• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just When I Thought I Was Safe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArcticDrop

Registered
Hello, overclockers Forum

I'm Gyle :)

Yesterday I finally got all my parts in for my first build in a few years. Doing a whole bunch of research, and finding a **** ton of deals
leads me to this.

Asus 970 Gaming Aura Mobo
AMD 8350
Corsair H105
Thermaltake Silencer f31
750w Corsair Psu
MSI GTX 960 2gb
4gb Crucial DDr3 Ram (Untili go to microcenter today to switch for 8gb of kingston)
2 x 250gb Kingston SSDs
Windows 10

Last night I built it in an hour or 2, and then had to leave because I had a performance.

Today, Everything is running fine, and snappy. My only problem is that randomly the computer will freeze and not come back, requiring a reboot.

If anyone knows a quick fix, or go to reason for this please let me know!

Also, if someone could tell me some go-to stress testing software for my rig?

Notes / Brainthings
H105 Push / pull setup is LOUD AF even in my padded *** case.
Does my motherboard come with Asus's automatic fan configuration? Cant find it in the bios.
Best way to Overclock my 960?
How about the 8350?

Stresstesting : Prime95 (Blend setting for both CPU and RAM, Small FFTs for CPU only.) for CPU and RAM, Heaven benchmark or 3DMark11 for GPU.

Have you installed all drivers? Try downgrading to a older version for your GPU.

Are all the temps all right? Use HWMonitor to check your GPUs and CPUs temps.

Overclock the 960 with MSI afterburner or EVGA precision, Increase Core clock by 10MHz everytime and run Heaven benchmark for a few mins, Then if you have no artifacts or freezing or bluescreens ect. continue increasing by 10. After you reach your core clock limit do the same to the memory clock.
CPU overclock in BIOS. increase by 50MHz till unstable, Watch temps, Increase voltage once its unstable and make sure its stable, Stresstest in P95 (Small FFTs) for 20 mins each time you increase the speed, Kinda like GPU overclocking but be more careful and AMD loves to heat up more than Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs.

Report back :) Oh and solve your freezing problem first before Overclocking.

Last edited:
I wouldn't swap the Crucial RAM for Kingston. Kingston and FX chips commonly have issues, with Corsair DDR3/FX combos a close second place for problems. If you want to try different RAM G. Skill is a safe bet.

Stresstesting : Prime95 (Blend setting for both CPU and RAM, Small FFTs for CPU only.) for CPU and RAM, Heaven benchmark or 3DMark11 for GPU.

Have you installed all drivers? Try downgrading to a older version for your GPU.

Are all the temps all right? Use HWMonitor to check your GPUs and CPUs temps.

Overclock the 960 with MSI afterburner or EVGA precision, Increase Core clock by 10MHz everytime and run Heaven benchmark for a few mins, Then if you have no artifacts or freezing or bluescreens ect. continue increasing by 10. After you reach your core clock limit do the same to the memory clock.
CPU overclock in BIOS. increase by 50MHz till unstable, Watch temps, Increase voltage once its unstable and make sure its stable, Stresstest in P95 (Small FFTs) for 20 mins each time you increase the speed, Kinda like GPU overclocking but be more careful and AMD loves to heat up more than Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs.

Report back :) Oh and solve your freezing problem first before Overclocking.

THANK YOU. Im running through this list and will come back with results!

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't swap the Crucial RAM for Kingston. Kingston and FX chips commonly have issues, with Corsair DDR3/FX combos a close second place for problems. If you want to try different RAM G. Skill is a safe bet.

I wish i got to read this before i got to the store....
oh well, if i get issues i know what the problem is and i'll go back :\

So i've installed all of the drivers,

Stress tested graphics and processor.

Temps stable, all that.

After all this, IT FREEZES AGAIN.

I don't know where to go from here.

Im about to go through the whole re install process.

The strange thing is, everything is fast until it just stops.

No heat up, no increase in cpu usage.

cpu temp : 32c
Mobo : 26c

8 core FX chips can be power hungry. Manufacturers have "certified" motherboards (new BIOS) in the past for FX chips that really weren't up to the task. We have a review of that mobo here http://www.overclockers.com/asus-970-pro-gaming-aura-motherboard-review/

update: After a quick skim of the OC review, the OP's board looks to be up to the task. It handled a FX 9370 with no issues, so I'm going to backpedal on that point.

