but noone ever picks up. the 1st time they sent me another 8KHA+, even after i specified that i just bought one from newegg instead because they dont play games with my money.

if anything ever happened to newegg id cry:cry:
a few bucks more for shipping is well worth knowing that the store u are buying from actually gives a damn about your business, and goes out of their way to keep u happy
[end newegg praise]

No there not differenet memory chips... Its the damn memory model number. So it should be pretty easy since there different.

MC368L3223DTL-CB3 or MC368L3223CTL-CB3 Thats the model numbers.. The only thing is that newegg is going off the part number of 20-147-101 Whiihc is there argument.. Its the same 256 stick of samsung 2700..

Now ya know when theres the same motherboard but newer revision there model number will be different.. So wheres the difference here? They should beable to maket them the same way if they want sales. They have to know with all the people calling them about the CTL that they must be what everyone wants and they must be better .. I'm sorry but its getting pretty hard to think other wize then the fact that they dont want to discorage buyers with the DTL model numbers..

They said they would change them to reflect what they have but they still haven't and i know i'm not the first one to complain to them about it.

P.S. I known of a web shop that labled there CPUs with different steppings and unlocked or locked.. So it can happen if they choose. I think i even seen at newegg cpus that where labled with different steppings.

Back