• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KAPOW!!! The sound of $150 going down the toilet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got my Corsair750 in, whisper quiet and runs great (cool too). No damage to my componants also which is a huge plus.
I'll have pics up in a few hour's (have to go to work)

yea well here if your PSU isnt plated in gold its not any good.

i have a 600w stealth x and its fine, also got it on sale for $60.

i've been able to pull more than 600 out of it aswell

I have the OCZ. I picked it up at the time everyone was yelling to get the OCZ. Now it suddenly ranks with Raidmax?

Well, when Corsair and Antec (and one or two others I forget the names of) start putting out units that get near-perfect reviews at JonnyGuru, everybody else gets relegated to the mediocre pile :)

Here is what I suggest, pick one:

1) Corsair
2) Corsair
3) Corsair

the corsair 650 will do you well. you could probably squeak by with the 520w model tbh but better off with the 650.
Depending on the amount of hardware he has on his rig, I'd suggest the TX650 or above.
The thing is, the TX650W has a peak efficiency of 84.2% @ 380W. 52A @ 12V. Input current 10A
The HX520W has a peak efficiency of 80% @ 318W, 18A @ 12V. Input current 9A(not so great since some newer graphics cards like 25Amperes input.

I think the 550VX is what should be purchased if only looking to 550ish Watts.
It rates; peak efficiency of 80% @ 324W, 41Amperes @ 12Volts. 9Amperes Input @ 110V.

However the TX650 cost only $100, while the 550VX cost $110.!?

The HX520W has a peak efficiency of 80% @ 318W, 18A @ 12V. Input current 9A(not so great since some newer graphics cards like 25Amperes input.
No, it doesn't. It has 3x 18amp 12v rails. Total of 54 amps.

I have the OCZ. I picked it up at the time everyone was yelling to get the OCZ. Now it suddenly ranks with Raidmax?

ocz's are good they are just to loud for my tastes.... i can turn all the fans off and put my ear next to my case and still not hear my psu fan... i cant say the same for ocz and bfg lol...

you know what they say once you go corsair you cant go back :p

Depending on the amount of hardware he has on his rig, I'd suggest the TX650 or above.
The thing is, the TX650W has a peak efficiency of 84.2% @ 380W. 52A @ 12V. Input current 10A

Thideras already corrected that random 9A that you pulled out of nowhere...
Your efficiency numbers also seem to be pulled out of nowhere. JonnyGuru shows 82% at ~400W on the HX520, and 85% on the TX750 (TX650 isn't reviewed) at ~500W.

Corsair's own efficiency charts show similar numbers between both units.
hx520w_efficiency.jpg
tx650w_efficiency.jpg

No, it doesn't. It has 3x 18amp 12v rails. Total of 54 amps.

Aren't they "fake" rails, anyway? I thought every cable was drawing from the combined total of 54A.

Last edited:
The Corsairs are quiet, though the Corsair HX series are their quietest PSU's. They're actually Seasonics though for some reason or another its cheaper to buy a Corsair branded Seasonic than a Seasonic branded one. Go figure. :shrug:

Last edited:
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that underutilizing your PSU tends to reduce its efficiency...... Mind you, that has nothing to do with quietness....

I just find it hard to imagine is all. I tend to take a fairly moderate approach to most things as such I've never heard a 1000W PSU. Last time a read a review was for a 1000W Tagan or something which was noisy as.

No one recommending a Seasonic? Seasonic makes incredible PSUs, and most are very quiet. Though it does seem they're a little pricier. Do you really need 750w? Is that what the GTX275's demand?

No one recommending a Seasonic? Seasonic makes incredible PSUs, and most are very quiet. Though it does seem they're a little pricier. Do you really need 750w? Is that what the GTX275's demand?

Dude, the Corsair HX series ARE Seasonics. Well, at least up to the 850W models, don't know about the models above that.

Back