• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keeps crashing...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoMonitor

Registered
CM Storm Scout Case
Rampage III Formula motherboard
Intel® Core™ i7-970 3.2GHz (6 core/12 thread)
Corsair H80 water cooling
BFG 1000w 36A (BFGR1000WEXPSU) power supply
OCZ 6GB DDR3 (OCZ3P1866C9LV2G 6GB triple channel RAM kit)
MSI GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II 2GB GDDR5/OC and nVidia GeForce GT430
2x 1TB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Well, not crashing per-say, but close enough.

I have owned my setup for about a year now and have had to re-format three times on top of the original clean install in that time frame. The first format was a while back with the last two formats being within the past month.

I do not download illegal content, I do however download games from Steam and Origin.

Until this most recent format I was keeping Windows Update up to date, but this time I am putting it off to see if Windows Update may be the culprit.

The symptoms of the "crash" are quite odd in my opinion as it is nothing I have ever seen happen before in my 15+ years of computing.

Everything works fine at first, day after day with no issues, then all of the sudden one day it will freeze up on me. The most recent time I was loading a Youtube video and flash player froze which subsequently froze Chrome. Chrome froze Windows and so on. When this happens, I can still communicate on TeamSpeak for a minute or two before the entire OS hangs without error message or anything of that nature.

During this freeze/hang, the only object with the ability to move is my mouse cursor, otherwise, even TaskManager is frozen.

Once this happens the first time, upon a restart, the computer will run fine until I try to load ANY kind of program including an Explorer window, TaskManager, Chrome, Steam, Origin, TeamSpeak, or even if I click on the start menu icon (does not bring up the menu, but freezes the computer.)

I tried system repair, system restore, etc, but nothing helps at all.

I do have my legitimate Windows 7 64/32 bit CD's so it's not a HUGE issue reformatting, however, it is getting annoying to the point where I would like to know if there is a way to pinpoint what is causing me so many problems.

I have re-seated my RAM, verified normal operating temperatures, etc.

When the computer freezes, the "HDD" light stays solid red; at least I think the one that blinks is the HDD light, correct me if I'm wrong though.

CHKDSK came up with a handfull of bad sectors on my main drive (C:\) and repaired them all in the past, however these drives are nearly brand new (about a year old) and I don't see them causing such a failure.

Anybody have any good suggestions for where to start? All of my programs have already been re-installed on my secondary HDD leaving the OS nearly barebones. (haven't even installed SP's or .NET framework updates)

If load the system with a stress test like OCCT ? what happen ?

I like OCCT cause it have a "normal" CPU stress test, a linpack CPU stress test and some GPU test too. So you can stress pretty much everything in one simple prog.

Start with 10-20 min test, if it crash in quick test like this, there is something wrong for sure.

Use the Linpack test. You can stress with lower ram used, this way you can see if its the CPU alone that crash or the memory. If it crash on lower memory used, your CPU/motherboard (overclock? and/or bios settings) may have something wrong.

If it crash on high amount of memory used, test your memory with memtest86.

The linpack mode is in the second tab. ( i prefer Linpack mode on Core Ix ) But if it passed 1hr on large data set, the CPU can handle some load :)

Try a memtest86 ( bootable on CD/usb key ) to make sure the memory is ok.

Ever since my I7 920 and newer board/CPU, i never tested my OC more than with a 2-3hrs of linpack test. A 20min test is just to make sure its "somewhat ok".

Run a memtest86 since it seems to be CPU stable at some point.

If it pass a memtest86,
And some CPU stress test,
I think the problem is software related. Im the kind of guy who do fresh install very often, all my games and apps are backed up on other HDDs, a fresh install take 1-2 hrs and everything is back and running as before.

Agreed. How many passes of Memtest86 are we talking about?

On the second pass, here's what happened, but it was still running the tests fine besides this visual error.

I have found other posts (even on these forums) with similar memtest86 issues such as this and every one of them recommends an older version of memtest86 (v4.20 memtest86+)

v4.0a
IMG_20121207_192930.jpg

Last edited:
I had similar issue on my HTPC testing my new G.skill Ares ram kit. I tryed with older Memtest and everything ran fine.

If you've gone through 1 or 2 pass without real error, you can try to test your CPU in linpack mode for a little longer but in the end, i think that your problem is software related.

Well, IMO, a clean install could be something to try. Im not the kind of guy who takes few days to work around a solution when a clean install is so fast and works well.

This has happened repeatedly on clean installs.

Time from clean install to crash ranges anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 months.

Ho ok, i missunderstood. I already had weaird issue liek this and the problem was the powersupply, wich ran perfect on a friend computer (AMD X4 965BE) but failed on my X58+I7 platform. Your CPU/memory/motherboard seems to handle the load and test, try a fresh install and see if its OK. You can try another PSU before if you want too.

I am on a fresh install, but this has happened on multiple fresh installs over the past few months. Not looking to throw random parts at this (similar to repairing a vehicle in that respect) until I can narrow the problem down.

Is there any type of software that can on-the-fly log and save hangs such as this even though the computer crashes and becomes unresponsive?

Windows habe a crash dump file. You can take a look and see if you have more info about the crash in the crash dump file.

Back