• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep 2 loops or go for 3.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabriel Noraa

Registered
I please need some advise.
I will explain first what I'm watercooling right now and them what I'm plannig to do.

I'm cooling 2 AMD opterons 244CG' (Single core) and a NV7800GT my loop (loops) go like this:

RES>MCP600>PA160>STORM(CPU1)
...............................................\
.................................................Y(SPLITTER)>MCW60>RES
................................................/
RES>MCS600>PA160>STORM(CPU2)

I'm upgrading my GPU to a NV7950GX2 and I'm definitely going to watercool the chipset. The Asus K8N-DL has a extremely noisy NF4 cooler and the thick 7950is going to cover it, so I'm building a new loop.
GPU/CHI loop:

RES>DDC+(MODDED TOP)>BIXII>DD-GX2>CHIPSET BLOCK>RES

I already have made up my mind about this loop and have most of the components. Where I need some help to decide what to do is with the CPUs. I have already 2x 265 Opterons (dual cores) so there is going to be 4 cores to cool in the CPUs loop. If I keep the STORM blocks I will still need the 2 pumps so I will have 3 loops. My question is:

Option 1. Shall I keep the STORMs and have 3 loops.

Option 2. Sell the STORMS, purchase APOGEE waterblocks that are rated much less restrictive and run just 1 series loop like this:

RES>DDC+(MODDED TOP)>PA160(1)>PA160(2)>APOGEE(1)>APOGEE(2)>RES

It is getting harder to make up my mind this time. If you can drop some advise I will appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

In looking over your situation, it seems to me to be a judgment call and what kind of money you have to work with. You are going to have to have one monster case to put all of this stuff into either way. It really is a toss-up. A DDC with modded top should be able to push through two storm blocks, and it would be hard justifying going from storms to Apogees. If you want separate loops, I believe I would take the CPUs and leave on the Storm blocks and just run them in series in one loop with the DDC and top, and then build the second loop for the GPU and chipset with another DDC and top, or one MCP600 if you want to keep that. If I had the money, I also would probably take one of the PA160s and use it for the GPU loop, and just get a PA120.2 or better yet a 120.3 for the CPU loop to eliminate having to use 2 rads for that loop. Using one rad for the CPU loop and one rad for the GPU loop would make tubing routing simpler. Also note that to have two truly separate loops you would need two separate rads or use t-lines to completely isolate one from another.

You also could just run one big loop in series keeping the Storms with two DDCs and tops and a PA120.3. You would likely see little difference in temps and it would make things even easier. Personally, this is probably what I would do.

ohh, heck.

just combine all the loops and run a single one in series.

as long as you can dissapate the heat at the radiator effectively, theres no need for any of that.

yes, the pressures will become higher (hoseclamps become a must, trust me, just do it.) but as long as cooled water enteres and hot water leaves, your job is done.

if the cooled water isnt cool enough then yes, your acceptable temperature gradient might end before the last block.

this is negated by sizing your radiator (s) to handle the hottest day of the year (ambient temperatures) at the fullest load you are able to muster, plus 25% for a pump failure or a dirty loop or an upgrade. including the heat load from the pumps in your figures. my theory anyway.

and you can do all the pumps and tubing and blocks you want, but they dont get rid of the heat, they just pass it along and get it out of the system to: the radiator.
which is the object that "gets rid of the heat"

its a cooling system. think about it. all the tubing and pumps and blocks are only there to serve heat to the -radiator- which does the cooling.

as long as you can get rid of the heat, nothing else matters.

...one of these days ill do a writeup/rant about how everyones radiator is way too small...

I would sell one PA160 and get a PA120.3 and do this:

res>DDC2(or iwaki if you would be willing to do that)>PA120.3>storm>storm>res

then another loop

res>MCP600>PA160>MCW60>MCW60>MCW30>res

One really big, long loop with dual D5's and dual PA/HE/BIP/BIX/GT III's would be awsome, two loops is a little too messy and only creates more opportunities for accidents, damage and leaks.

natewildes said:
One really big, long loop with dual D5's and dual PA/HE/BIP/BIX/GT III's would be awsome, two loops is a little too messy and only creates more opportunities for accidents, damage and leaks.

One PA120.3 will handle this all just fine. Using two would probably not decrease temps at all, and is excessive.

Thanks

First thing, thanks to everyone for your posts.

I know that so many loops are quite messy, my last 3 computers have been dual cpu sockets and I always tend to make independent loops for the cpu's. I will try to post pictures of my last rigs in a couple of days time.

I'm not willing to spend money in new parts. I already have 2 DDC+ with alphacool tops that were going to be mounted in another rig but my MCP600 are already retiring age, and the DDC's are going to be good replacements, and the BIXII it's been laying aroung for some time already. I will try different configs, but I don't see two STORMS in series doing a good job. STORMS are very pressure sensitive blocks and I'm sure the second one in a series it's going to get little pressure advantage, anyway I will try. If not I will sell them second hand and buy two APOGEES or cheaper Swiftech 6002s. I will let you know what happens.

Back