• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keeps crashing...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Perhaps the issue is not hardware related?

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, made a serious design flaw in the Windows install process. When you "format" c: during the install, Windows doesn't "format" anything, it simply removes the file location directory (e.g. File Allocation Tables).

To add, during the install process in Windows Kernel v6.0+, it will take a quick look at the drive to see if any core files exist and use those.

That creates serious problems when core files become corrupt (as you mentioned the update process to be symptomatic).

The best cure is to use a bootable program like DBAN (Security wipe software) and run a Quick Wipe (1 pass, all bits to 0).

Windows will then truly install a fresh copy.

Solved many, many odd issues I've seen at work that caused Windows to repetitively fail.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I am not sure if it is Windows Update or not; I am simply disabling it for now to rule it out.

Good to know about the kernel. Pretty pathetic if you ask me basically rendering a "clean install" worthless, or at least potentially.

If I end up hanging again I will have DBAN at the ready and see if that helps.

What is the best program to test a HDD?

Thanks for the info!

Best way (IMHO) to test the drive is through the BIOS if the drive supports SMART. You can perform quick and thorough testing of the drive (hardware, lower level testing).

Then double check the more logical parts with a "chkdsk /f /r" through Windows command prompt (will restart and take some time). Bad sectors will be repaired or marked and not used.

If there were repairs/bad sectors, you can run "sfc /scannow" to double check the Kernel/System files for integrity.

It really does sound like a drive issue. since there have already been sectors reallocated, there may be more or an actual bad spot on the platter(dust or whatever). I don't know why but they always seem to be located in the windows system32 folder. If there are still unallocted sectors it could recover the files and move them there, if not you will need a new drive. I have had success using the older Hitachi drive utility on the Ultimate Boot Disk when no other utility would work.

Hmmmm I think my issue may have been related to Google Chrome. I've noticed a trend of crashing when using/opening/closing that browser, so I uninstalled it and moved back to Firefox. We shall see!

PS: Another fresh install of the OS today because Windows Update hung on one of the last of 137 updates this morning forcing me to hard-reboot and causing a BSOD on boot problem (something about not being able to mount the drive.)

So now I am sitting with a fresh install of Windows 7, all 750MB of updates, and I still crashed today (Chrome related I believe.)

Ok, so I am still getting a crash and error on a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit; All Windows Updates are installed, but it crashed on me today while I was at work and the message displayed when I got home was something like... reboot and select proper boot device

I did a repair of the master boot record with bootsect; anybody have a clue?

dxdiag is attached on yet another clean install of Windows...

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    53.7 KB · Views: 30
Using Seagate's DOS Tools, I ran a LONG test on my storage drive and it passed without error. I have a feeling that my main drive will have errors.

Thought I was running my C:\ drive to begin with, but I incorrectly remembered which drive label was which. Will be running the C:\ drive later on this evening and posting my results.

Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox have been crashing my computer lately (freezing for quite some time, then recovering from the freeze and operating again, over and over at random until it finally BSOD's the system.)

IE seems to be working alright.

Stable this evening for a few hours on the clean install (adding more programs as we speak) on the other HDD.

Running Sea DOS Tools this evening (hope the power doesn't go out... I'm in the middle of a blizzard.)

Well guys, my problem was indeed a bad drive... Started Sea DOS Tools last night on the original OS drive and it had 5 errors by 1/5 of the way into the test! Woke up this morning and it was frozen half way with a message that I would want to replace my drive.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new HDD!

Yeah, but if I get an SSD as a boot drive, I'll still need another HDD for backups.

SSD + HDD :) An SSD is a must have for at least windows and some apps. with price going down, a good ~128gb SSD cost ~100$.

HDD price are back to good price, you can find WD Black for fast storage/games and green for mass storage et very good price. I have 2 black 1TB and 1 Green 2TB. They serve me very well !

Oh, I would like to mention that I got a BSOD yesterday at random for MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, however, I realized that my DRAM timing control settings weren't perfectly set for my specific RAM using the AUTO 1866 timings, so I adjusted those today as well as the DRAM Bus Voltage (was at 2v, lowered it to 1.65v that my RAM calls for.)

Is it possible that my slave drive (which was crashing Windows nonstop while I had the OS on it, and it failed testing) which was still enabled, but sitting idle, caused this BSOD?

Oh, I would like to mention that I got a BSOD yesterday at random for MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, however, I realized that my DRAM timing control settings weren't perfectly set for my specific RAM using the AUTO 1866 timings, so I adjusted those today as well as the DRAM Bus Voltage (was at 2v, lowered it to 1.65v that my RAM calls for.)

Is it possible that my slave drive (which was crashing Windows nonstop while I had the OS on it, and it failed testing) which was still enabled, but sitting idle, caused this BSOD?

As long as it is connected the drive it will cause problems.

Back