Alright.
Flashed BIOS

Checked all drivers made sure all clocks were stock.

No freeze for 2 hours.

Download some games start to run Mirrors Edge.

Computer Freezes, not the game.

I'm gonna go ahead and reinstall the graphics driver, but i really don't know what it could be from that point.

My psu is 750 W, so i didn't think it would give me issues. Could it be causing this?

Whats the temp?
Not the idle temp either, temp at load.
Prime95 at stock settings.

GPU temp also please.

Running memtest atm, but ill get back with the prime 95 temps in a min!

Also quick observation.

There was just an instance where i restarted the pc,

and as i opened up One drive to disable its automatic start, the pc froze like before.

This leads me to believe that this isnt a load problem.

8 power phase vrm section, but only claiming 125w tdp support. Is this the board being modest? It looks pretty good spec wise other than that tidbit. Looks on par with the fatal1ty boards tbh.

Assuming youre using a cx750m, which is also fine. I ran an overclocked r9 290x and an 8320 @ 5ghz on that same psu.

All things considered, Im looking very strongly at the ram..... 1866mhz of gskill ram is probably your sweet spot.

edit: check your windows logs, that will be our best help. It's pretty good about recording errors, even if you arent getting a BSOD. Post your findings here.

Running memtest atm, but ill get back with the prime 95 temps in a min!

Also quick observation.

There was just an instance where i restarted the pc,

and as i opened up One drive to disable its automatic start, the pc froze like before.

This leads me to believe that this isnt a load problem.

You don't really need a load to induce a freeze.
Take my 1090t. Core #5 is weak so 1.57 Vcore was not enough it would randomly BSOD at night, browsing, playing music etc. I ran Prime95 and discovered that Core #5 was throwing WHEA errors in Event Viewer which means the core is unstable.

Disabling the core or bumping up the Vcore a bit resolved the whole BSOD issue.

+1 to bob's suggestion. Check Event Viewer's system logs for any clues.

After a full day of troubleshooting I FINALLY GOT IT :)

Solution: Uninstalling everything, installing Windows onto a different SSD.

Now im not exactly sure what the problem is. But it looks like Windows installed partly on 2 Drives.

The freeze up occured when Windows tried to reach one of my SSDs.
Windows had created 6 new partitions on one of them for some reason?!?!

So a clean sweep, and fresh install has lead to smooth sailing!

Actually, my pc is performing better than expected. Played Battlefield 1 on Ultra 1080p at like 80-130 fps all night :)

Now to Overclock, Thanks everybody for all the help. You guys played a major part in me not sending back all my parts!

After a full day of troubleshooting I FINALLY GOT IT :)

Solution: Uninstalling everything, installing Windows onto a different SSD.

Now im not exactly sure what the problem is. But it looks like Windows installed partly on 2 Drives.

The freeze up occured when Windows tried to reach one of my SSDs.
Windows had created 6 new partitions on one of them for some reason?!?!

So a clean sweep, and fresh install has lead to smooth sailing!

Actually, my pc is performing better than expected. Played Battlefield 1 on Ultra 1080p at like 80-130 fps all night :)

Now to Overclock, Thanks everybody for all the help. You guys played a major part in me not sending back all my parts!

Glad you sorted it out :)

Yes, you should always disconnect all other drives except the system drive when installing Windows.

The title for this thread is way too fitting.

The freezes came back.

40c Max Processor Temp
58c Max GPU Temp

There were no freezes for almost a full day, now I cant go 10 minutes without one.

Very Confused......

Changing Ram slots and launching in safe mode now. Only thing i haven't done.

The title for this thread is way too fitting.

The freezes came back.

40c Max Processor Temp
58c Max GPU Temp

There were no freezes for almost a full day, now I cant go 10 minutes without one.

Very Confused......

Changing Ram slots and launching in safe mode now. Only thing i haven't done.

Put only 1 RAM stick, Everytime a freeze accurea change a slot.

Back